PDA

View Full Version : MX vs ATV: Reflex Demo

MXracer721
11-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Who's got it? I know not a ton of people play the series on here, but I think a few of you might. The game is completely new. Preloading where you flick the stick is gone, now you just lean back for high and long jumps, lean forward for short and low. Took me about a half hour or so of playing to get used to using the right stick for turning, but I'm confused as to why they have the clutch button on the same side as throttle? Not sure why they moved it for the demo unless they are kind of leaning towards not using it as much. I think this is going to turn out to be the best game in the series and is bringing on change was much needed.

Vampero
11-19-2009, 07:19 AM
The demo is out?

Kamshaft
11-19-2009, 08:33 AM
I've been playing the full game for a bit now. Our review should be up Monday.

Marc_01
11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm a old head that has been around when this site had ties to motocrossmadness2.com days.

What the series needed in my opinion is now executed in Reflex. Remember Mx (like most track based motor sports) is mostly:

Speed
Braking
Turning
Timing
Addaptive

Through the years, Rainbow seemed to concentrate on "Rhythm Racing" or the speed and timing aspects of the sport, But turning and braking needed a the skill of a 2 year old. Not this time.

At first I really thought the game was crap, but I tell you after playing the demo for a couple of hours, you have to learn to play it different than all the rest of the games rainbow has developed. This one is truely a new beast.

For example, if you go blazing into a turn not at the right angle, you either wash out or get bucked because you didn't set up for the line right. Awesome. And when I say "set up", leaning the rider and arcing that bike on the right line and making sure you hit any bump, whoop or jump nice and square.

The icing on the cake this time in reflex is the deforming track! I remember this technology being developed or considered or maybe just wished for in the MCM2 days. Now its here and its tuff. It has single handily crushed your previous consistent fast lap plans. Each lap is different now boy and girls.

I'm eager to see how it works on say a 5-10 lap race. Meaning, is the Deforming on the track "slowed" down during longer races? We'll see.

Playing Mantis
11-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I've been playing the full game for a bit now. Our review should be up Monday.

I saw your post on the official MX vs ATV forums, so I'm gonna be watching for the review.

I decided to get MX vs ATV Unleashed for PC after playing the reflex demo. There are tons of amazing user made tracks, and some people at mxg-hq.com are working on an update called "REV" or "MXA 2009".

They will be modeling all the 2010 bikes and gear (at higher quality), and adding improved lighting effects to Unleashed, along with more realistic physics. It won't have some of the new innovations from reflex, but you can get Unleashed for PC for $5 from newegg.com, and the requirements/recommended hardware is very low.

Wish THQ would release Reflex on PC, it's amazing what the community has come up with.

Kamshaft
11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I get nothing when I type msg-hq.com.

Playing Mantis
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
I get nothing when I type msg-hq.com.

oops, mxg-hq.com

MXracer721
11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
what are your lap times on the demo? my best on a 450 is 58.29. I hate that the clutch is on the right button instead of the left. No clue why they did that, so I actually don't use the clutch at all after the start.

Kamshaft
11-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Review is now posted!

http://www.xboxaddict.com/Staff-Review/13196/MX-vs.-ATV:-Reflex.html

Gimme some feedback.

wicked_d365
11-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Review is now posted!

http://www.xboxaddict.com/Staff-Review/13196/MX-vs.-ATV:-Reflex.html

Gimme some feedback.

Nice review.
I enjoyed the demo and have always loved the MX vs ATV series.
I'm adding it to my Gamefly now.

Kamshaft
11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Nice review.
I enjoyed the demo and have always loved the MX vs ATV series.
I'm adding it to my Gamefly now.

Thanks!

MXracer721
11-23-2009, 06:14 PM
The review was good! I'm dissapointed theres only 8 supercross tracks though, I think thats the least out of any release so far. The last two releases were supposed to have DLC and didn't so I don't have my hopes up for this one. I'll believe it when I see it. The sound (from what I noticed on the demo) is way better than the last release but still I don't get how they can't get these spot on, but it is better and the bike somewhat revs out when going through whoop sections. I'm sooo glad they got the online working well. My question is, how is the lag? Still the problem of what I see on the screen isn't exactly what you see on the screen? Or if you wanted to block someone in the turn you go waaay in front of them in order to block them on their screen. I am really excited to pick this one up next week.

