Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem With XBOX DVD

Question Problem With XBOX DVD

Hello, new to the board, long time comer to the site.

I bought XBOX, DOA3, DVD Remote, and a few DVD's a couple days ago, and whenever I play a DVD, you can see the brightness fading lighter and darker... notmuch, but enough to annoy and distract you.... is there something wrong with the settings in my XBOX?....thanks

Do you have your Xbox connected to your tv through a VCR? Some DVDs have a protection scheme that won't let you watch them through the VCR.
    Currently playing: Tony Hawk 3

Default ...

through my VCR because I dont have the AV pack, it only came with the VCR cables... thats probably it then, cause it didn't happen with Anti-Trust but it did with Matrix and Jurassic Park 3

Yup, good ol' macrovision hits again.

Looks like you will need the RF cable for the xbox to go straight to your tv. Or you can buy an RFU modulator from radio shack. Either will work for you.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Default ...

i read something about buying the dam cable to go from the adaptor seperate too? what the hell is this... friggin bill gates, couldnt he put it all inclusive... money hungry freak

which adaptor are you talking about? The AV packs come with all cables except the optical cable.

For the RF pack you will need a coax cable but everyone is like that. As for needing this to bypass the macrovision that isn't Bill Gates fault, that you should blame on the MPAA.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Frostberg

yikes, if you use RF, the dvds wont look any better, and they will cost too much. If you dont have a dvd player hooked up with at least S-Video there are no point in DVDs. Maybe the extra features, but DVDs are still too much to be played on a TV with bad inputs.

Default ...

Yes, im talking about the Optical Cable, what will it do to my video? better? what if i were just to get the AV pack will it make look better and stop the annoying fading?

the Audio on the DVD's are great, but no video change, (because of no AV pack)...

so my best bet would be to spend 40 bucks (CDN) and buy the high definition AV pack... my tv is the newer 32inch Sanyo, I looked it up and it should support it... so this is my best bet

Frostberg

if your TV has component inputs, there should be no doubt you need the HD AV pack! optical wont improve video, it is only for sound. It allows dolby digital, which analog red and white cables dont do.

i dont have Dolby Digital, just stereo so that will save me some cash... ill pick up the AV pack tomorrow, thx all for the help

Frostberg

ok, just dont get confused between the HD and Advanced AV packs...

if im correct theres only 2 XBOX liscensed ones...

the Standard AV Pack and,

the Advanced AV PACK (high definition tvs)

the problem is im not 100% sure my TV is high definition... its brand new, it came out either 2000 or 2001, and Sanyo is a pretty good brand so... how can i check if its HD ready?

Frostberg

umm...well MS makes 2 "packs"...

The Advanced AV pack (for S-Video)
    And
    The High Definition AV pack

As long as your TV has component inputs, the HD AV pack is great. It doesnt have to be a HDTV. Chances are your TV isint a HDTV. And there are others, such as what I use. I love my monster cable GameLink 400 X for component video and 100 X for optical sound.

wwfraven, i highly doubt you even have component inputs...i've never seen a tv with a built in vcr that has component inputs. Song Wega's and all HDTV's do have component inputs.

kirkyg

I'll add Digital TV's (which is what the Vega series is) to your list of Sony Vega's and HDTV's.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Frostberg

The Wegas are great now, because if you have digita cable or satellite it looks pretty close to HDTV...It just isint 16x9, but the Xbox wouldnt look any clearer on the same size HDTV..

Originally posted by Frostberg
    The Wegas are great now, because if you have digita cable or satellite it looks pretty close to HDTV...It just isint 16x9, but the Xbox wouldnt look any clearer on the same size HDTV..
    I don't buy that for one minute. Wegas are nice but to say that there is no perceptable difference between a WEGA and an HDTV of the same size doesn't ring true. At 480, yes, I'd agree it's a wash. But assuming we'll see 1080 games in the future the HDTV will have a definite advantage. At 1080 the game will appear as letterbox on a 4:3 Wega and scaled to a much lower resolution.

Kirkyg I dont have a built in VCR its seperate

my TV is a 32 inch Sanyo, made in 2001 :Pcome on im not that far behind i do have the xbox

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    I'll add Digital TV's (which is what the Vega series is) to your list of Sony Vega's and HDTV's.
    I don't mean to be picky, but I think this thread may be showing some confusion about Wega TVs and HDTV. Digital TV sets fall into two cateogories - Standard Definition TV's which display up to 480p, and HDTV's which display up to 1080i.

Not all Sony Wega's are digital TVs. Wega is the brand name of Sony's "Flat-screen Direct View" TV sets. Some Wegas are analog TV's and some are Digital (HDTV) sets. Some are 4:3 HDTV sets and some are 16:9 HDTV sets.

Fraven, If you can provide the model number of your Sanyo TV set, then we might be able to tell you for sure what A/v pack you need.

DB

i hate to jump in on your conversation, but could i get an hdtv that can display in 1080i for around $1500?

Thread Information