PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Asylum Impressions

bdavid81
08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
First off, kudos to Rocksteady Studios for a damn awesome game overall. It took me about 17 hours, and I collected 80/240 riddles, unlocked 4-7 of the challenge rooms, and had a ton of fun during the whole experience.

Voice Acting was one of the greatest things about this game. All voice actors for main characters were wonderful, and even voice-overs for guards, police, and other characters in the game were well done. Music was quite impressive at a few parts, and really fit the game where it was used.

Graphics, although I am still in standard definition, very impressive. It's one of the better looking games for its art style. Environments were dark and creepy, with lots of variation. Hallways of the asylum really offered that 'creepy' feeling, and I even had a few old-school Resident Evil moments where I jumped. It's pretty awesome to be perched on a dark ledge of a building in the heavy rain, and to glide down, landing behind an enemy and silently taking him down.

The story is pretty decent. I won't compare it to any other 'superhero games' as its a weak genre in general. Some reviews said it was just below par of the plot from The Dark Knight movie, but don't get your hopes up. It's nowhere near as well done, but it's good enough.

Collectibles are a pretty big part of the game, especially if you are aiming to play the challenge rooms. As you discover more riddles throughout the game, you unlock the challenge rooms to play. Those rooms offer some varied environments that may require you to quickly and silently take down all enemies, or fight wave after wave and survive them all. Top 100 Leaderboards are supported in terms of Live-enabled features.

Boss fights in the game were not always too impressive, but the game stayed fun. There was 1 fight in particular that I really enjoyed, and although it was easy, it was pretty fast-paced and fun. You'll 'fight' one boss 3 times, and each time seemed pretty cool, especially the final one. This game had some pretty awesome moments that were clearly inspired by Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3. It's good to see them use some ideas from other games, no matter what console its on. You'll know the scene I'm talking about once you play it.

Anyway, the game had a decent end battle, nothing spectacular, but the lead-in just before the battle was rather entertaining. I haven't touched the game since Saturday, and unfortunately I need to return it to my friend's workplace tonight as it's out tomorrow and the rental needs to be back before release time or she gets in trouble. :)

My only true disappointment was the fact that the game lacks a NewGame+ mode, which would have been neat to play with all gadgets and upgrades that I ended the game with. You can however go all around Arkham Island but there doesn't appear to be as many enemies around so it'll take you quite a bit to get whatever upgrades you didn't get during the story. I ended with 80/240 riddles found and 15/20 upgrades.

If anyone has questions about the game, please feel free to ask. :)

Variation-XBA
08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Good read, submit this as a review!

bdavid81
08-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Good read, submit this as a review!

Have no clue how I'd go about doing that. :) I'd re-write it more in the style of a review too, in that case.

Variation-XBA
08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Have no clue how I'd go about doing that. :) I'd re-write it more in the style of a review too, in that case.

On the frontpage of XBA, you can game search on the top right side, look up batman and it'll bring up that game. As of tomorrow (when it releases) there will be a big "Write a Review" and submit it in there.

BlindSniper
08-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I'm liking it a lot. Fighting each boss 3 times kind of sucks though.

Just played through about 3 hours and have to say I would be playing more if I didn't have other stuff to do today.

Plus I got it for 38 dollars Canadian.....a girl was working the till at EB and it kept getting rang in for 38. Is this the real price or is this girl going to get fired? Either way, I'm happy!

bdavid81
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I'm liking it a lot. Fighting each boss 3 times kind of sucks though.

Just played through about 3 hours and have to say I would be playing more if I didn't have other stuff to do today.

Plus I got it for 38 dollars Canadian.....a girl was working the till at EB and it kept getting rang in for 38. Is this the real price or is this girl going to get fired? Either way, I'm happy!

You don't fight each boss 3 times. You'll encounter 1 particular boss 3 times. And yes, that's the real price for us in Canada. Wal_Mart started it, Future Shop, Best Buy, and others started following suit.

BlindSniper
08-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Ahh I see. Great deal!

And I know what you mean now by the one boss 3 times. If it was all of them 3 times I'd have no sense of accomplishment after taking them down!

Variation-XBA
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Pretty badass so far, I played for about 8 hours straight, going to finish it tomorrow then get the XBA review done for all yous to read asap

Bakeman
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm having a blast with the game. I need to pay more attention or read the book because I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do or look for when the riddles come up. It says I'm at like 8% complete.

At what I think was the first boss battle I dodge the guy a few times and he just fell over dead. I was like WTF. Is that suppose to happen? I don't remember doing anything to him except maybe one batarang. The boss battle with Baine was cool.

wicked_d365
08-26-2009, 04:54 PM
You guys are killin me here. Someone hook me up with 60 bucks so I can get my own. lol

Glad to hear it's good. I really enjoyed the demo, play it from time to time. Looking forward to grabbing this one.

Variation-XBA
08-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Just finished it, was AWESOME from start to finish and the boss fights were pretty fun to do.

the scarecrow parts though were easily the highlight of the whole game for me, absolutely astounding

Ricepuppet
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I started today on the game, played like 9 hours straight giving me a well-worth headache hehe.

Easily one of the better games i've played on the 360, next to Gears of War 1 and Mass Effect. Those are the games that get me hooked and suck me in for hours, totally forgetting about my environment.

Every time i wanted to stop with the Bat, it just kept pulling me in and in, untill i forced myself after, what, 9 hours to stop playing.

I'll do it again tomorrow though XD

LINKINPARK8591
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
it's been awesome since i've been playing it. enjoying every aspect so far. ;)

oddjob428
09-04-2009, 07:27 AM
I am playing the game now and like it so far. It has good atmosphere and gameplay. I also like that there are no loading screens.

Unreal
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
It is a fun game with only a couple of minor complaints. I am going through on hard now.

Alex5101
09-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Woah, woah, woah. 38$? Mine cost me 80$ with tax. D:

Ah whatever, it was totally worth it. This is the Batman game I've been waiting for. It's really fun and it sorta reminds me of a few other games. I find it has a Condemned 2 sort of feel too it (atmosphere and enemy wise that is). Only more gliding and less guns. XD

bdavid81
09-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Woah, woah, woah. 38$? Mine cost me 80$ with tax. D:

Ah whatever, it was totally worth it. This is the Batman game I've been waiting for. It's really fun and it sorta reminds me of a few other games. I find it has a Condemned 2 sort of feel too it (atmosphere and enemy wise that is). Only more gliding and less guns. XD

You must be in the US? It was a deal for Canadians that started with WAL-MART alone, then other retailers followed suit before the game released. Awesome price, and although I wasn't going to buy it, I ended up doing so because I'll play through at least once more in the future.