PDA

View Full Version : Is my E305 faceplate a fake?

Siuto
04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I am a first time poster here. I recently bided on an E305 faceplate off eBay and only after I won the auction did I know that there are fake ones out there. And adding to the problem is the fact that it does not come with the original packaging (the same seller did have another E305 faceplate in the original packaging on auction, not to mention few other rare faceplates like the “zero hour”). How can I work out if my one is a genuine one? I search high and low for this information on the internet, but I failed to find anything concrete. All I know is the following:

1. All the fakes ones I have seen have flaws that are relatively easy to spot, with things like the actual ring pattern on the faceplate, the power button not being reflective/mirror finish, poor fit and of poor quality etc. So far, none of these characteristics indicate that my faceplate is a fake as it does look “flawless” on the front when comparing to the genuine E305 faceplates pictures I have seen online.

2. I also noticed that the date of manufacture on the back (the ring of numbers with an arrow) is indicating the date of May 2005 which is when E3 was held.

3. I have read on a forum where some guy is selling a genuine one and he said that there is a Microsoft holographic sticker on the back (but I have never seen any photographic proof). This is what I am not sure of which leads to the following questions.

Does anybody know if the genuine E305 faceplate has any Microsoft branding or hologram sticker on the back of the faceplate? Better yet, can anybody post a picture of the back of a genuine E305 faceplate?

Thanks in advance.

Variation-XBA
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Sucks that you bought one without the case, cause even if it IS real, you don't know what # it is now

SpaceGhost2K
04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Here's a brief description of the back:

It does not say "Patent Pending" or have the holo stickers or Microsoft's name on it. It also does not have Mad Catz on it.

It has a metal cover over the hinge on the USB door, and not plastic.

The back of the power button is black.

The back of the synch button is gray.

On the front, the mem card door B is white, the rings are not printed on it. The synch button is gray and the rings are not printed on it.

The power button is silver.