Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIRUS my a** .................

Question VIRUS my a** .................

Well i went to my local rental store today to see if they had received any new games for my XBOX. And of course i over heard some people talk about the XBOX. Anyways the guy said " thank god i don't own one of those .......... apparently people have fun installing viruses in the XBOX when the people go online .......... bunch of idiots.......... PS2 will never go online and thats why "
    Know is this true that hackers or other people can put viruses on the XBOX because it's like a mini computer or is this total bull#$%* ???????????????????
    Thank you

P.S. also can anyone tell me why it wouldn't be possible ????
    Hidden Content take that PS2 !!! Hidden Content

Bullsh*te....

Does Xbox have a firewall - or would that just make it too much of a PC??
    Matt Cox - The official XBA European Buddy!
    Xbox Live Gamertag - xboxmanchester

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Default Re: VIRUS my a** .................

Originally posted by Vteck3000
    Well i went to my local rental store today to see if they had received any new games for my XBOX. And of course i over heard some people talk about the XBOX. Anyways the guy said " thank god i don't own one of those .......... apparently people have fun installing viruses in the XBOX when the people go online .......... bunch of idiots.......... PS2 will never go online and thats why "
    Know is this true that hackers or other people can put viruses on the XBOX because it's like a mini computer or is this total bull#$%* ???????????????????
    Thank you

P.S. also can anyone tell me why it wouldn't be possible ????
    lol, it's a bunch of crap, as you know. The only way a computer, for instance, can get a virus is if they download software. The XBox doesn't download software! lol...so, you are hearing a bunch of PoS2 bunk

What will we hear next? lol....dude, don't worry, you are in the clear, buddy

yeah its a lie

I too believe it's false.

However, contrary to Maximus's idea that the Xbox does not download software, that does not mean it can't get a virus off the net. If (and this is a big if)...

IF Microsoft put an option to get data from or send data to the Xbox, someone may have already found a way to exploit this. It's certainly a fact that people have been cracking the system since it's release (and possibly before), so while it's almost definitely a load of buffalo chips, it's possible for the Xbox to get a virus.

Now if this were something actually going on, I'm sure Clinton would be hitting on Aliens who have cigars with Laura Bush right now in the back room of the White House (the one Bush doesn't know about).

-Big Ben

Big Ben is correct in that viruses don't have to be downloaded or even installed to be effective they just have to be executed. I would think a tunneling program like Gamespot's Gamespy would be a good target for hackers to attempt passing viruses through. They could use that program to send bogus packets to your Xbox erasing your game saves or something else.
    Currently playing: Tony Hawk 3

I think they were talking loud enough so everyone would hear. **** fanboys.

Well, today a POS2 fanboy comes up to me and says "Did you return your X-Box yet." I"m like no, why would I? and he says "cause there is a recall of them since they are burning down houses", and Im like who told you, and he said "they told me at ebgames", I pick up my cellphone, call ebgames, and ask them about it, the guy on the phone tells me that he doesn't know what I'm talking about and there was no recall.

I *****slap the POS2 ******* and leave.

Frostberg

Originally posted by terrapin
    Big Ben is correct in that viruses don't have to be downloaded or even installed to be effective they just have to be executed. I would think a tunneling program like Gamespot's Gamespy would be a good target for hackers to attempt passing viruses through. They could use that program to send bogus packets to your Xbox erasing your game saves or something else.
    You have excellent points, but the reason Im not concerned is this...It would seem to me this would be hard. It seems like it would take too much time. Now a real "hacker" wouldnt be interested in erasing your games. He wants your credit card numbers and such. I dont think anyone would want to send a "virus" to your XBox just so they can be "HA I erased your games" If there was such a real threat, GameSpy wouldnt still have up their software, and I would be buying a memory card. I would just think a hacker would have more fun doing something else, do a DDoS attack on Amazon or something...even the most Anti-MS hacker would rather want passwords to some MS computers or something. I dunno, maybe my eyes arent open enough but I feel that there is no threat at all for this sort of thing.