LookASailboat
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I saw Kamshaft's demo review and decided to sign up. Review was spot on man.

Took me a good weekend before I got the hang of the new controls, but I really love it now. It's really something you have to learn. I really like it since it feels just fresh and different for this series. I don't think a lot of people give the control system enough credit and instead get frustrated over it.

I'm looking forward to the game release next week and glad I found some place that'll be good to post about the game :)

I'm disappointed Kamshaft made no reference though to that Daydream trailer (http://bit.ly/3A19zV)for Reflex with the bikini girls! lol jk

Variation-XBA
11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
I saw Kamshaft's demo review and decided to sign up. Review was spot on man.

Welcome to XBA! Stick around!

Kamshaft
11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I saw Kamshaft's demo review and decided to sign up. Review was spot on man

Thanks for the kind words, love my Motocross games! Glad you enjoyed the review. Stick around this site has been around for a while, and if there's a motocross game out there, we'll review it!

Welcome!
:rockout:

LookASailboat
11-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Hey Kam, i'm not sure how much you can talk about the game, but did you get to try a bunch of the courses? I'm just curious how the terrain deformation is like in different settings. Like can you feel the difference between riding in sand and dirt, etc? If you can't answer that, hell, I can wait the extra 6 days. lol

I'm just glad i've been able to get friends to try the demo and get them into it. Now they all wanna have races when the game's released.

Kamshaft
12-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Did you pick up the game?

CompiledMonkey
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm looking forward to trying this game out. I'm a huge fan of racing games, and actually plan to start a review site specifically for racing games. I liked your review and look forward to seeing how I feel about the game.

MXracer721
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I picked it up Tuesday when I got off work. I've played a lil over 10 hours or so on it. If you would have told me Rainbow didn't make the game I would have believed you. The game is great so far. I played a few nationals, enough to get to what I needed for supercross. They are really fun but it's clear some nationals are made for 250f's. The first track is a blast on a 250f. The gameplay is really nice to have a change but it's obvious this is the first generation of the reflex system. It's taking me quite a while to get the supercross tracks down the way I want. I unlocked them all and now I'm going back and getting them down one by one. Too many times i go flying off the track while still getting used to the controls. It's nice you don't crash as much but without pre-load it's really hard to get back up to speed if you crash mid section on supercross. The crash avoidance system is a nice touch but I often find it has me forcing the rider the opposite way than I should. Not a big deal but when the rider is on his way over the bars and to avoid crashing you have to move the rider forward, it just doesn't feel right. The soundtrack IMO kind of sucks. I would rather them spend money on a making tracks than the music since I have an iPod but for those that don't go that route, the music isn't that great. The bikes sound better than the last version but are still a bit off. The 125 sounds pretty damn good as does the 250f. The 250 and the 450f are ok, but the 250 gets kind of annoying. Overall I give the game a 94/100 because I am a motocross fan and rider. Rainbow gets HUGE props for COMPLETELY remaking an already proven game. The graphics and controls are better than ever, I just can't imagine how good it'll be when they come out with the next in the series. Until then I hope they give is some track downloads so I don't have to revert to the other games in the series to freshen things up!

Oh also, has anyone else realized the clutch is now only really useful on the start? I haven't yet found it helpful any place else besides that.

Kamshaft
12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
You should post a review. Then I'll post it live on the front page.

MXracer721
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
You should post a review. Then I'll post it live on the front page.
Alright cool, I'll play more of the game besides nationals or supercross and get a review up Sunday or Monday night. That way I can give a more well rounded review since more casual players will play more than just sx/nats.

PRIZE
12-12-2009, 12:05 AM
yo i played mcm back in the day and it was the best community ever with tourneys teams websites user tracks and i was thinkin is this gonna be anything like mcm community wise, will there be players racing online and teams etc. ever since mcm ended ive been wishing for a new game to take its place, will this be that game?

who here is from the mcm days?
i played under the name TWD_Bed.
:rockout: