Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modchips for xbox?

Originally posted by Zen

First of all this is bull****, Microsoft sells you the machine and at that point your aloud to do as you wish with it... you can smash it with a hammer and they wont penelize you, your warranty however will be broken when you open the box up.... they cannot flash your Bios as sombody posted, unless they want to pay you for a new Xbox because of deformation of property. now if they notice your playing a copied game somehow... thats a different story, but sorry to say for microsoft... in the end the hackers always get around everything, thats just the way it goes...
    I have to disagree with you on this. I'm pretty sure that if MS feels that there is a serious enough problem with modding, one possible solution would be to incorporate some type of EULA with Xbox Live that would prevent people from using the service if they have modded their Xbox. In other words, the agreement could say that you consent to them flashing the bios of your Xbox. I suspect that this would be a relatively simple thing for them to do when you install the Xbox Live software from the disc. So you pay $50 for the Xbox Live kit, install it on your modded Xbox, and get a message that says you cannot use Xbox Live since your Xbox has been modded. Hopefully, you will get your $50 back, or you can wait until someone figures out a way around it. I do believe that the hackers will eventually figure out a way around it However, I also believe that MS will come up with another solution. It is a never-ending cycle with the modders caught in the middle (i.e., constantly having to update your system with the latest hack). My reason for pointing this out to DenniZz81 is that he only a discussed a reason to mod his Xbox, and I was just trying to point out a possible reason not to. Personally, I have considered modding my Xbox, and I still may do it. However, I think I will wait until I can afford a second box and enjoy the best of both worlds.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to AloneInTheDark for the Sig
    Hidden Content
    ESPN NFL VIP Team - Texans

yea, and whats the point of modding your xbox and not doing anything with it? thats just a waste of money

Originally posted by AloneInTheDark

O.K. you are wrong there. If you have a modded xbox and dont do anything with it then you are fine. But if you are pirateing games to play on your xbox then you could have a possible lawsuit from MS and from the game developers. Since pirating software is illegal.. So you are weront there
    Snoop basically covered what im about to say...

anyways, i said exactly what your saying by saying unless they figure out youve got copied games somehow, for that to happen youd have to be playing a copied game online other then that they will not have a clue, Wrong where?

Skoal, you brought up a valid point in the beggining...and i dont disagree microsoft will try their best, but they can't do anything to your xbox without your knowledge, i do understand that they might hide it in the fine print somewhere... ill look for it when all this comes out. the cool thing is they will just come out with a stealth modchip like they did for the Ps1 and it couldnt be detected... question is... how hard is it, if possible at all...to swap modchips?
    Be one with it

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Originally posted by Zen

Snoop basically covered what im about to say...

anyways, i said exactly what your saying by saying unless they figure out youve got copied games somehow, for that to happen youd have to be playing a copied game online other then that they will not have a clue, Wrong where?

Skoal, you brought up a valid point in the beggining...and i dont disagree microsoft will try their best, but they can't do anything to your xbox without your knowledge, i do understand that they might hide it in the fine print somewhere... ill look for it when all this comes out. the cool thing is they will just come out with a stealth modchip like they did for the Ps1 and it couldnt be detected... question is... how hard is it, if possible at all...to swap modchips?
    Will you still buy the good excluisive games?
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

READ THIS. NO MOD CHIP CHECK - straight from M$ (That's the word, anyway):

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-948804.html?tag=fd_top

Originally posted by Kleen
    READ THIS. NO MOD CHIP CHECK - straight from M$ (That's the word, anyway):

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-948804.html?tag=fd_top
    Interesting read. Good find Kleen. With only 9 soldering points and an on/off feature, this chip just might be the answer. I'd be interested to hear from any XBA's that try this chip, especially after XBL goes live.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to AloneInTheDark for the Sig
    Hidden Content
    ESPN NFL VIP Team - Texans

mmm..i got two xboxes..the one with a modchip. (i don't play bootleg games..why would you want to play an hacked up game..missing movies and music?) I like emulators like mame, super nes and genesis games on my xbox is like a dream come true...can't seem to get that divx player to work..there are a few japanese games i am going to import.....and i have one without (chipless)...just for xbox live The bad thing about emulators on the xbox is it's limited memory...Some of the larger games won't play on my xbox. Alot of my friends say it's a lot of trouble to play old and moldy arcade games.
    Last edited by Evil_Dr_Beefy; 08-09-2002 at 05:07 AM.
    Meanwhile back at the Ranch,Bificus Beefy AKA Evil_Dr_Beefy and his henchmen The Big Dipper Beast plot the destruction of their arch nemesis Spaceboy

Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
    (i don't play bootleg games..why would you want to play an hacked up game..missing movies and music?)

you could just buy a dvd burner and rip and burn the games yourself, without ripping out the movies and music.

Snoop's right. As for XBL, you could install a disable switch for the mod. If you read carefully the M$ guy in the article said that M$ won't be checking for MODs through XBOX Live. I think I'll put in the disable switch anyway, just in case. Then Wait to see if anyone get's busted. I got through the second XBL survey, so next week I expect to here some good news.
    Last edited by Kleen; 08-09-2002 at 02:50 PM.

I was thinking that if you install XBL, and you have EvoX installed on your HDD, you probably want to switch the dashboards back first. XBL might want to add a link to the M$Dashboard.

Thread Information