Star Trek Online Update Based on Star Trek: Discovery Out Now
Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios recently announced Star Trek Online: Rise of Discovery is now available on PC and will launch June 25 on Xbox One. The latest update to the free-to-play MMORPG based on the Star Trek universe continues the game’s crossover with the CBS television series, Star Trek: Discovery.
Happening now, Star Trek Online players will have the opportunity to travel back in time and board the U.S.S. Buran, encountering Captain Gabriel Lorca (voiced by Jason Isaacs) and Commander Ellen Landry (voiced by Rekha Sharma) from the show. Captains can play through Rise of Discovery to uncover the startling chain of events that ultimately determined the fates of these characters in the first season of Star Trek: Discovery. The update also introduces a brand new reputation and a system wide update that removes player level restrictions for all premium Tier 6 starships.
In the first season of Star Trek: Discovery, fans were introduced to Captain Gabriel Lorca and his Chief of Security, Commander Ellen Landry. However, very little was revealed about their collective past and what led them to assume command of the legendary U.S.S. Discovery.
These questions will be answered in Rise of Discovery, which takes players to the decks of the U.S.S. Buran with Lorca and Landry just one month after the Battle at the Binary Stars. The Federation starship is on a mission to transport Klingon prisoners to a secure facility when it becomes the target of an incursion led by J’Ula, the matriarch of House Mo’Kai. A devastating turn of events leaves Captain Lorca as the sole survivor of the attack. After crash landing on a barren ice moon above Priors World, he must rely onhis trusted commanding officer and Star Trek Online players to rescue him before he is apprehended by Klingon forces.
These events take place across brand new missions featured in Rise of Discovery. A full list of game features introduced with today’s update includes:
- Two New Featured Episodes – Captains hailing from every faction within Star Trek Online can participate in two brand new playable episodes which take place in the Star Trek: Discovery universe.
- “The Plausibility of the Possible” – Players come to the aid of the U.S.S. Buran, led by Captain Gabriel Lorca and Commander Ellen Landry, as the Starfleet ship engages in battle with Klingon forces led by J’Ula of House Mo’Kai.
- “Impossibility of Reason” – Star Trek Online players will answer an urgent distress call from the U.S.S. Buran that sends them on a dire mission with Landry to keep the ship’s captain alive on a frozen ice moon.
- Star Trek: Discovery Characters – Rise of Discovery features original voice acting from Star Trek: Discovery’s very own Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter film series, The Patriot) as Captain Lorca and Rekha Sharma (Battlestar Galactica, Alien vs Predators: Requiem) as Commander Landry.
- New Reputation – The game’s latest update introduces the new Tier 6 Reputation, “Discovery Legends,” which allows players to earn exciting new Discovery themed rewards. All of the Discovery Task Force Operations will now feature Advanced and Elite versions that have been converted to support this new reputation and pay out Discovery Legend Marks.
- T6 Starship Scaling – Starting today, level restrictions have been removed for Tier 6 starships across all of the game’s platforms, including PC, Xbox One and PlayStation®4. For the first time in Star Trek Online history, players will be able to fly premium ships which scale to their individual character level. Additional details can be found on the Star Trek Online blog.
To celebrate the release of Rise of Discovery, Star Trek Online is teaming up with Star Trek: The Cruise and SteelSeries on an exclusive giveaway for Star Trek fans. From now through May 26, players can visit the Star Trek Online blog to enter to win a cabin for two aboard Star Trek: The Cruise IV, a seven-day Caribbean voyage across the Atlantic with Star Trek royalty including William Shatner (Star Trek: The Original Series), Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek: Voyager), Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Ethan Peck (Star Trek: Discovery) and more. The grand prize winner will also be granted every starship currently available in the C-Store of Star Trek Online on PC and a prize pack from SteelSeries.
Phew, once again, a lot to take in, but you can consider yourself informed for sure.
Source: Press Release/YouTube