Thread: Reviews

The Great One

Lightbulb Reviews

It seems to me that the reviews, lately, are becoming more and more unreliable. If you take a look at the top 75 reviews, sorted by score, you'll see that half of the listed are at %80 or above! Now, I like a lot of the Xbox games out there, but they all aren't that stellar. My theories are these:

1) People review games based more on the hype then the actual game

2) People don't review the games that they don't like

My suggestions are:

1) Use a measuring stick. Compare it with another game proven to be excellent(right now, I would say the only real consensus top notch game is Halo). Don't give a game a 5.0 unless you think it's as good as Halo, or whatever game is your measuring stick.

2) Don't delude yourself. We all buy games that turn out to be duds once in a while. We tend to delude ourselves at first, seeing as we just spent $50 on a game, when in reality it sucks. This is why 95% of the time, I rent before I buy.

3) Don't believe the hype. Make sure you are giving YOUR review, and not just rewording some other review. Every game that I like usually has some little thing that makes it stand out to me. Give some original opinions on the game.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I'm going to try and review a few games I didn't like, so as not to be too much of the hypocrit.

You also gotta keep in mind as people write these reviews they just got a "new" game. New games always tend to be exciting when you 1st get them. I think to get a real review, comments should be posted 1 month after having the game. THats when i realize how good the game actual is.

But thats just me..........

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

First of all, welcome to XBA. Second, I can't really agree with you there. I think most XBox games are underrated, JMO. Like World Series Baseball, gamespot gave it a 7.4? I think not. Infact, the user reviews are I 9.0, I believe. I do agree with you on some spots, like renting, I do that about 90% of the time, with the exception of halo, because everyone knows it's incredible, and I knew I would like it. I also agree with you on how you said that it is good to give your opinions, because you don't want to trick people, also.

Dulacc, what games do u think got to high of ratings?
    xbox 360 games owned...Amped 3, NBA2K7 & Guitar Hero 2

Wii games owned: wii play

The Great One

Thumbs down Games with too high a rating on Xbox Addict

Just a quick gander through the list:

Hunter: The Reckoning
    Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
    NFL 2k2
    2002 Fifa World Cup
    Cel Damage
    Triple Play 2002
    Pirates: Legend of Black Kat
    New Legends

Not necessarily a complete list.

Note: I'm not saying these are bad games. Just overrated. Some due to being too new(like Elder Scrolls). Others, just because they are.

Default Re: Games with too high a rating on Xbox Addict

Originally posted by Dulacc

NFL 2k2
    2002 Fifa World Cup
    Cel Damage
    Triple Play 2002
    New Legends

Note: I'm not saying these are bad games. Just overrated. Some due to being too new(like Elder Scrolls). Others, just because they are.
    Dulacc have you played any of these games? If you have then you can most certainly judge whether the game is overrated or not but otherwise maybe you should wait and reserve judgement. And remember regardless of who is giving the review--it is simply the opinion of the reviewer that's all. For example, I don't think Hunter is overrated simply because it is that much fun to play (especially with friends), but PGR IMO was tedious and quickly lost my attention.

again it is a persons opinion why a game is good or not! I personally believe that most games that do come out on the box are pretty damn good though!

Default Re: Games with too high a rating on Xbox Addict

NFL 2k2
    2002 Fifa World Cup
    Cel Damage
    Triple Play 2002
    New Legends

agreed

Originally posted by JJaX
    You also gotta keep in mind as people write these reviews they just got a "new" game. New games always tend to be exciting when you 1st get them. I think to get a real review, comments should be posted 1 month after having the game. THats when i realize how good the game actual is.

But thats just me..........
    good point man!
    im always pumped when i get a new game!

peace
    OFFICAL XBA CANADIAN , EH?Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Claymore61
    are mecs adminsters who monitor chat?

I guess 1st of all you have to remember your in an XBOX site.

You may be right on most of your points, I usually post reviews only on games i have played more than 10 to 15 hours. I feel thats more than ample time to form an opinion.

Although i disagree with your list...My opionion of course.

The Great One

Default woo hoo

Thanks for your responses. I figured I'd just get ignored.

A couple of responses:

1) I have played each game that I said was overrated. I wouldn't have said they were if I hadn't.

2) I love the xbox. I'm not sure what the point was of mentioning that this was xbox site. I'm not blasting the xbox, or even the games I mentioned as overrated. I'm just saying that there may be some loss of objectivity in the reviews.

I know I touched a nerve when I listed Hunter as overrated. That was almost the point. The game is so new that it's hard to see what place Hunter has in overall scheme of things. I guess I was reacting a little to some of the reviews saying it is better than Halo. Here's my experience with the game. I rented it(always rent before buy), and played it for about 6-8 hours. After the first couple of levels, tedium set in. I was finding myself having to take breaks from the game in order to fight the boredom. It's very much a cookie-cutter button masher game. How does it get harder? More zombies. More zombies. More zombies. I guess I was expecting a little more diversity. My question: Can you REALLY see yourself beating the game, and still playing it 6 months from now?

I guess I'm skeptical.

Default Re: woo hoo

Thanks for your responses. I figured I'd just get ignored.

A couple of responses:

1) I have played each game that I said was overrated. I wouldn't have said they were if I hadn't.

2) I love the xbox. I'm not sure what the point was of mentioning that this was xbox site. I'm not blasting the xbox, or even the games I mentioned as overrated. I'm just saying that there may be some loss of objectivity in the reviews.

I know I touched a nerve when I listed Hunter as overrated. That was almost the point. The game is so new that it's hard to see what place Hunter has in overall scheme of things. I guess I was reacting a little to some of the reviews saying it is better than Halo. Here's my experience with the game. I rented it(always rent before buy), and played it for about 6-8 hours. After the first couple of levels, tedium set in. I was finding myself having to take breaks from the game in order to fight the boredom. It's very much a cookie-cutter button masher game. How does it get harder? More zombies. More zombies. More zombies. I guess I was expecting a little more diversity. My question: Can you REALLY see yourself beating the game, and still playing it 6 months from now?

I guess I'm skeptical.
    Hunter IMO is overrated. I bought the game, had AWESOME time. But, I have no desire to beat it again yet. Its an awesome multiplayer game though so I'm happy I got it in that respect.

Morrowind on the other hand is not an over-hyped title IMHO. It lives up to everything I was expecting it too and then some. I could not be happier with my purchase of this game and its replaced Halo as my #1 xbox title.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by highlite23
    I guess 1st of all you have to remember your in an XBOX site.

You may be right on most of your points, I usually post reviews only on games i have played more than 10 to 15 hours. I feel thats more than ample time to form an opinion.

Although i disagree with your list...My opionion of course.
    yo man...
    this is for u..

peace
    OFFICAL XBA CANADIAN , EH?Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Claymore61
    are mecs adminsters who monitor chat?

Thread Information