Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS almost doubles it's losses with Xbox (merged)

Default Microsoft's Xbox loss widens

http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/31/tech...icrosoft.reut/

Microsoft's Home and Entertainment segment, which includes the Xbox, games for personal computers and the company's TV products, posted an operating loss of $348 million in the quarter on revenue of $1.28 billion. A year earlier it had revenue of $833 million and a loss of $180 million.

The company loses money on each Xbox it sells, with some analysts pegging the shortfall at more than $100 per $199 console, meaning that strong sales for the platform actually increase its losses.

Bad news for Xbox

Most people dont' realize this part. Once the Xbox gets a large installed base they start making their money off the games. Less and less xboxs are sold and more games are sold, increasing prrofits.

Originally posted by thatroger
    Most people dont' realize this part. Once the Xbox gets a large installed base they start making their money off the games. Less and less xboxs are sold and more games are sold, increasing prrofits.
    I'm glad some people understand this fact. Also, even though MS profit is down they still made 1.97 BILLION dollars. That't not too bad considering the amount of money a lot of other companies are losing, you know, with us being in the middle of a recession and all.

Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
    I'm glad some people understand this fact. Also, even though MS profit is down they still made 1.97 BILLION dollars. That't not too bad considering the amount of money a lot of other companies are losing, you know, with us being in the middle of a recession and all.

AOL comes to mind coming in with a loss of 99 Billion.

H-I-T-E-R........NO L! hiter101's Avatar

this is pretty much old news

and btw MS is in this for the long haul so dont worry it wont pull a sega on u
    Heaven Won't Take Me And Hell Is Afraide I'll Take Over

Hidden Content

"He LIved By His Word And He Died For His Word" Rip DZ

Hidden Content

Originally posted by hiter101
    this is pretty much old news

and btw MS is in this for the long haul so dont worry it wont pull a sega on u
    Thanks to MS's Windows OS and Office packages.

C'mon guys..it's not as bad as you think..348 million dollars is pocketchange for a muti -billion dollar company..i guess the Ps2 fanboys have something to talk about now......but it's cool microsoft knew about the losses before hand.......
    Meanwhile back at the Ranch,Bificus Beefy AKA Evil_Dr_Beefy and his henchmen The Big Dipper Beast plot the destruction of their arch nemesis Spaceboy

Frostberg

Lets not forget the point that with every Xbox MS sells that they lose $160 or so...so in effect if they sell a 4 or a billion xboxes they will STILL be losing money...

So obviously they are prepared for it...

there is no real need to worry infact it shows that microsoft are making alot of money on the xbox because if you think about it this includes all the other things microsoft are doing including the tv stuff and thats where aol have lost alot of their money so i reakon thats where micosoft lost alot of theirs

although microsoft lose money on the console they make money on the dvd remote control. the xbox pads which in england are £5 more expensive then ps2 ones and also they will be making alot of money on the games. i think they are making around £5 - £10 per game cos a game serious sam was only £20 on the pc but its £35 for the xbox so i think they are making alot of money that way.

they also own alot of developers are they making money or losing it tho?
    Sig Update Coming Soon!

Default MS almost doubles it's losses with Xbox

There has been speculation that Microsoft will NEVER make a penny off the Microsoft Xbox, and that they are just planting themselves in the market. Microsoft will worry about making money on the 2nd generation console, it sure looks like that:

Microsoft's Home and Entertainment segment, which includes the Xbox, PC games and the company's TV products, posted an operating loss of $348 million in the quarter on revenue of $1.28 billion. A year earlier it had a loss of $180 million on revenue of $833 million.

In a quarterly report with the SEC filed Friday, Microsoft said it posted operating income of $1.97 billion in the December-ended quarter in its Windows-centered business unit on revenue of $2.44 billion. That was down from income of $2.11 billion and revenue of $2.68 billion in the year-earlier period.

Read more about it here

so xbox1 is doomed.

I used to post here a lot.

I don't understand what all this crap means.

