Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doom 3, GTA 3, FOX NEWS, and violence

You guys done yet?

Lik - stop with the assumptions, you sound like an ass.

Satch - I saw the 'sorry' thread, fine, just get over it - we're not here to babysit.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAYMAN
    I think you've got some "racist ignorant dumb fu**" issues of your own.

Let's not jump to conclusions. C'mon, he may be an icon, but the guy looks funny.

Satch, meet me after school. I'll kick your ***.
    Explain how im racist. if you cant, your talking outta your ass. and yep this is over with. he aplogized and that wraps it up. we called it a day.
    My signature violates TOS, so it was taken away

Quote Originally Posted by LikShotz
    Explain how im racist. if you cant, your talking outta your ass. and yep this is over with. he aplogized and that wraps it up. we called it a day.
    No man, I didn't suggest that you are a racist. I was trying to say that you saw/interpreted something that was not necessarily intended. Hey, De Jae Vu!

And you will know when I'm talking out of my ass, because I use my hands to squeeze my butt cheeks open and closed...

back to the main subject here ..... i think that video game violence is a problem. but so is violence on tv and in movies. i dont see why ur all bashing this politician, it is a problem. u cant question that. mabye it is the parents fault for letting the kids buy the game, but most of the time its the kid because he will convince his parents to let him buy it and they dont really understand what its about. i know this because i (14 years old) have gotten my parents to buy tons of M rated games, and im sure that if they knew what was really in them they would probably not have let me buy them in the first place. my point is, as much as i love violent bloody gorefilled killing games, i think they are causing problems to kids. i myself have found to be very desensitized because of all the violence i see (not saying i go around hurting people) but it has affected what i think and it affects many other kids negativley.

just my thoughts on this whole subject....

Anyhoo, back to the subject. What about all the violence on tv? I was watchin Fox News with my mom last night, and they talked into detail about this murder. The guy they where interviewing went into graphic detail about ways to kill someone and stuff like that. Where's the media on that one?

Yeah guys...uhhh, sorry me and Lik got distracted....anyway, I'm over that stupid program that made me post this thread in the first place...but it looks like it's turned into a good discussion with some good opinions. I myself love the bloody, mature games as well. (I also like sonic, smash brothers melee, etc. so it's not like I only like the nasty games)...anyway, what bostwick said IS kinda true...games actually have effected me in some way, like I'm not near as sensitive (like jermy said)...but to actually kill someone over games, you have to be already screwed up BEFORE you start playing games. Again, you can't blame the games.
    When you're alarm goes off in the morning, do a backflip straight out of bed without even sitting up, do some pushups while dodging bullets in slow motion, then do a cartwheel into your car while spinning a CD on the tip of your finger ... now you're a unique individual.

Well, I don't know what more they could do?
    There is already a ratings system in place.
    Unless they start vigorously prosecuting stores that sell these M rated games to minors.

the only solution i can see is to cut back on MAKING them. if u notice, practically every single game that comes out is violence based with the exception of sports. youd think mabye they could invent a new genre of game with no-killing but that sounds impossible to me. so there is no solution.
    bah!

Well Jermy, here's the thing. Violence basically HAS to be an element in any game if you wanna have fun in a fantasy world. Let's face it, 99% of us like some sort of violence. Hell, I think it might be a good thing that games let us get it out in a virtual world that SEEMS real because WE'RE in control. I mean, even Sonic as "animated violence" on the back. You just gotta have violence, with the exception of sports games and music games like Um Jammer Lammy or Gitaroo Man.
    When you're alarm goes off in the morning, do a backflip straight out of bed without even sitting up, do some pushups while dodging bullets in slow motion, then do a cartwheel into your car while spinning a CD on the tip of your finger ... now you're a unique individual.

Quote Originally Posted by jermy_64
    back to the main subject here ..... i think that video game violence is a problem. but so is violence on tv and in movies. i dont see why ur all bashing this politician, it is a problem. u cant question that. mabye it is the parents fault for letting the kids buy the game, but most of the time its the kid because he will convince his parents to let him buy it and they dont really understand what its about. i know this because i (14 years old) have gotten my parents to buy tons of M rated games, and im sure that if they knew what was really in them they would probably not have let me buy them in the first place. my point is, as much as i love violent bloody gorefilled killing games, i think they are causing problems to kids. i myself have found to be very desensitized because of all the violence i see (not saying i go around hurting people) but it has affected what i think and it affects many other kids negativley.

just my thoughts on this whole subject....
    Hey, I'm 15 and my parents know exactly what the games I play are like. They don't care because they know I can handle them. My mom let me buy Doom 3, and I showed her the game after.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic Pyro
    Hey, I'm 15 and my parents know exactly what the games I play are like. They don't care because they know I can handle them. My mom let me buy Doom 3, and I showed her the game after.
    What do you mean "after?"??///!?1/1?

...after... YOU SLAUGHTERED THEM IN THEIR SLEEP?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!!!!!!!!

Sleeping Hot Coffee

The fact is that ESRB and all the retailers that decided to ban GTA:SA are just looking for someone to point the finger at. It seems to me all the retailers that banned the game sell R Rated movies…but they won’t sell a video game that has adult content in it as well? A kid can buy one of those movies easier than they can acquire a video game with content like that. If they are going to try to stop this and “police” things they should really be a little more consistent. I just think they seized the opportunity to want to start a big ruckus over what is already in other games like Playboy the Mansion, The Guy Game, and Leisure Suit Larry. As far as violence take Manhunt for example, which is a fantastic game where you can suffocate your victims with a plastic bag but no controversy over it…why? And it was from the same manufacturer. Why single this game out when games are already exhibiting this type of content without needing a patch to unlock it? It makes a LOT of sense for us to spend tax payers money to make a rating with a single video game in it. THATS LUDICROUS! This debate is deeply rooted over what has been fought over for years and has gone as high as the Supreme Court. You cannot legislate morality, and this is a matter of taste, not ratings. If anyone is at fault here then it is ESRB for not having a thorough ratings system.
    "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."
    - Sun Tzu

Thread Information