PDA

View Full Version : Red Rings of Death 3rd Time

mk1gti
03-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Feb 15 shipped back, recd. Feb 20th, Dead again March 18th, not even one month. . . Played it perhaps three or four times since received back before it puked again. . .

So I talk to first Scott tonite, then MJ, explained situation that 3rd screwed up 360, tired of playing exchange game, lots of ranting, polite persuasion, not so polite persuasion and no promise of anything except for yet another exchange.

I am tired and I am through. I give up. When I get the 'repaired' console back I'm just going to sell it, plus the games I have now.

I'm glad that Microsoft has a lawsuit against them for this crap, I hope they loose major big time.

Anyway, just had to rant, I know I'm pretty much powerless in this situation but I do have the option of just not playing that game anymore and that's what I've chosen to do. No more Microsoft products of any kind. Not even Windows. . . I've used Ubuntu for the last two years and am quite happy with it, the only MS product I've got is job related so otherwise, screw'em.

Fargoth
03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Feb 15 shipped back, recd. Feb 20th, Dead again March 18th, not even one month. . . Played it perhaps three or four times since received back before it puked again. . .

So I talk to first Scott tonite, then MJ, explained situation that 3rd screwed up 360, tired of playing exchange game, lots of ranting, polite persuasion, not so polite persuasion and no promise of anything except for yet another exchange.

I am tired and I am through. I give up. When I get the 'repaired' console back I'm just going to sell it, plus the games I have now.

I'm glad that Microsoft has a lawsuit against them for this crap, I hope they loose major big time.

Anyway, just had to rant, I know I'm pretty much powerless in this situation but I do have the option of just not playing that game anymore and that's what I've chosen to do. No more Microsoft products of any kind. Not even Windows. . . I've used Ubuntu for the last two years and am quite happy with it, the only MS product I've got is job related so otherwise, screw'em.
Sorry for you misfortune. I'm sure you've just been very unlucky. Can I ask that you give them 1 more shot? If it RRoDs again then by all means sell it. You could probably sell a couple of your stuff here. (Can we still do that?)

CrazyCougar
03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Hey mk, Sorry to hear about your situation. Many of us are in the same boat. I have gone through 8 consoles myself. Now, I have 3 of them running in my house, but still....Its very frustrating. BUT, the newer consoles have a far less failure rate and maybe you'll be lucky enough to just get one of those back instead of your previous fixed console. If you love the games and Xbox Live I would encourage you to stick it out for at least one more time and see if you get better luck.

I'm not going to condone the failure rate for the 360 for the first 2 years or so, but I will say at least MS stepped up with a new revamped warranty system to help out a bit. Still frustrating, no doubt, but at least some effort was made on their part to right a wrong.

Hope everything works out for you regardless of what you decide.

SkilledJR
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Sell me that p.o.s. and use the money to buy yourself a resident evil jasper elite 360.

Hurr0
03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Skilled is right go buy yourself a new Xbox or request this time that they replace it with a jasper chip. They won't fail you and they are in all 360's that were purchased after 2006 or thats the rumor. I got the info from a local GS manager and he's really into gaming. If you do plan on selling it I want the cover! :huh:

Jesse757x
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
just go buy a ps3 :eek:

Reclaimer
04-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I like how Gamestop will take your 360 for credit even if it doesn't work.
I traded my dead 360 in towards an Arcade edition. I have different reasons..
Bought the 120 gig drive from Circuit city for 70 bucks days before, my old 360 died but I wanted the Arcade for the HDMI port.

Decided I could pay whatever it was to get my old 360 replaced with the same model and probably have to do it a few times later on.. or just take the credit and get an Arcade edition that just arrived in their inventory.

FrankForce77
04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
You could always do the Wal-Mart shuffle........

JarkMan
04-04-2009, 11:23 PM
i feel your pain happend to me 5 times

MXracer721
04-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Pretty sure they check the serial numbers on the consoles. And seeing as Wal-Mart is plastered all over the site I bet your post gets edited :-)

FUBAR JDHD
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
I own a console only gaming center. We have (25) Xbox 360s and we have had THIRTEEN of them get the RROD... Let me say that again - THIRTEEN...more than 50% have gone bad. So believe me when I say, I feel your pain...

Couple of things to keep in mind:

Have you tried the "Towel Trick" - cause it really does work if done correctly...

Make sure if you have a 2006 or a very early 2007 Mfr Date - than you trade it in now and buy a newer one - cause you will constantly have the same problem over and over again. You want the HDMI version. They run ALOT cooler and much quieter.

You need to make it part of a weekly routine that you use an air compressor (in those cans you get a Staples or Office Max) and blow out the back and side vents. Once dust starts to accumulate there, its pretty much just a matter of time. We clean our consoles every 3 to 5 days...

laughs
04-24-2009, 04:19 PM

lol... Rep points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snake Eyez
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm on my third at this point. Luckily they have been replaced by the warrenty. If this one blows out of warrenty then I'll likely go the Gamestop route.

o0 Mayh3m 0o
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
unlucky m8!
^^

ChroniC<420
05-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Most of us had this **** so it's ok

BloodyBandage
05-10-2009, 11:04 PM
I've had my 360 heat up like crazy a couple times and it also gets very loud but never got the ring of death. I saw a pretty cool "mod" way of keeping it cool. Take a wet towel/damp (if wet could ruin it I think) and wrap it around the system. Eventually it cools it down and tricks it into not going into self destruct mode. I think there is a video of it on youtube.

Kasumi'sHairbow
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I just got 3Red Lights for the second time. With funds tight I might just rent to own an Elite or save to repair the one I have.

Variation-XBA
05-22-2009, 02:58 AM
I just got 3Red Lights for the second time. With funds tight I might just rent to own an Elite or save to repair the one I have.

3 red lights are covered under warranty, why not get it sent in for free?

Patriot65108
05-27-2009, 05:27 AM
That definitely sucks big time. From what I hear, RROD is caused by overheating. My brother has had RROD but he played the crap out if, sometimes like 5-8 hrs in a day!!
I've had my for a year and a half, no issues. But then again, the most I've ever played is maybe 2-3 hrs at a time.

Patriot65108
05-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Oh my GOD!! This can't be happening!!
Ok, the day after I post my reply bragging about how I had no issues with my 360 elite, I turn on my xbox and what do I get? Flashing red light and E74 error.

Dammit!! People, if you've never had issues with your 360, never post in forums bragging about it...Microsoft will find out, reach out through Xbox Live and crush your gaming bliss :)

Anyway, will be shipping my 360 out on Saturday, will see how their warranty works. Look for updated on that from me here. Oh, BTW, when I submitted repair online, xbox.com/support advised me that my console was "out of standard warranty." I processed it anyway and it cost $0.00. Apparently the "standard warranty" is only one year and the RROD and E74 error issues are covered for 3 years. Just a heads up because I almost hit the ceiling when I thought Microsoft was going to make me pay for the repair.

Variation-XBA
05-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Apparently the "standard warranty" is only one year and the RROD and E74 error issues are covered for 3 years. Just a heads up because I almost hit the ceiling when I thought Microsoft was going to make me pay for the repair.

The first year covers whatever other than damage where RROD/E74 are covered for 3.