Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: game console layout (newspaper)

Default game console layout (newspaper)

today in my local newspaper, they had a 2 page layout of all the current and soon to be released console, with short descriptions, prices and best games. i scanned xbox, gamecube and ps2 only cause my scanner isn't big enough for all of it... but i did take a picture of it with my digital camera...

warning: images are pretty big.
    Xbox
    GameQube
    Playsasion 2

(spelling of consoles might be a little off because i took them from the Offical Xbox Magazine )

it's pretty funny. they describe Gamecube to be for the "kiddies", the xbox to be for the "mature" gamer and call Sony the "reigning champion".

Note: all prices are in Canadian, so :P
    Hidden Content

My plots never fail.

Starving College Student

thats the most biased, unresearched, misleading, and flagrantly...WRONG...for back of better terms...article I have ever read. I cannot believe that was allowed to be published.
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Xboxmaster2001

haaaaaaaaahaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaa thats funny GC 300$ and games 70$ i wouldnt pay 10$ for the system and 1$ for a games

Starving College Student

Originally posted by Xboxmaster2001
    haaaaaaaaahaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaa thats funny GC 300$ and games 70$ i wouldnt pay 10$ for the system and 1$ for a games
    just in case u didn't notice, the paper and prices were canadian. the prices for the console and games in the US are $200 and about $50 respectively i think.
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

yea... the people at the newspaper know nothing about games... so they miss inform the public to buy gamecubes for their 8 year old children, PS2s for their teens and xboxs for their college kids.
    Hidden Content

My plots never fail.

Actually GC games are 60 a pop

Starving College Student

Originally posted by FuNiOnZ
    Actually GC games are 60 a pop
    ah, excuse me.

hopefully 1st party games will be cheaper like on GBA
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Wave Race is 1st party isnt it? And its 60 bucks.

The problem is, when n64 had its cartridges, it was that expensive cause of the costs to produce, so now nintendo chooses an equally hard to get format and charges the same amount. Bad Move nintendo.

Starving College Student

Originally posted by FuNiOnZ
    Wave Race is 1st party isnt it? And its 60 bucks.

The problem is, when n64 had its cartridges, it was that expensive cause of the costs to produce, so now nintendo chooses an equally hard to get format and charges the same amount. Bad Move nintendo.
    IGNcube's GAMECUBE FAQ said:
    Nintendo's proprietary GameCube discs will not inflate the costs of development, and in fact the company has said that its licensing fees for third-parties are comparable, if not better than those of competitor Sony's for PlayStation 2.
    also, in IGNcube's special feature-Gamecube Launch:Ready Your Budget, all Gamecube games are listed as $49.95

http://cube.ign.com/news/35616.html
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

LOL, Dude... This Says It All!
    Hidden Content ULTRA-VIOLENCE!

Starving College Student

anyone who thinks Madden is one of the best games, over titles such as Super Smash bros and rogue leader, has some serious problems. if you honestly believe that pile of trash...
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Talking

LOL, Tell That To BARNEY!
    Last edited by DOOM; 09-30-2001 at 10:43 PM.

Starving College Student

LOL! I havta admit thats funny
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

toy catalog i have lists the games as 59.99

Exclamation

Check Out What FORBES Has To Say About It:

Nintendo's Holidaze

NEW YORK - We should let Nintendo or Microsoft try explaining to kids across America exactly why they won't receive good videogames this Christmas. It will probably be a long and boring explanation filled with words like "manufacturing plant," "supply and demand" and a bunch of other terms too unpleasant for innocent children (and some grown men) to think about.

Since there may be a shortage of videogame consoles this holiday season, retail stores may have lots of empty videogame shelves to fill. Ideally, Nintendo should pounce on the opportunity and stock the shelves with its soon-to-be-released GameCube console. But no, the company recently said it won't be able to boost production in order to meet possibly increased U.S. demand.

Nintendo's scramble to get the hardware out the door raises the question of why the company is in the business in the first place. Hardware is a tough business to make a buck in. Wall Street analysts estimate it costs Nintendo about $380 to manufacture each GameCube console, which will sell retail for about $200. That means the company will lose about $180 on each unit sold. Even if Nintendo actually meets and sells the 1.1 million units expected to be sold in the U.S. by year-end, the GameCube will still be a money-losing product. Unfortunately, Nintendo is counting on GameCube to revive its profits. In May 2001, the company reported a decline in fiscal-year operating profit of more than 40%, and a 13% decline in revenue (although the company reported an increase in net profits due to a weak yen). The decline in operating profit was largely attributed to slow sales of its game console, Nintendo 64.

