Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project for all who want to participate

Default Project for all who want to participate

This is a project that offers a creative outlet for those who want to play.

This is what you need to do. Scour the web (God knows, it needs scouring), and find a cool picture that would look good on a faceplate. Now, here's the catch. It has to either be Public Domain (meaning, nobody owns the rights to it), or it has to be an image you created or a picture of something you created, where YOU own the rights to it.

Here are some examples.

I look on the web, and I see a photo of a graffiti painting. Now, if YOU took the picture, it would be public domain, because the original art is in the public domain. But if someone ELSE took the picture, it may or may not be public domain. If they changed the photo in any meaningful way, they could own the photo.

I look on the web, and I see a photo of a 100 year old painting. The painting is PD, but again, if someone altered their photo, it could be determined that they could place a copyright on the new photo. For instance, I found a photo of "Blossoming Almond Branch" by Da Vinci. The original art is PB. But what the photographer had done was use the Photoshop "clone" took to extend the edges of the painting aby about three inches in every direction, and also used the took on spots in the center of the painting, to "mark" it. His excuse for "altering it in a meaningful way" was extending the image. The extended areas did not exist, nor did the altered areas, until he did them, so that's his picture.

One idea would be to look in places where the pictures hosted are identified as Public Domain, rather than looking at everything and then wondering if it is or isn't.

I'll do a few in a bit.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

cool, and then what?

OhsayOne's Xbox - Jul 9 2009

When someone makes a mistake there is typically some kind of gift involved... Maybe I can get a new faceplate out of the missed day of gaming yesterday... It is totally like OhsayOne to do something like that.
    Aww my Xbox knows me so well.

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

What, "and then what?" I don't know what.

well i've got some cool pics that'd look good on a facepalte, and their mine.
    so game over? or will i post some?

When someone makes a mistake there is typically some kind of gift involved... Maybe I can get a new faceplate out of the missed day of gaming yesterday... It is totally like OhsayOne to do something like that.

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

Well, like this. I think this would be a cool faceplate.

ahh i get you, (im a bit slow on the uptake) i got a cool idea, but i need to photoshop it for the full effect. do it tommorow, its bed time for me!

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

This is what it would look like on a faceplate.

yeh, i like it, needa brush up on my photoshop skills though

Coming soon..
    Last edited by Ohsay; 03-29-2009 at 10:08 AM.

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

Nice. Did you do the sketching on the bottom pic? Also, is that the particle collider in the second picture?

i didn't (not for lack of trying though)
    and it is! that's a keen eye you've got on you there spacey!

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

with order comes chaos OBL infad3ll's Avatar

Ohsay: that picture with the city scape on it looks amazing on a faceplate. someone needs to make that.

and spacey that painting reminds me a whole lot of Van Gogh's starry night, and now that would be a good picture to put on a faceplate
    LIFE GOAL: to own all 600 faceplates in the gorillaz launch collection
    -current progress 1/600 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by OBL infad3ll View Post
    Ohsay: that picture with the city scape on it looks amazing on a faceplate. someone needs to make that.

and spacey that painting reminds me a whole lot of Van Gogh's starry night, and now that would be a good picture to put on a faceplate
    It is a Van Gogh. It's "Crows in a Wheat Field" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by OBL infad3ll View Post

Yeh i really like it aswell.
    would be cool to get a proper one made, if only i was rich, i could pay poor chinese sweatshop workers to make a few.

there must be somewhere that could print onto plastic, i think it'd be hard though given the contours of the board.

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohsay View Post
    Yeh i really like it aswell.
    would be cool to get a proper one made, if only i was rich, i could pay poor chinese sweatshop workers to make a few.

there must be somewhere that could print onto plastic, i think it'd be hard though given the contours of the board.
    What do you think I'm working on, silly rabbit?

Space you madman!
    you're just full of surprises.

I done this one to, thought it looked sweet, and now i think it just looks like a mass effect plate. cool none the less though.

Edit: *Cringes.* Really need to work on my photoshop skills. forgot it was that big :/

Also, sorry for the oversized pictures.
    Last edited by Ohsay; 03-29-2009 at 09:35 PM.

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

GiRl GaMeR

Im not sure how big they are... so if there abnormally huge i'm sorry.
    Having a Smoking Section in a restaurant is a little like having a Peeing Section in a pool

Alrighty Spacey according to your legal issues and such. I made a graphic that might look nice on a face plate. I took "rendered" an image from this poster.

http://www.dvdcollects.com/Upload/up...C10053467.jpeg

resized it and added it to my graphic, is it a "public" domain as you say? And can you use the graphic?

Hidden Content bgcolor="#000000">Hidden Content name="flashvars" value="hostname=Hidden Content href="Hidden Content style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px;text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from ainokeato on Hidden Content href="Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

XxBlackIcexX's design.

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

GiRl GaMeR

Oooo... Thanks OhSay! I tried to do that, but my photoshop skill are not the best. I love the way the Heart came out.
    Having a Smoking Section in a restaurant is a little like having a Peeing Section in a pool

yeh mine aren't great either, but you can get the jist
    i like the heart one aswell

7 out of 39,809. mmm.

21. Thread Information