Thread: Xbox 720 OT

The lone voice of reason. Symmetric-XBA's Avatar

Default Xbox 720 OT

A little over a year from now, the "Next-Box" is rumored to be releasing! There have been tons of rumors yet nothing confirmed from Microsoft. What rumors have you heard? What would you like to see in Microsoft's next gen console?

---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Most Addicted Addict ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Staffer ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Writer/Reviewer ----------
    THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE! #XBA2016 MAKE XBA GREAT AGAIN!

XBA Forum Administrator Shawn-XBA's Avatar

I have heard some rumors, but I try not to get too excited about them. I would defiantly love to see a blu-ray drive in the new Xbox. I am a sucker for great graphics and would love to see an improvement. However, I really think the graphics for the 360 are amazing for a console. I might be in a minority, however I really just want a gaming console. I don't want Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and all these other applications. I just want to game, I do all those other things on my PC or smartphone. I am sure that will not happen though, I'm sure even more will be added. Which is fine, but I want to be able to block the applications. I find the dashboard to be difficult to find the things I want to see. I love the Inside Xbox videos, I can't even find them anymore. Hopefully the new interface will concentrate more on the games, and less on the applications. Backwards compatible is a big thing for me, I would like to play 360 games on the new console, and use my 360 controllers if I want too. I love the 360, it doesn't need much.

Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content
    Watch me on Twitch: Hidden Content
    Subscribe on YouTube: Hidden Content
    Email/Skype: Hidden Content

I hear ya about the apps man, but unf. I think they are here to stay. MS wants to increase the value for dollar of xbox live so I'm almost certain that they will be on the 720. I'm with ya as far as "ease of use" goes for the dashboard as I personally think it's a cluster f with menus and options literally everywhere to the point where you wonder why anyone would ever design a theme for the 360 ya know?

I've heard rumors that there will be interchangable hardware for the next console. So if you want to upgrade various internal components, then gamers would have that option which I personally think will be a double edged sword if it happens. MS will prob. be the ONLY providers of internal components and in turn they will prob be selling these components at more than double the cost, but how cool would that be to integrate the ability that pc users have to upgrade their hardware w/o having to buy a new console?

I heard somewhere about a 16 core processor but I don't think that is going to happen. I just hope they don't change the dash to Windows 8 or something like it.

XBA Forum Administrator Shawn-XBA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetric-XBA View Post
    I've heard rumors that there will be interchangable hardware for the next console. So if you want to upgrade various internal components, then gamers would have that option which I personally think will be a double edged sword if it happens. MS will prob. be the ONLY providers of internal components and in turn they will prob be selling these components at more than double the cost, but how cool would that be to integrate the ability that pc users have to upgrade their hardware w/o having to buy a new console?
    I've also heard this rumor, but I have to say it doesn't excite me that much. It makes me believe some games will work, and some games will not work depending on what components you have. The newer games will make you have the newest and best components to work, at least that's where I see it going. I don't want to pay $300 for a console, just to pay more money to replace the components of it. I guess I'm just old school, and am used to buying a new console every few years. That really doesn't bother me, I think upgrading a console with new components is just not the right direction to go in.

Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content
    Watch me on Twitch: Hidden Content
    Subscribe on YouTube: Hidden Content
    Email/Skype: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MoonTar View Post
    I heard somewhere about a 16 core processor but I don't think that is going to happen. I just hope they don't change the dash to Windows 8 or something like it.
    I've heard this rumor too and thought it was the dev kits that were like that. Unf man I think we're in for some form of windows 8 dash with all the tiles and squares all over the place.

I suspect we'll see them using the xbox as a tool to market windows 8. I'm not sure whether or not that would be a good thing, but it's already started with the UI homogenization.

As far as power goes it will just be another case of catching up to high-spec PC's. I'd imagine most of the hype will be surrounding additional features rather than graphics and games. Expect to see "killer apps" going head to head between competing consoles. Cloud streaming will be introduced at some stage, but perhaps not at launch. We will see better support for ultra high resolutions, count on that much at least.

What I'd like... something that looks good, works well and doesn't sound like a dying hoover.
    Hidden Content

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Thread Information