PDA

View Full Version : Buying another 360 - how can I make sure I won't get RROD?

SamSmith
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm going to be buying a new console for media centre purposes.

Is there a certain model number / manufacture date that I should be looking for to ensure that it's not 'tainted' or anything?

Hurr0
03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Sam, from my local gamestop manager - his sources tell him that anything put together after 06-07 will NOT get the RROD, but if you really want to make sure, buy and elite with a jasper chip. You can tell the difference just by looking at the voltage on the back of the Xbox 360 itself, if its like 12.5v then you don't want it, you want the 14.5 volt or whatever, it makes a difference. Anyhow I dont know if the numbers are exact, just look for something at 14V:cheers:

FrankForce77
03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
HurrO is correct on this one, I personally bought a refurb as I know that it has the new Jasper or later motherboard on it cuz it's a Pro with an HDMI port. Plus with Microsoft refurbs you get a 2 year warranty with them and it is only $40 to extend that warranty for up to one year. But hey, your buying an xbox 360 man, RRoD is a risk that we all took when we bought a console with an 11% failure rate :)

Variation-XBA
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Do you have the new Red Resident Evil 5 bundles there Sam? If so, those have the new chips in them, but I'm not sure how stock overseas is where you live.

OBL infad3ll
03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
all 360 models have the jasper in them now. so if your using it for a media center than you could save a few bucks and get an arcade system.
and to make sure its a jasper , look at the label on the back (you should be able to see it through the window in the box where you find the serial number, but you might have to push the xbox a little to the right to see the voltage) and find the voltage numbers. it should say: 12v.....12.1A

Variation-XBA
03-25-2009, 10:54 PM
all 360 models have the jasper in them now. so if your using it for a media center than you could save a few bucks and get an arcade system.
and to make sure its a jasper , look at the label on the back (you should be able to see it through the window in the box where you find the serial number, but you might have to push the xbox a little to the right to see the voltage) and find the voltage numbers. it should say: 12v.....12.1A

He's overseas though, so his case is a little different and their stock isn't the same as ours I believe.

Hurr0
03-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Hurr0 always right! :hardcore::jammin:

Symmetric-XBA
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
i posted some pics on how to tell if its a jasper chipset that you're getting in your 360. it should be under the thread about the new re5 360's.

Ry
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
tbh, I think whatever you do, your going to get ****ed and get the RRoD , just a matter of time.

Hurr0
03-26-2009, 01:46 PM
I've had my 360 since they put them in production and I haven't had one problem with the RRoD but then again you never have a clue until you see that notorious symbol that will stop your gaming right in the middle of 4.2 of RES5
I hate that:yikes: