Thread: Bend Over For eBay.

Default Bend Over For eBay.

I used to have a sellers store, and dropped it. I opened it up again today and remembered why I dropped it.

http://stores.ebay.com/SpaceGhost2Ks-Faceplates

eBay says oh yeah, it's only .03 per listing.

But that's if you pay them $299 per month for a mega store.

For us peons it's:
    $15.99 per month for the store.
    $0.20 per listing.
    and FIFTEEN PERCENT of the final price of a fixed item, which is what stores have in them. (Other catagories are less but tv, movies, books and video games are 15%)

And then, PayPal takes a chunk, too.

I set up my recent auctions so that 10% would go to Child's Play.

So let's look at a $19.99 faceplate. Let's assume that I sell 16 plates in a month, so that $15.99 comes out to a simple $1.00 per plate.

+$19.99 final price.
    +$6.00 shipping
    -$0.20 listing fee
    -$1.00 monthly fee
    -$3.00 eBay final value fee.
    -$2.00 Child's Play
    -$6.00 shipping
    -$1.04 PayPal (comes out of shipping, too)
    ======
    $12.75.

Twelve seventy five! Out of twenty bucks! Yeah, ten percent of that, or two bucks is going to charity, but that's still over twenty five percent!

This store is going to get about one week to prove itself, but numbers don't lie. It can't do it.

So, do me a favor. If you want any of those, drop me an email instead of buying them. I might have to eat the listing fee and the PayPal fee, but at least I won't get raped.

I wonder if Meg Whitman is going to run the state like that?
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

This is why I prefer not selling on Ebay, I would rather sell straight threw PP, and to think I hated the REGULAR fees. It's like those services that bid on Japan auctions sites for you, there are a ton of extra fees, that's why I never use them.........was going to, but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost2K-XBA View Post
    I used to have a sellers store, and dropped it. I opened it up again today and remembered why I dropped it.

http://stores.ebay.com/SpaceGhost2Ks-Faceplates

eBay says oh yeah, it's only .03 per listing.

But that's if you pay them $299 per month for a mega store.

For us peons it's:
    $15.99 per month for the store.
    $0.20 per listing.
    and FIFTEEN PERCENT of the final price of a fixed item, which is what stores have in them. (Other catagories are less but tv, movies, books and video games are 15%)

And then, PayPal takes a chunk, too.

I set up my recent auctions so that 10% would go to Child's Play.

So let's look at a $19.99 faceplate. Let's assume that I sell 16 plates in a month, so that $15.99 comes out to a simple $1.00 per plate.

+$19.99 final price.
    +$6.00 shipping
    -$0.20 listing fee
    -$1.00 monthly fee
    -$3.00 eBay final value fee.
    -$2.00 Child's Play
    -$6.00 shipping
    -$1.04 PayPal (comes out of shipping, too)
    ======
    $12.75.

Twelve seventy five! Out of twenty bucks! Yeah, ten percent of that, or two bucks is going to charity, but that's still over twenty five percent!

This store is going to get about one week to prove itself, but numbers don't lie. It can't do it.

So, do me a favor. If you want any of those, drop me an email instead of buying them. I might have to eat the listing fee and the PayPal fee, but at least I won't get raped.

I wonder if Meg Whitman is going to run the state like that?
    Do you HAVE to create a store?
    [CENTER]Hidden Content
    Thanks Donatello for the sig!

Default I feel you

Ouch I feel you
    I sell on eBay big time
    My user name is joanna17502
    I pay ebay about £500 a month
    I used to be a sliver power seller so I'd get a 10% discount
    But all thou I have 99.5 positive feedback I lost my top rated seller then my power seller because of getting a few 1 star ratings grrr
    Not only do I have to bend over for ebay paypal I have to bend over for ever ****ty customer ,
    I sold burnout revenge for the xbox not 360
    She gave me neg feedback saying this game is old !!!!!!
    It cost her 2.99

No, you don't have to have a store, but otherwise you have to pay to relist everything every seven days. You can't stick something up there and wait until it sells. I wanted to offer a variety of plates and just leave them up there.

Quote Originally Posted by angeto View Post
    I sold burnout revenge for the xbox not 360
    She gave me neg feedback saying this game is old !!!!!!
    It cost her 2.99
    I hate those people.

I never sell stuff on eBay anymore, i just buy stuff from there.
    Hidden Content - BleedingViolin - Customizing at a Higher Level

The only problem I've had with selling on eBay is when someone bids, wins, and then deletes the account, do any of you know why people do that?

It happened THREE TIMES for one item. I had to relist it each time.
    [CENTER]Hidden Content
    Thanks Donatello for the sig!

I am begining to sell less and less on ebay,recently sold a bioshock faceplate to a guy in italy,he says he never got it but am sure he did as it was tracked had the proof,he started a paypal claim and they took his side even though i emailed and faxed them the proof,99% of the time they will favor the buyer no matter what as far as ebay and paypal go they both suck,i would rather use forums now to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by biggav4000 View Post
    I am begining to sell less and less on ebay,recently sold a bioshock faceplate to a guy in italy,he says he never got it but am sure he did as it was tracked had the proof,he started a paypal claim and they took his side even though i emailed and faxed them the proof,99% of the time they will favor the buyer no matter what as far as ebay and paypal go they both suck,i would rather use forums now to sell.
    I only know one guy in Italy, and that's Pierre. If his name was Pierre and he said he didn't get it, he didn't get it. If it was someone else, I can't say.

It was,nt him(this individual had low feedback and had never bought any xbox related items),this guy or girl never contacted me they just went ahead and started a paypal claim,had they done so i would of sent them another one has i had a couple more,anyway getting back to the point,what i am trying to get across is that both paypal and ebay never seem to back to the seller they always favor the buyer in most situations.

Default hello

ive got a 2005 xbox 360 console on ebay just now good condition not played much never been repaired
    ending in about an hour and its at a £1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1795wt_913

Quote Originally Posted by angeto View Post
    ive got a 2005 xbox 360 console on ebay just now good condition not played much never been repaired
    ending in about an hour and its at a £1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1795wt_913
    It ended up at 51. That's not bad for a first gen, five year old console that has to be living on borrowed time. I don't think Gamestop's will even take those in trade anymore.

#youcannotselfdefense 12buckmafia-XBA's Avatar

There are a few inaccuracies in the thread, but I'm really tired and I don't feel like explaining them, so forgive my point form

-You can now list a fixed price item for 30 days, and have it renew as good til cancelled automatically. The cost is something like 50 cents for those 30 days. You haven't needed to own a store in order to sell items on a good til cancelled basis for almost, if not over a year.

-eBay has a system in place now where you can list up to 100 items auction style for free per month, and if it doesn't sell, you're not out any fees...but the final value fee obviously reflects the free listing fee if it does sell. It's still lower overall than the old listing + final value fee though. The only thing is...I list mostly in sports cards, and I'm pretty sure the pricing structure is different in video games and electronic media, so I don't know what the auction style FVFs are.

(Ok I woke up a bit now)

-Meg Whitman's no longer employed by eBay, nor has she been since 2007. Everything you've seen in the last 3 years is under John Donahoe, who has taken a fairly healthy company both from the inside and outside and turned it into the cesspool it has slowly become. Unfortunately, part of this blame also lays on the shareholders seeking continued increased profits in the fly by night economy. If eBay had not purchased PayPal back in 2002, the company would probably be under at this point, or significantly slipping backwards into oblivion much like Yahoo auctions did.

eBay stores was always a bit of a business risk from a bottom dollar perspective, but once the idea took off, they had no choice but to keep it. In the last couple years, however, they've been making eBay stores and the pricing structure such that it makes little sense for a small time seller not to list things as auctions, since it's that core product that made the site famous back in the early part of last decade.

I had the pleasure of working for eBay while Meg was still CEO, and then the "pleasure" of working for eBay for the first two years John was CEO, when it slowly turned from a fairly happy and open workplace to one chock full of bureaucratic red tape and constant backstabbing.

I will experiment to see if I can do fixed price, renewing auctions outside of the store. If that's the case, I'll dump the store.

I think Yahoo auctions dies because of eBay, not because of the business model, but if you say eBay was near death until they got PayPal, I'll believe you.

Default mm

It ended up at 51. That's not bad for a first gen, five year old console that has to be living on borrowed time. I don't think Gamestop's will even take those in trade anymore.
    great ending price very happy :0)

Pinata hunter

Quote Originally Posted by biggav4000 View Post
    It was,nt him(this individual had low feedback and had never bought any xbox related items),this guy or girl never contacted me they just went ahead and started a paypal claim,had they done so i would of sent them another one has i had a couple more,anyway getting back to the point,what i am trying to get across is that both paypal and ebay never seem to back to the seller they always favor the buyer in most situations.
    Sometimes they don't favor the buyer!
    I'm italian and I've won an auction from UK this last april, for a super cool Saitek keyboard, and never received it.
    I wrote many times to the seller (Iscorpion_CO_UK) and after 89 days they reply with a promise of refundment. It was the last useful day to open a claim, as I've discovered later... I'm still waiting. I write every week but they never reply. It's been 6 months...
    I can't do anything because the auction has been deleted and I can open a claim of course.

I've bought online (and won on Ebay) over 3000 items in the last 14 years, and I've never had problems (except for a music cd from Taiwan in 1999, and a limited xbox from USA in 2008)...

#youcannotselfdefense 12buckmafia-XBA's Avatar

I think Yahoo auctions dies because of eBay, not because of the business model, but if you say eBay was near death until they got PayPal, I'll believe you.
    Er...that's not quite what I meant. eBay's business decisions as a company post-2002 are what would've driven it toward demise had it not been for the acquisition of PayPal. The profits it brings in are what keep the site afloat on the stock market. eBay's profit margin as a domestic product has dwindled year after year since 2004, while PayPal's have risen to the point where it is the current breadwinner of the company. eBay's answer to competition in other countries was simply to step in and buy them, and it only worked in a few cases (India in particular,) but many of those companies they purchased for tens of millions of dollars have now been shut down, or the purchase has proven too poor for any chance of financial reconciliation. Luckily, PayPal's been there to erase any financial wrongdoing (especially overpaying for Skype and then selling it at a loss,) and the company in a whole continues to make 9 billion dollars a year.

Thread Information