PDA

View Full Version : Netflix "Movie Party" problems already?

Symmetric-XBA
07-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Some interesting reports from joystiq about Netflix's inability to do "movie parties"

So much for our Friday night plans to give The Iron Giant the ol' MST3K treatment. Just as we were dimming the lights and pulling our headsets close, the fine print struck: "This can't be watched with a party." As it turns out, certain Netflix Instant Watch videos can't be subjected to the new "Movie Parties" feature, included in the next Xbox Live Dashboard update. Pineapple Express and The Legend of Drunken Master are two additional examples of incompatible movies we stumbled across -- there's no way to tell until you select a movie in your queue -- in our preview of the updated Netflix experience (video after the break). One obvious connection is that all three films are licensed under Netflix's "Starz Play" catalog.

You'll remember that when Instant Watch first launched on Xbox 360 there was a licensing issue that blocked Sony's Columbia Pictures content, though this was eventually resolved. We've reached out to Netlfix and Microsoft for comment on the current issue. Now, if you'll excuse us, we've got to find an alternate use for all this popcorn we'd planned to toss about our living room

Variation-XBA
07-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Doesn't matter to us Canadians since we don't even get the service at all :(

Unreal
07-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Doesn't matter to us Canadians since we don't even get the service at all :(
And right now I would rather have the service with some issues then not have the service at all :crying:

Variation-XBA
07-27-2009, 12:05 AM
And right now I would rather have the service with some issues then not have the service at all :crying:

Amen brother....amen :(

Shawn-XBA
07-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Only Starz and Disney movies can not be watched in movie party, all other movies can be watched. Just FYI, I'm sure all of you have seen pictures of the movie party and you see that you sit in a theater next to your friends and can do things like throw popcorn at each other, well there is a feature that you can watch the movie in full screen so you can get a better movie experience.

Symmetric-XBA
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Only Starz and Disney movies can not be watched in movie party, all other movies can be watched.

Yeah but honestly why wouldn't you release your update w/ these movie types available to watch ya know? Its like when MS released the Netflix service to begin with. They were like "here ya go, watch these movies via netflix on your 360!". However, what they didn't tell you is that Netflix determines whether you watch it in HD or not, not the consumer, and they also didn't tell you how a lot of movies you will not be able to watch either due to rights or the fact that its just not available via the 360. Then as the time progresses ppl are complaining about Netflix left and right, and start demanding something take place. Then MS says that it will "update" its netflix feature and allow all these "new" features that actually were talked about earlier around the time of the netflix launch on 360. After all this we find out that the patch isn't even %100 and instead STILL provides issues for consumers. sadly I don't see much improvement. you can't really classify features you talked about at launch, then did nothing with for months, then say "we're having these NEW features". lol ok MS sure I almost belive that. The only way I can see this having any benefit at all to the consumers is if they fix Netflix's resource and network drain of bandwidth.