Hardware losses may be softened by lucrative software sales, including popular titles such as Donkey Kong 64, Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium. If all the profits are made in software anyway, is there a reason Nintendo should continue pursuing console sales? It's not entirely certain the GameCube will sell like hotcakes anyway. It was one thing for consumers to throw about $200 on a videogame console when the economy was booming, but given the current climate, a $200 purchase is a serious investment--even if that's a discount to competitors like Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people), which will sell its Xbox console for about $300.

Sega (otc: SEGNY - news - people) successfully pulled out of hardware, leaving the heavy lifting to those foolhardy enough to persist, and in May, the company said it expects to pull an operating profit by March 2002, after several years of losses. It was lauded as one of Sega's smartest moves. Instead of requiring its fans to dish out several hundred dollars for the Dreamcast console required to play Sega games, the company went hardware agnostic and is producing games for previous rivals, including Nintendo and Sony (nyse: SNE - news - people), thus enlarging the size of its market and eliminating hardware losses.

Of course, Nintendo is in a very different place from Sega. But supposing an economic recession cuts into GameCube sales--which isn't an outlandish scenario--the company would be foolish not to eliminate such an expensive operation.

Check It Out!
    http://www.forbes.com/2001/09/27/0927videogame.html

Starving College Student

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.c...n=item&id=2147

here's some quotes

In a flabbergastingly innacurate and plain inept piece of written horse manure Forbes sticks a foot in its mouth...
    "Since there may be a shortage of videogame consoles this holiday season, retail stores may have lots of empty videogame shelves to fill. Ideally, Nintendo should pounce on the opportunity and stock the shelves with its soon-to-be-released GameCube console. But no, the company recently said it won't be able to boost production in order to meet possibly increased U.S. demand."

So apparently even though Nintendo's plans will put more consoles in stores than any of their competitors could manage for launch they're coming up short...
    "Hardware is a tough business to make a buck in. Wall Street analysts estimate it costs Nintendo about $380 to manufacture each GameCube console, which will sell retail for about $200. That means the company will lose about $180 on each unit sold. Even if Nintendo actually meets and sells the 1.1 million units expected to be sold in the U.S. by year-end, the GameCube will still be a money-losing product. Unfortunately, Nintendo is counting on GameCube to revive its profits."

So now, aside from the fact the quote of $180 lost per system is absolutely out of left field (Nintendo bristles at even the thought of any loss let alone practically eating half the total cost) they're somehow not working hard enough to put themselves in the poorhouse given the earlier comment?
    forbes isn't exactly well known for its quality in trying (key word TRYING) to cover the gaming industry

and for your viewing pleasure, more of Forbes' horse manure

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.c...n=item&id=1261
    Last edited by Koopa; 09-30-2001 at 11:06 PM.
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Interesting article, and it helps to shed some light on some of the XBox's marketing ideas.

Lets Look At The Figures:

Gamecube = $200 ($180 Loss)
    - No DVD
    - No Modem
    - No Hard drive (And No Plans For One)

XBox = $300 (??? Loss)
    - DVD (+$30 To Cost)
    - Hard Drive (10g? Cheap!)
    - Modem (More Costly)

BUT Since Bundles Come With 3 Games (2 Are Likely To Be First Party) The XBox may have only a slight loss compared to the Gamecube.

XBox info my opinion, not fact.

Starving College Student

Originally posted by maneatingcow
    Interesting article, and it helps to shed some light on some of the XBox's marketing ideas.

Lets Look At The Figures:

Gamecube = $200 ($180 Loss)
    - No DVD
    - No Modem
    - No Hard drive (And No Plans For One)

XBox = $300 (??? Loss)
    - DVD (+$30 To Cost)
    - Hard Drive (10g? Cheap!)
    - Modem (More Costly)

BUT Since Bundles Come With 3 Games (2 Are Likely To Be First Party) The XBox may have only a slight loss compared to the Gamecube.

XBox info my opinion, not fact.
    read the post above yours
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Koopa

forbes isn't exactly well known for its quality in trying (key word TRYING) to cover the gaming industry

This is one of the dumbest comments I've seen in my life. Forbes not known for quality???

Making things up to support your cause proves nothing.

Seems like you failed Business 101.

LMFAO

LOL, Sure I Bet PlanetGameCube Would Say That...
    LMFAO!
    Forbes Is Well Respected In The BIZ World Dude...

Thread Information