Thread: BBA Vs Commerce

Default BBA Vs Commerce

WTF is the difference and which one will most likely land me a job and prevent me from hanging myself?

Thanks.

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Willy-XBA Hidden Content
    2011 Stanley Cup Champions - Toronto Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by laughs View Post
    WTF is the difference and which one will most likely land me a job and prevent me from hanging myself?

Thanks.
    C. Prostitution

Maritimer

As I posted in the other thread..

Isn't a BBA focused more on managerial skills and gives a better perspective on more aspects of the functioning and management of a business than a B.Commerce.? A B.Commerce I would say is focused more towards the economics and finances of a business and financial leadership.

I could be way out in left field here though.

They are extremely similar but I believe a BBA is more focused on the managing and operating of a business..
    Willy2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Willy2.0-XBA View Post
    As I posted in the other thread..

Isn't a BBA focused more on managerial skills and gives a better perspective on more aspects of the functioning and management of a business than a B.Commerce.? A B.Commerce I would say is focused more towards the economics and finances of a business and financial leadership.

I could be way out in left field here though.

They are extremely similar but I believe a BBA is more focused on the managing and operating of a business..
    Oh really? I didn't see your other post... Or I completely forgot about it. Sometimes I type random questions just because I'm lonely and I like the interaction that results.

I'm going to get a BBA and then hang myself in two or three years down the road.

How's everything with you?

So I'm after being offered 4 summer jobs, two of which I'm interested in...

What would you take, one is with the school board... The other is with the hospital. The whole purpose is for me to make contacts... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh decisions!!!

Maritimer

Quote Originally Posted by laughs View Post
    So I'm after being offered 4 summer jobs, two of which I'm interested in...

What would you take, one is with the school board... The other is with the hospital. The whole purpose is for me to make contacts... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh decisions!!!

Weelllll... Everything with me is fine. I'm just on a work term right now with a major oil and gas company here in North America, then in September I'm going to Fort Mac to work as a student engineer in the oilsands. Things are great - Fort Mac sucks.

I would take either. It depends on you really.. I would think the Hospital job would be more interesting but possibly a better opportunity within future employment with the school board to 'move up' quicker.

It's really up to you though. It's nice you have two options though. Since I was a poor student before coming to work in the oil patch, I would have taken the job which pays better.
    Last edited by WillyV2; 06-23-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Willy2.0

It's like Frank the Tank's speech in Old School where he almost passes out at the end haha.

Since I was a poor student before coming to work in the oil patch, I would have taken the job which pays better.
    Ahahaha you mean all those chemistry classes didn't land you that job?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by laughs Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Nova Scotia is taking over XBA!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by drunkentexan Hidden Content
    We handle our killers, we'll kill em back.

Maritimer

Quote Originally Posted by SmartarseV2 View Post
    Ahahaha you mean all those chemistry classes didn't land you that job?
    Which job is that?
    Willy2.0

The one you're in now

Maritimer

Quote Originally Posted by SmartarseV2 View Post
    The one you're in now
    Those courses were useless for me. What a waste, eh?
    Willy2.0

You said it buddy. I've yet to use any of that hogwash. I know jet fuel burns, and I know I like the smell of it when it does. Thats all the chemistry I need.

mmm jet fuel

Nova Scotia is taking over XBA!

Alright Laughs, here's the skinny on business degrees.

Do not get a general business degree like 'business administration'

Here is why.

When you get a BBA what does this mean for a company that is looking at your resume?

What they see is a person fresh out of college with no considerable business experience and a degree that supposedly teaches them to lead with a broad overview of how a business works.

It's the equivalent of someone considering a career in the military and getting a degree in "being a military four-star general" and then enlisting with no previous experience. What use is he?

What this means is that you have a degree for a position of authority that you have no real business being in. You don't have the experience to be a manager or upper management.

So what should you do?

Get a degree that has a specific niche skill that will enable you to do a job even though you have no practical experience outside of college.

Examples would be degrees in 'accounting' or 'management information systems.' (I don't know about "commerce" that might be helpful if you're looking to be a salesman of some kind of commodity like lumber, maybe)

A business that needs a specific position related to your degree will choose you over some dude that has a bba which is a very general degree.

So bottom line, don't get a BBA, get something more specific and useful. Later, if you work hard, and your business thinks that you have the potential to be a leader in mid or upper management, you can get a masters of business which is like a BBA but is actually useful to those who already have a decent amount of business experience and will enable you to fulfill the needs of upper management.

There you go.
    Last edited by Soda Jones; 06-23-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Maritimer

Good stuff Soda.

laughs, I know here in Canada a lot of companies will generally pay for your MBA after a few years - at least engineering and science based companies. What are you currently taking in school?
    Willy2.0

Thanks, Soda *Blushes* Teee heee!!!

Yeah with the BBA you to go into any one of the following major areas of concentration:
    Accounting, Finance, Human Resources Management/Industrial Relations, Information Systems/Management Science/Operations Management, Marketing etc etc...

I've been concentrating on the HR/Industrial Relations side of things since my second year... The first year was general. I really love Industrial Relations.

Yeah I know a couple of people who did their BBAs a few years ago and their companies/departments are currently paying for their MBAs... Apparently they'll rake in around an additional 20k a year with a MBA... Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazahhhhhhhhhh.

Thread Information