Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doom 3 On The Way To Xbox

Default Doom 3 On The Way To Xbox

Doom III, one of the overall standout games of E3 2002, may come to the Xbox, but only after the PC version.

Going into E3, there was quite a bit of speculation that Activision and id Software would announce that Doom III would be a console game. As far back as last summer, John Carmack, id's lead programmer, commented that the game's advanced graphics engine would be best adapted to the Xbox out of the current generation of consoles. Yet at E3, Doom III was only announced for release on the PC, and it's scheduled for sometime in 2003. Nonetheless, id has left the door open for a console version of the game. Todd Hollenshead, CEO of id Software, said, "We will put more thought into the console side once we're done with the PC version, but Xbox looks the most attractive at this point."

There are a couple reasons why it may take a while for the game to make the switch from PC to consoles. Doom III is designed to push the bar for game graphics, and it's very hardware-intensive. The Doom III gameplay demo at E3 was running on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 PC with a next-generation ATI graphics card that has yet to be announced. Certainly, the game will run on less cutting-edge PCs, but too early to say how slower hardware will affect the quality of the game's graphics. In addition to heavy hardware requirements, another factor that will weigh on an Xbox version is the fact that the game is designed for the OpenGL graphics API rather than Microsoft's DirectX standard, which was adapted to the Xbox. We've seen past id games land on consoles, such as Quake III Revolution for PlayStation2, so it just may be a matter of time.

Sweet!! First, I heard this game was coming, then I heard it wasn't coming, an now I hear it is coming. We will just have to see.

Frostberg

I think it will come. It is sure to be a huge seller!

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Lets celebarate!!
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

Originally posted by XBox Owner
    Sweet!! First, I heard this game was coming, then I heard it wasn't coming, an now I hear it is coming. We will just have to see.
    Ditto. I seen Doom III posts all over the place. Let's hope Doom III does happen on the Xbox.
    "That's the way she goes, boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't cause that's the f*ck*ng way she goes."

"TCM -- Forever Gunnin' For The Best; To The First 4"

the guy made it clear that if its gonna happen on a console its gonna happen on xbox.

Yeah, I read that already. I doubt its coming. Carmack said he didn't want it on a console. this is just propoganda. However, MS would pay a lot of money to get this on xbox.

this got me really really mad, i was watching extended play last night (god that guy is so annoying and retarted). and they were talking about how awesome doom 3 is for the pc. and this is what really got me mad, the guy said something like this: "although this game is really great on the pc, it would be impossible to port it to any console". god that guy is stupid, he should do a little research before saying that stupid sh*t

Originally posted by Snoopy7548
    this got me really really mad, i was watching extended play last night (god that guy is so annoying and retarted). and they were talking about how awesome doom 3 is for the pc. and this is what really got me mad, the guy said something like this: "although this game is really great on the pc, it would be impossible to port it to any console". god that guy is stupid, he should do a little research before saying that stupid sh*t
    yea yea!
    i saw that..
    they said that the graphics and stuff are soooo advanced...
    that no console would be able to handle it....
    so i doubt its coming...but well see

peace
    OFFICAL XBA CANADIAN , EH?Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Claymore61
    are mecs adminsters who monitor chat?

yea, i hope its comin to the xbox. even john carmack said that the xbox is powerful enough to handle doom 3, and that he would like to make it for the xbox also.

GRAVEDIGGER

Default Hmm...

LoL...Sessler is quite the simpleton, he bables on and on as if he has expertise in an area of which he only watches from a-far..
    And yea, i too heard him say that drivel about Doom not being on any console...sadly for him he said it with such confidence and assurance

Untill next time...

Before you begin name-calling you may want to learn how to spell "retarded".

He could very well be right considering that what was shown at E3 was being run at medium quality on a next generation video card that isn't coming out until this fall and that Doom III is scheduled for a 2003 PC launch. From the basics that we know it could be that if it was ported to the Xbox it wouldn't be as 'pretty' as on the PC at that time. I wouldn't say it is impossible but it looks like the folks playing it on the PC's will have the much better version. Of course the Xbox only costs $200 and that is less than what the video card needed to run this game will cost, that is for sure.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Sounds cool but it wont be any Halo

Default true

its probably gonna be better

Hidden Content I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. Hidden Content

wu3000 graphically its gonna be better gameplay wise i highly doubt it...

MS might as well pay id for Doom 3, I mean everyone has a price. Doom 3 only on Xbox for several months would sell systems for sure. Carmack has a price, but is MS willing to reach it. People would be upset if he decided it's gonna debut on the Xbox, but he's John Carmack, he can do whatever he wants to do.

Originally posted by GokuX
    MS might as well pay id for Doom 3, I mean everyone has a price. Doom 3 only on Xbox for several months would sell systems for sure. Carmack has a price, but is MS willing to reach it. People would be upset if he decided it's gonna debut on the Xbox, but he's John Carmack, he can do whatever he wants to do.
    its definetely not going to debut on xbox bt i think there is a fair amount of chance that we could see this game on the xbox after the pc release.

I'll buy it for the PC if my Athlon 2100+, Radeon 8500, and 1G DDR-333 RAM are up to the task. If not, I'll wait for the XBOX version. I'm not willing to upgrade my PC just to play DOOM 3.

Oh I am.
    Hidden Content Avatar created by Hotshot657.

Thread Information