Microsoft's Home and Entertainment segment, which includes the Xbox, PC games and the company's TV products, posted an operating loss of $348 million in the quarter on revenue of $1.28 billion.
    Does that mean that they lost $348 million but made $1.28 billion? Therefore they made more than they lost.....right? Confused...
    Hidden Content "Stack dead actors, stacked to the rafters
    Line up the b*stards all I want is the truth"

MS allways gets their money back from Windows, MS Office products etc.

Default Re: Microsoft's Xbox loss widens

Originally posted by Scorpion}{
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/31/tech...icrosoft.reut/

Don't forget, cnn is in direct competition with MS. CNN Hates MS.

Bill is in it for the long term.

Bad news for Xbox
    Xbox Games I Own...

Halo, Capcom vs. SnK EO , Dead or Alive 3, Splinter Cell, Crazy Taxi 3, Buffy, Max Payne, Unreal Championship, Hitman 2

Games I'm playing most...
    Unreal Championship - LIVE is addictive
    Quake 3 Arena - (pc) play about 5 mins less per day than UC
    Hitman 2

Add me to your frends list if you play Unreal on LIVE, I sold Ghost Recon cause it was simply a hype machine to match SOCOM, instead I opted for something for more ORIGINAL...the first online fighting game EVER in the USA!

this is the stupidest thread!!!........Really you have to be an idiot to think thats bad news for Xbox.....348 million , out of 5 BILLION!! just for the dumb people it takes one thousand million to make one billion! and Microsoft has Set aside 5 BILLION for Xbox, please don't post Anti-Microsoft propaganda on an Xbox board and try to use your head .........no offense to anyone I'm just sick of this thread, this must be 100th time it's been posted
    Wadical Dwagons! *quote from random game nerd in an arcade when I was a kid in the 80's*

Originally posted by Slacker
    this is the stupidest thread!!!........
    A little off topic, but 'stupidest' isn't a word. I guess that makes your post the 'dumbest' post in the 'stupidest' thread. Just because ms set that much aside doesn't mean that we want to see them burn through it all. Who is going to want to buy an xbox 2 if they see that MS is still losing money off the first one?

Originally posted by Slacker
    this is the stupidest thread!!!........Really you have to be an idiot to think thats bad news for Xbox.....348 million , out of 5 BILLION!! just for the dumb people it takes one thousand million to make one billion! and Microsoft has Set aside 5 BILLION for Xbox, please don't post Anti-Microsoft propaganda on an Xbox board and try to use your head .........no offense to anyone I'm just sick of this thread, this must be 100th time it's been posted

Wow, you mean to tell me that one thousand million makes one billion....wow, you should be a dam financial analyst for Enron...look, this isn't anti--MS propoganda material, you do realize that if they set it aside (which by reading the article more in depth, some of it was borrowed) does not mean that they can go and make stupid moves that are dumber than your post. It's just showing that they despite the better # in sales, it's actually hurting them on console sales because they are losing per Xbox...now, if you have a problem with that...then just walk on by....

Good day sir!

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

isnt this like really old news?

well anyway, microsoft announced that they would double down and reduce their losses, and actually turn their losses into profit. simple.

just becuase they did not reach what they wanted, doesnt mean it isnt a lot....
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Watching the figures, it comes as no great surprise that nVidia might be backing away from future deals. Microsoft is losing money hand over fist in its Home and Entertainment division which is responsible for the Xbox and component suppliers are facing the pinch as well. nVidia itself is in legal arbitration with Microsoft over the cost of components.

Over at SiliconValley.com, nVidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang sounded a very cautious note, "we would be delighted to work with Microsoft on the next Xbox, but we are a company with many opportunities." Which sounds to us like he really isn't interested in playing ball.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7579

Nvidia doesn't seem to confident in Xbox 2

Originally posted by Scorpion}{
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7579

Nvidia doesn't seem to confident in Xbox 2
    This is due to the fact that MS is pretty much telling them what they are going to do otherwise they are going with ATI. They are being ruthless with developing their gaming systems.

Thread Information