Thread: Microsoft Considering Digital Game Resale

XBA Forum Administrator Shawn-XBA's Avatar

Default Microsoft Considering Digital Game Resale

If a recent forum post is true, Microsoft may be working on introducing a digital marketplace that lets you resell your used games to other Xbox One owners.

Although unconfirmed, the NeoGaf post outlines a supposedly leaked survey that suggests Microsoft is introducing a virtual place where Xbox One used games can be bought and sold at various prices, depending on included features; in essence, a virtual used game store where players sell to and buy from other players.

The survey also mentions the use of premium services, such as an Xbox Live Gold subscription (Or PlayStation Plus, if Sony introduces the rumored virtual marketplace). This seems to suggest that only members paying for these services will have access to the digital store.

We've reached out to Microsoft for comment, but the rumor is still unconfirmed.

Mike Mahardy is a freelance writer for various outlets, and has no idea how digital marketplaces work. You can follow him on Twitter.

Source: IGN

Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content
    Watch me on Twitch: Hidden Content
    Subscribe on YouTube: Hidden Content
    Email/Skype: Hidden Content

Default Microsoft Considering Digital Game Resell

I'm hoping Microsoft does something like this, I think it would be a great idea. The money you get from the resale of your digital game could be automatically put into your Live account to make future purchases. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Silent-XBA View Post
    I'm hoping Microsoft does something like this, I think it would be a great idea. The money you get from the resale of your digital game could be automatically put into your Live account to make future purchases. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
    If MS doesn't take to big of a cut with their greedy hands , I'm all for it !
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content bgcolor="#000000">Hidden Content name="flashvars" value="hostname=Hidden Content href="Hidden Content style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px;text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from Vampero on www.twitch.tv

I agree Vamp, I don't want to see Microsoft take any cut from the sale. I'm hoping they announce how it's going to work this weekend at PAX.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Silent-XBA View Post
    I agree Vamp, I don't want to see Microsoft take any cut from the sale. I'm hoping they announce how it's going to work this weekend at PAX.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    I can't wait for you to find out more info !
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content bgcolor="#000000">Hidden Content name="flashvars" value="hostname=Hidden Content href="Hidden Content style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px;text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from Vampero on www.twitch.tv

Hi,

I think it's the problem of tecnic limit of connexion internet : signal force and stockage.
    More the transformation of videogames stores to organised.
    You are fool is you think you can give digital service resale without the condition of participation of game stores, company or independent, and i think it's normal for the guys who work into the stores and give us the game for play actually and in the past.
    Advantage : maybe the possibility to admiss dlc more easily, but you can do this in store.
    I wouldn't like to see editors search to make money without the interests of players.
    I think there are place for market dematerialized and for the market in stores, i would like exchange both either, i see this as a type of game more than only possibility to sell.
    Last edited by oryanphine; 08-30-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Seems like a really cool idea!

The lone voice of reason. Symmetric-XBA's Avatar

Wonder how eb games and other retailers think of this? Wouldn't that dramatically cut into their revenue?

---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Most Addicted Addict ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Staffer ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Writer/Reviewer ----------
    THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE! #XBA2016 MAKE XBA GREAT AGAIN!

Default Re: Microsoft Considering Digital Game Resale

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetric-XBA View Post
    Wonder how eb games and other retailers think of this? Wouldn't that dramatically cut into their revenue?
    I still believe the majority of gamers are going to buy physical disks over buying digital. I think retailers won't see a big cut in sales for years. Eventually though, more people will start to download their games digitally which will cause retailers to change their approach. I don't think this resale ability of digitally bought games will cut into the revenue of retailers.

I am just hoping Microsof company does something like this, I believe it would be a good idea. The amount of money you obtain from your reselling of your digital online game may very well be immediately place into ones Live consideration for making upcoming acquisitions. Exactly what are all people else's ideas on this?

Sounds like a great idea. Never get a scratched used game, no shipping, instant purchase, and get paid with no hassle.

Feeding my pet moose HaZarD SFD's Avatar

I think this is a great idea. IMHO its just a key transfer from your account to the buyers account and then they can DL the copy. If this is how they do it, then they will 100% have no problem with traffic or storage issues. They simply just transfer the license key from your xbox to the buyers and then click to DL.

If they resell games at 50% or even 75% of current value they still make 25-50% along with you putting that cash right back to them so IMHO they dont loose much and they stand to Gain Everything from it. It will increase online sales of which is very uncostly compared to making games that it will increase their inflow of cash.

I love digital copies of games. You buy an Xbox One, you hop online and just download it all back again. So easy.

I have to be the only one that does not really like this, 'Depending on features' what does that mean? I'm sure it doesn't mean being sold a game with half the content missing, but what does it mean? Bundling DLC or Games with the purchase? Selling the game + characters? If so I can back that. I just don't understand what they mean.

Hidden Content bgcolor="#000000">Hidden Content name="flashvars" value="hostname=Hidden Content href="Hidden Content style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px;text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from ainokeato on Hidden Content href="Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Thread Information