PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead or FFXIII

Fargoth
02-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I've been saving up for a new game and I was probably thinking about one of the new ones so here's my question. Red Dead Redemption or Final Fantasy XIII? I'm going out on a limb here because I have never played a Final Fantasy before nor any Westernish type game thought I'd try something new. If you have another suggestion say so and please say why. I'm not a big fan of Bioshock and my friend is already going to let me loan Dante's Inferno so none of that please.

wicked_d365
02-16-2010, 09:30 AM
I myself am going with Red Dead. FF hasn't been good since 9. 7 was the best.
I really enjoyed the first Red Dead on PS2 and this one looks even better. It's like Gun meets GTA. 2 of my favorites.
I plan on buying Battlefield 2, Red Dead, Alan Wake, and Splinter Cell. Those are my must haves of the spring season.

Variation-XBA
02-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm going with FF hands down. I liked the first Red Dead but it's not really my thing

Symmetric-XBA
02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I agree w/ Var and Wicked on some counts. FF 7 imo was the best. However, I would prefer to play FF XIII, even though the series has been going downhill imo since the single digits (ff 10 was ok, but nothing compared to the earlier series). However, for graphics, sound, and hopefully story FF has it trumped. imo go w/ ff and you won't be disappointed.

Vampero
02-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I say since you like ME2 so much.I would go with FFXIII because you like RPG's and FFXIII has a new battle system.You can grind lvl in FFXIII like a MMO and follow the storyline.

Conchord
02-16-2010, 05:13 PM
From what I have seen, Red Dead Redemption is basically a sandbox Western (think Sergio Leone meets GTA), so I wouldn't project opinions of the first game onto this one.

In terms of which game you buy, that's simple... Pulse Racer.

Ainokeatoo
02-17-2010, 02:53 AM
If you so happen to have a PS3 I would wait for Versus, as I believe that will feature some online function, something new to the FF series (no FFXI does not count). If you don't have a PS3. I would still say FF, there is rarely ever games that have the same epic story lines as an FF game maybe that's not the smartest thing to say. But in my time and history of FF games there has really never been one that let me down story wise. Now that the mechanics of the game are different and the graphics are EXTREMELY better (bout time) this is probably a good time to jump into FF with all the changes this game has gone under compared to it's predecessors.

It's basically a brand new experience for long time FF fans and new people.

wicked_d365
02-17-2010, 06:52 AM
If you so happen to have a PS3 I would wait for Versus, as I believe that will feature some online function, something new to the FF series (no FFXI does not count). If you don't have a PS3. I would still say FF, there is rarely ever games that have the same epic story lines as an FF game maybe that's not the smartest thing to say. But in my time and history of FF games there has really never been one that let me down story wise. Now that the mechanics of the game are different and the graphics are EXTREMELY better (bout time) this is probably a good time to jump into FF with all the changes this game has gone under compared to it's predecessors.

How is he still a mod on a 360 forum when all he does is talk about PS3? LOL

Fargoth
02-17-2010, 08:36 AM

Whats a PS3?

Thanks for the opinions so far I'll keep looking stuff up but I'm leaning more towards FF now.

Variation-XBA
02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
If you so happen to have a PS3 I would wait for Versus, as I believe that will feature some online function, something new to the FF series

Versus is a completely different game than XIII itself so they would still be missing out on a keystone FF entry in the series.

Ainokeatoo
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Versus is a completely different game than XIII itself so they would still be missing out on a keystone FF entry in the series.

Exactly, though with either game it's completely different than the FF's before. At least with Versus there'll be some kind of multiplayer (which adds to replayability for me)

Actually sorry let me correct myself, FF14 is going to be the online game/ MMO which I hope they don't screw up again. FF versus I'm not sure if it will I might be right or wrong o.o.

Fargoth
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Will I be completely lost if I haven't played the other ones?

Variation-XBA
02-17-2010, 05:56 PM

For a Final Fantasy? No, they are their own stories. Sometimes there's some small crossover with worlds/races/cid etc, but other than that you need no previous knowledge of the series to enjoy at all.

Ainokeatoo
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Not at all, which kind irks me about the whole series. It would be nice other than FFX if they continued one of it's stories for a couple more games. But no each FF is a different story, FFXIII and FFVXIII will be two completely different games story wise and I'm guessing battle set up wise.

Fargoth
03-08-2010, 05:06 PM
So I made my choice of FFXIII a while ago but now I see I'm a little short on the pocket change so I'm debating whether to get the game or to keep the money any suggestions?

Ainokeatoo
03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
How is he still a mod on a 360 forum when all he does is talk about PS3? LOL

;) Because I do a good enough job.

Variation-XBA
03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
;) Because I do a good enough job.

That can be debated :rofl::rofl:

:cheers:

Symmetric-XBA
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Keep the game. FFXIII is written by a new team so I myself am not going into this thinking that this will contend w/ FFVII, however, the money for value is amazing, the story will be good (here's hoping i didn't jinx it lol), and the graphics and sound will be absolutly stunning. Def. an amazing title. (now here's hoping i didn't jinx that too lol)

Fargoth
03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Keep the game. FFXIII is written by a new team so I myself am not going into this thinking that this will contend w/ FFVII, however, the money for value is amazing, the story will be good (here's hoping i didn't jinx it lol), and the graphics and sound will be absolutly stunning. Def. an amazing title. (now here's hoping i didn't jinx that too lol)

I picked it up today graphics are definitely the best I have ever seen in a video game ever. Fight seems a lot more fluid even though it somewhat uses the same mechanic I've seen in the other games (that I've seen not played) Story is definitely pretty dang good and guess what I'm only like an hour in. Dialogue is a little cheesy but it is a japanese game

Vampero
03-10-2010, 04:58 AM
I picked it up today graphics are definitely the best I have ever seen in a video game ever. Fight seems a lot more fluid even though it somewhat uses the same mechanic I've seen in the other games (that I've seen not played) Story is definitely pretty dang good and guess what I'm only like an hour in. Dialogue is a little cheesy but it is a japanese game
Thanks for the update!! Should I buy it after I beat DA add-on?