Thread: Ferraro Design Develops USB Mouse Interface for Xbox

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Default look at this wierd Controller

I found this while I was surfing the net, its pretty cool:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ferraro Design has conducted a design study and developed a working prototype of a mouse and ClawTM combination for Xbox.

Ferraro Design’s concept allows a standard MicrosoftTM USB mouse to be connected to XboxTM via the ClawTM. This allows gamers to play First Person Shooter (FPS) games, such as HaloTM, using the familiar mouse and ClawTM set-up (please see attached image). The mouse performs a standard “mouse look” function as well as primary and secondary fire modes. The ClawTM controls player movement and weapon configuration. All standard XboxTM controller keys are handled by the mouse and ClawTM setup.

Last edited by faceoff508; 05-19-2002 at 09:06 AM.
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

Default rip off

that controller looks like a cheezy rip-off of the MS System Commander that was out for PC. Hopefully MS will release a version of it for XBox and put this company out of business. Look at those square buttons for christ sake.. I could make something better than that. So could my mother in law's grade 8 class

Dude its a prototype. Alot of times in the prototyping stage of a new component they don't have all the components fully defiened...I'm sure the final version won'y have those ugly ass square buttons.

Despite the fact that this is a prototype, It does look cool. But do you think that it will give some people an unfair advantage?
    Hidden Content

(I hope to have X-Ray changed to Peepers)

Wow! That thing looks awesome! I hope it allows more people to enjoy console FPS.

Originally posted by Xtopia
    Wow! That thing looks awesome! I hope it allows more people to enjoy console FPS.
    Yes and so do I, but the real question is whether it will unlevel the playing field.
    Hidden Content

Default Re: rip off

Originally posted by Hellraisr
    that controller looks like a cheezy rip-off of the MS System Commander that was out for PC. Hopefully MS will release a version of it for XBox and put this company out of business. Look at those square buttons for christ sake.. I could make something better than that. So could my mother in law's grade 8 class
    FOCK THAT THING! it looks like it's made for the left hand... i'll pass. just like did on the ms commander thing. to bad it wasn't right handed or i might have bought one.
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein = THE BEST GAME EVER!

Hidden Content

RadRider

The left hand thing - what you essentiall buy, has the main buttons for movement in FPS's placed directly under your control. There's a port in the thing for you to plug a standard mouse into, that you use with your right hand. It's basically a keyboard and mouse design, only with a highly modified keyboard - and it works with every Xbox game!

Originally posted by X-Ray

Yes and so do I, but the real question is whether it will unlevel the playing field.
    I highly doubt it. Think about it.., the xbox controller was designed with the whole idea of being just as functional as a regular kb & mouse setup. I don't know about you, but I play Halo just as well with the xbox controller as I do an FPS on my computer with mouse and kb. I think this is mostly just offering an extra something for people with different preferences.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Default Re: Re: rip off

Originally posted by OEM Alien
    FOCK THAT THING! it looks like it's made for the left hand... i'll pass. just like did on the ms commander thing. to bad it wasn't right handed or i might have bought one.
    Intelligent comment by the way...

Anyhoo, that thing is for the left hand.. you use it with a right-handed mouse as the picture clearly shows.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

RadRider

And as I said....
    Anyway, I find that I suck on Halo as opposed to other FPS's I play on the PC. You could say that it's because Halo is a harder game, but that's simply not true. I'd be willing to give this device a go to see if I can finally kick ass. As long as it comes with that cool figure-eight style platform.

Originally posted by RadRider
    And as I said....
    Anyway, I find that I suck on Halo as opposed to other FPS's I play on the PC. You could say that it's because Halo is a harder game, but that's simply not true. I'd be willing to give this device a go to see if I can finally kick ass. As long as it comes with that cool figure-eight style platform.
    Ya, you hadn't posted that stuff yet when I started writing my reply

I actually find that I am better at Halo.. I think its because with the right analog stick I can have a steadier "sweep" than with the mouse if you know what I mean. I hate having to lift my mouse off the desk and replacing it in the middle of the mousepad all the time. Lose precious milliseconds
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Dre

Ya, you hadn't posted that stuff yet when I started writing my reply

I actually find that I am better at Halo.. I think its because with the right analog stick I can have a steadier "sweep" than with the mouse if you know what I mean. I hate having to lift my mouse off the desk and replacing it in the middle of the mousepad all the time. Lose precious milliseconds
    I sympathize with you entirely! I prefer the controller. But a mouse does give you a little bit more control in some areas if you know what I mean...It's hard to explain.
    Hidden Content

I didn't really like mouse/keyboard till I bought a track ball. Still prefer console controller.

Probably just because I spent way too much time w/ Goldeneye.

Wow, that would be a great thing to have, mouse and that other hand thingy... prolly just because I spent way too much time playing quake 3 though... If you are playing halo online, see someone flying through the air and then catch a sniper shot to the head... yeah, that was prolly me because I bought my mouse

This has already bin posted. It was intitled 'the claw'. It does look pretty cool, but i'm pretty sure it's just a prototype.
    "That's the way she goes, boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't cause that's the f*ck*ng way she goes."

"TCM -- Forever Gunnin' For The Best; To The First 4"

Thread Information