PDA

View Full Version : Bad connection while playing on XBL. Please help!

Jbutler19
03-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Ok well i don't know if there is already a thread on this or not but anyway i have a DSL modem with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless-G router. My xbox isn't wireless one of my pc's are(i have 2) but i recently had to wipe both of my pc's clean because i had a virus and every since i did that whenever i play on XBL i get 1-2 bars(ping) and sometimes 3 if i'm lucky. If anyone can help me please just post here or you can email me [juggalo2008@hotmail.com]

Symmetric-XBA
03-01-2009, 10:32 PM
not too sure, i'll look into it though. fyi, if possible get away from dsl and get a direct line into the 360, then you'll never have to worry again.

Ainokeatoo
03-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok well i don't know if there is already a thread on this or not but anyway i have a DSL modem with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless-G router. My xbox isn't wireless one of my pc's are(i have 2) but i recently had to wipe both of my pc's clean because i had a virus and every since i did that whenever i play on XBL i get 1-2 bars(ping) and sometimes 3 if i'm lucky. If anyone can help me please just post here or you can email me [juggalo2008@hotmail.com]

I'm using the same router, it might be something with the provider, or you can try unplugging the power to the router wait a few minutes then plug it back in. if that doesn't work I don't know how to help yah.

Variation-XBA
03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Like they said, try unplugguing everything then plug it back in to reset it, and also try plugging your 360 directly to the router and see how it goes.

mrmp3
03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Might be time for a new router, that's an old router. First off, I have the WORST luck with Linksys. Constant disconnects, throughput is never that good, and they always die RIGHT AFTER the warranty expires.

For me, Netgear has been the most reliable hands down. Never disconnects, and they have pretty good throughput. Hands down though, D-Link, when you enable QoS in the firmware, is the fastest router I've had to this date. It did disconnect occasionally (3 times a week when I used it), but I never had to unplug/replug the router ever. It would just randomly reset.

I would suggest you get a new router, but if you don't want to spend the money, I'd suggest updating the firmware. It is an old router though, so it could have the most up-to-date firmware, but if it doesn't, it could help. It honestly just sounds like its near the end of its life cycle and it had nothing to do with you wiping your computers.

The last thing it could possibly be is the NAT is restricted. Unfortunately, I can't find out if mine is strict or moderate cause the new connection test on NXE doesn't show that anymore, but if you boot up Halo matchmaking, and while your searching it says the NAT is restricted, then you need to forward the ports to your 360 in the firmware.

I don't know how network savvy you are, but the most complicated thing honestly for new people is getting to the firmware, which isn't that hard. You just open an internet browser (i.e. or firefox recommended) and type the router's ip address in the url (without http:// or ftp://, just numbers and the dots). For this router, it will either be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100 . If I'm wrong, just google default ip address for linksys routers. If I'm right it SHOULD ask for a username or password or go directly to the firmware, the default username and password is usually for linksys:

Username: <blank> (don't type anything here just leave it blank)
Password: admin

Other username and password combinations are Username: admin/ Pword: password, Username: <blank>/ Password: password

There should be an update firmware button somewhere or it'll check online for the most up-to-date one. If it doesn't auto check, you need to download it from Linksys site. If the most recent one is the same version number as yours, its the most up-to-date.

The other, more complicated (but from what I hear totally worth it) option is downloading DD-WRT and using THAT for your firmware. Go to http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html and type wrt54gs, check the bottom of your router to see what version yours is and download that. Follow the instructions on how to do it, and I guarantee it'll run faster and smoother.