Thread: HD-DVD in the 360 in 2006

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HD-DVD in the 360 in 2006

looks like it will be HD-DVD ready sometime after spring of next year. link

Microsoft has cleared the air in regards to ongoing speculation concerning possible HD-DVD functionality in future releases of the Xbox 360, saying that it currently has no plans to release an Xbox 360 equipped with a HD-DVD player.

The direct statement was made in an attempt to shoot down a report from a Japanese news service yesterday, which claimed that the company planned to launch an HD-DVD compatible Xbox 360 in 2006.

"Microsoft, in both America and Japan, has not announced anything regarding the possibility of a next generation DVD drive being placed in the Xbox 360," a Microsoft spokesperson told IGN. "There are currently no plans to release an Xbox 360 equipped with a next generation DVD player."

Speculation over whether such a device might be forthcoming originated with comments made back in August by Bill Gates himself, who said: "We are looking at whether future versions of Xbox 360 will incorporate an additional capacity of an HD-DVD player or something else."

Courtesy of Gamesindustry

I thought the ones out now had a HD-DVD player.... lol shows how much I know.

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Willy-XBA Hidden Content
    2011 Stanley Cup Champions - Toronto Maple Leafs

Master of Pong

Even if they do release one with the HD-DVD drive (years from now) it will be to play movies only. There's no way they will alienate current XBox2 owners by releasing HD-DVD games in the future. So the game side will be stuck with 9 GB discs for this generation.

ok if they change the drive to an Hd drive then basically the people who waited out for hours some in the frezzing cold are basically screwed over and have a lower model 360.

Quote Originally Posted by SH4MR0CK
    ok if they change the drive to an Hd drive then basically the people who waited out for hours some in the frezzing cold are basically screwed over and have a lower model 360.
    Unfortunately, by your reasoning, so is anyone who ever bought a technological device. I paid premium dollar for a computer with a 5" floppy drive, and now you're telling me there's newer and better stuff on the systems available now, for cheaper?! Man, I got screwed over.

Master of Pong

Quote Originally Posted by ShadedNine
    Unfortunately, by your reasoning, so is anyone who ever bought a technological device. I paid premium dollar for a computer with a 5" floppy drive, and now you're telling me there's newer and better stuff on the systems available now, for cheaper?! Man, I got screwed over.
    Except you probably won't be able to swap the drives out on the XBox2 that easily. And, in general, consoles are built to be standardized.

Still, no one should fret. Microsoft has denied these rumors, and for economic reasons that drive will never be for games even if it does get made.

Quote Originally Posted by swivel
    Except you probably won't be able to swap the drives out on the XBox2 that easily. And, in general, consoles are built to be standardized.

Still, no one should fret. Microsoft has denied these rumors, and for economic reasons that drive will never be for games even if it does get made.
    Microsoft will never admit that the rumors were true. It would definatly make people wait to get an Xbox360 if they knew in 2006 an Xbox360 would be comming out with a HD-DVD. I for one am waiting for this very reason....I want the most bang for my buck....

Quote Originally Posted by swivel

We'll see about that. It's a standard SATA data interface for the drive. The only thing proprietary is the power connector. I don't think it'll take longer than HD-DVD's release for someone to come out with an adapter.

Not that it matters anyway. I haven't yet, and don't plan to watch a movie on my 360 ever. I have a far superior player, with infinite capacity for upgrades, in my computer, which functions as a media center.

If you're waiting on HD-DVD....be prepared to sit on your hands for a while. The format won't be launching until 2nd Q next year at the very earliest.
    Last edited by ShadedNine; 12-19-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Yeah I said it, I thought the dvd drive was HD now

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Willy-XBA Hidden Content
    2011 Stanley Cup Champions - Toronto Maple Leafs

Default its coming in nov soon

heres the link http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...60hddvdplayer/
    you can pre order @ ebgames. even afess military exchange has it listed for release 11-07-2006

Thread Information