Default .......

But that program that you have to download from GAMESPOT.......... do you download it to your XBOX or your PC ??????? If you download it to your XBOX don't you think their might be a problem later on in the future ????????
    Hidden Content take that PS2 !!! Hidden Content

Default Re: .......

Originally posted by Vteck3000
    But that program that you have to download from GAMESPOT.......... do you download it to your XBOX or your PC ??????? If you download it to your XBOX don't you think their might be a problem later on in the future ????????
    You download it to your computer...

Sorry since this is off the virus topic, but has anyone heard of xbox's catching on fire???? I've had three differnet people tell me this, and everytime i tell them it's total b*llsh*t. Anyone else here crap like this?

Frostberg

Yeah its "total b*llsh*t" Theres nothing to catch on fire...Maybe if you have a few aerosol cans around your Xbox and leave an everlasting flame nearby your Xbox along with some clothes it could catch on fire...but it isint gonna magically burst into flames...Has your computer ever done that? If it hasnt theres no way your Xbox will

The xbox is as much a PC as the PS2 and Gamecube and Dreamcast are PCs.

You will never be able to have a virus that affects the xbox's os though since it is burnt to ROM. That doesn't mean that it can't get a virus (no one knows that yet).
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Exclamation Xbox cant get viruses

the reason xbox cant get viruses is #1, how in the hell would you program one with a god **** video game controller? #2 the xbox doesnt read burnt cd's, so you couldnt burn a virus onto a cd and put it on there that way

Default Re: Xbox cant get viruses

Originally posted by StUmPy01
    the reason xbox cant get viruses is #1, how in the hell would you program one with a god **** video game controller? #2 the xbox doesnt read burnt cd's, so you couldnt burn a virus onto a cd and put it on there that way
    Actually that isn't entirely true.

1) They would be coded on computers after crackers break the encryption scheme. They are getting close on that.

2) Most cdr's yes it wont read. cdrw's it does read.

3) you didn't have a three but I will add that being online opens up some new doors. The xbox has to be communicating with something out there and that could be a security risk...although quite small.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Frostberg, I agree with you that creating a virus for the Xbox is probably very low on the priority list for a hacker. But I am concerned about those hackers/fanatics who dislike the Xbox and want to see it fail. What better way to raise doubt and cause problems then creating a virus. I can see all the fanboys screaming "see I told you the Xbox sux. It can get viruses. PS2/GC is better!" Though, I also have to admit that this is also very unlikely to happen.

We know at least part of the OS lives on ROM. But I remember reading somewhere that there is a dedicated parition on the hard drive for "system files". Now this could be as simple as a place to store the time and date. It could also be a place where updates to the ROM are downloaded so the ROM can be flashed/upgraded during the next power cycle.

I have a really hard time believing that MS gave us a truly sealed system. Any time you leave a door open, no matter how well protected, there is the possibility of intrusion.

It wouldn't hurt to invest in a firewall. All broadband users should have them anyway.

Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
    It wouldn't hurt to invest in a firewall. All broadband users should have them anyway.
    That's great advice! Hopefully people will invest in them and save themselves a lot of future grief and hassles.

Default DONT FEAR

First of when microsoft does go online it will have its own sever,only for xboxs not pcs an the only people online will have an xbox,an i know i wouldnt **** with anyone else baby!allso i heard a rumor from ps2 fans saying the xbox is blowing up tvs yeah my ass
    Hidden Content props to Caged Soul for the sig an props to my mom for giving birth to me

Default ps2 fans are ****ed because they dont own an xbox

an all they do is make **** up to make there system look good,but they to face the fact that xbox is funner ,better looking an more powerful then a piece of **** 2
    Hidden Content props to Caged Soul for the sig an props to my mom for giving birth to me

Thread Information