Thread: Xbox Mod-Chip On Sale

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Default Xbox Mod-Chip On Sale

The Xtender, a "mod chip" intended to be added to the main circuit board of the Xbox, went on sale last weekend through retailers such as Hong Kong-based Lik Sang. Three other Xbox mod chips are also in development.

Most of the mod chips promise similar functions based on disabling copy-protection features built into the Xbox. Customers are promised the ability to play games copied on recordable CD and DVD discs (and perhaps swapped as files on the Internet), play otherwise inaccessible foreign titles, and copy DVD movie discs otherwise protected by software from Macrovision.

The makers of the Xtender, the Enigma and the Messiah mod chips did not respond to e-mail requests for comment. Analysts said the chips are unlikely to promote a wave of illegal file swapping similar to the MP3 phenomenon that has polarized the music industry or to the emerging movie piracy threat.

For starters, using the mod chips requires disassembling the Xbox case and affixing the chip to the circuit board, a task that can require more than 20 soldering connections.

Here is the full article:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...9/tc_cn/924666

------XBA
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

Portable Mammogramistâ„¢ DrUnKtAnK's Avatar

Default Re: Xbox Mod-Chip On Sale

Originally posted by faceoff508
    ....affixing the chip to the circuit board, a task that can require more than 20 soldering connections.

Here is the full article:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...9/tc_cn/924666

------XBA
    That just scares the hell out of me.....
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high">Hidden Content quality="high" pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="180" width="470">

Default Re: Re: Xbox Mod-Chip On Sale

Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK

That just scares the hell out of me.....
    Whats wrong with that?
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

20 soldering connections?
    Hidden Content Avatar created by Hotshot657.

Originally posted by Veno
    20 soldering connections?
    And that means?

That's alot of soldering is what he means.

Although it is better than the 30 wires of the other chip out there.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

It means trying to affix over 20 small wires to various even smaller points on a board...one slip and no more XBOX.
    God was my co-pilot but but we crashed in the mountains and I was forced to eat him.

THE DEVILS BRIGADE
    "infensus incursus"
    www.devilsbrigadepage.tk

not that hard to do! what this article didn't mention is that the chip they have out now sucks and the enigmah-x chip is going to enable svcd, divx playback, region free, and removes macromedia as well, and of course it plays all of the games that you have bought and decided to back up since it costs to much to replace the games!

peace~

trouble with soldering: accidentall add too much flux or solder and suddenly your solder covers more than one circuit, rendering your xbox a paperweight or door stop. Or you could sear the circuit with the iron, also leaving you with an elaborate paperweight. And whats even more cool is the fact that by opening up your box to mod it, you managed to void the warrenty, so you can't exchange it. Hope you have sure hands...

I chipped my PSO and it was only 6 wires it worked but my reset button never worked again I only did it because I had my money down on an XBOX and refused to spend any more money on games for the PSO. Even then they started coming out with games the chip wouldn't work on. To me it's just not worth attempting.
    God was my co-pilot but but we crashed in the mountains and I was forced to eat him.

THE DEVILS BRIGADE
    "infensus incursus"
    www.devilsbrigadepage.tk

Originally posted by KraftSLU
    trouble with soldering: accidentall add too much flux or solder and suddenly your solder covers more than one circuit, rendering your xbox a paperweight or door stop. Or you could sear the circuit with the iron, also leaving you with an elaborate paperweight. And whats even more cool is the fact that by opening up your box to mod it, you managed to void the warrenty, so you can't exchange it. Hope you have sure hands...
    or just return it to wal-mart with no questions asked!

Originally posted by Shaggy

or just return it to wal-mart with no questions asked!
    actually wal-mart is getting strict. At my local walmart you can't return items over 200 dollars without a receipt anymore. guess they are tired of getting screwed.

lol, but the xbox is 199.99! just made it by 1 cent!

Originally posted by Snoopy7548
    lol, but the xbox is 199.99! just made it by 1 cent!
    Haha. That's d a m n funny man.

Then again, I'm easily amused.

Thread Information