Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am considering dumping my Xbox...

Default I am considering dumping my Xbox...

Man this whole thing started with Outlaw Golf... I am constantly getting dirty disk errors and freezes. This never happens with anyother games or DVD's but a person from Hypnotix, the developer of Outlaw Golf suggests that because I have a early unit, I picked it up 2 days after launch, I have a defective unit and that dirty disk errors will become more prevelent in other games. The Hypnotix guy says that the people who are reporting dirt disk errors are mainly those early Xbox buyers... those before Christmas.

I am disapointed with MicroSofts response to my inquiries... they have mainly responded by saying that there is a problem with the softwares programing. No one has been able to tell me why my Xbox works fine and dandy with all other games and DVD's but not with the OLG.

The idea that my Xbox may be deteriorating and might begin to experience dirty disk errors more frequently has led me to the point of considering dumping my Xbox for store credit at EB...

I could then:

A. Get a new Xbox (the repair of my Xbox if it is found defective could exceed $70, why have a repaired unit when I could have a new one?)

B. Get a GameCube (Fun games, but not really my bag, would save me money tho~)

C. Get a PS2 (Great games, a little behind the technology curve, but tried and true, I never had a problem, not one, with my PS1)

D. Pick up a few Computer Games/DVD's (Last option, not really a good idea)

Give me some feedback, for those of you who know me you know I have been here since Nov 2001, I have been active and while I have not posted as many times as Maximus and Ninja Scroll but I have tried to bring some good posts, controversy, and generally interesting information to this community. I really appreciate any constructive feedback.... meaning please leave the flames and fanboy attitudes out of your posts.

PhReeK out!
    Last edited by FpS_PhReeK; 06-19-2002 at 03:18 PM.
    PhReeK out!

lemme put the situation into perspective using a girlfriend/boyfriend real life situation...

ahem

you have yourself a girlfriend who you love and apprecaite.... this girlfriend looks great (no jaggies like her friends), has a great voice (DDigital babyyy), and is just awesome to play with for hours.... the relationship has been going good for you for the past couples months and things are really looking up... until... one day, problems start to arise in the relationship... and they continue... and continue...

looks at his watch and sees that its lunchtime

ok.. to make a long story REAL short, don't dump the XboX just because its giving you problems... you know you love the system... so why take away your pleasure? instead of paying out cash for a GameCube or a PS2, repair the XboX and BE HAPPY!

if it makes you feel any better, my harddrive crashed 3 days ago on my XboX... and i lost ALL my saved games...
    but i got my new one coming in tonite... and i'm happier then ever!!

For the one millionth time.

Buy a new xbox (but thats not all)
    Now you got a brand new receipt and a brand new box.

Put your old xbox in the box and return saying that it didn't work.
    Now your old xbox is back at the store andyou got a new xbox.

hey there is a fix for your problem in the forums on my sig!

I feel sorry for ya man! That's a bummer to have a bad X-Box If I were you, I'd just save up the dough and get a new X-Box. I know that would be worth it. I have no idea what you should do with the old one. Take it apart and keep the innards or something? I hope you make a good decision.

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

man...that sux...its unfortunate...but tru..regardless of what the product or who the manufacturer is....their will always be prblems/defects/etc.

my personal opinion....its worth keeping your xbox regardless of wether u need to fix it or buy a new one......

i own all the next gen consoles....and if i was in your predicament...i would deffinately make sho i had a properly working xbox one way or the other. i can't for sho say the same if i had probs with my other consoles.

btw..if u end up buying a new console....get the extended warranty....i did...and its worth it to have the peace of mind that your covered. also if i have even the slightest probs with my console or 1st party controllers...i just bring em in and get new ones on the spot..no questions asked!

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

I heard that many Outlaw Golf disks were erroneous, but who cares, golf sucks anyway go buy Morrowind.

Originally posted by EHWfedPres
    I heard that many Outlaw Golf disks were erroneous, but who cares, golf sucks anyway go buy Morrowind.
    outlaw golf doesnt suck...have you even played it?

Originally posted by wweomaniac

you cant do that, the searile (SP?) numbers wont mach and they wont take it back at wal*mart , you have to swap the insides out and keep your old case.

Originally posted by EHWfedPres
    I've noticed a lot of your recent posts in different threads... And you seem to dis every game they're talking about and tell them to buy Morrowind. Thats wonderful if you like Morrowind, and recommend it to people. But its just plain childish to say every other game "sucks".

I don't see what your problem is.....it sounds like you bought the xbox at EB, which they are very good at exchanging consoles.

My first xbox I got on launch day. It developed some problems about 6 weeks later (everything started freezing....never got the dirty disk error message though). I finally said enough is enough, and I took it back, and told them it ain't working right, they took it, came back 1 minute later with a brand new xbox, gave it to me, told me if I was unlucky enough to have it break donw once a month for the next year, I could bring it in every time and they would give me another one right on the spot. I took my new xbox and went whistling on my way.

By the way....you do have the extended warranty, right? RIGHT??????????????

i got my xbox the first day it came out, and i havent had any problems with it yet

Originally posted by hook-worm J

I've noticed a lot of your recent posts in different threads... And you seem to dis every game they're talking about and tell them to buy Morrowind. Thats wonderful if you like Morrowind, and recommend it to people. But its just plain childish to say every other game "sucks".

Its ok for people to say that Outlaw Golf is a good game...so its ok for me to say that its a bad game. My opinion means the same as everyone else's.

Its ok for people to say that Outlaw Golf is a good game...so its ok for me to say that its a bad game. My opinion means the same as everyone else's.
    unless, of course, you have never played the game. You have played the game, right? RIGHT? If not, your opinion does NOT mean the same as everyone else's who have played the game.

of course i played it, why would I say it sucked if I didnt know for sure?

beeswax not yours inc. silvertrace's Avatar

i bought morrowind and outlaw golf, i'm happy with both

as for your problems with your box, u should have gotten the insurance!!!!!!!!
    gone but not forgotten.....

sounds lik ur xbox already dumped you
    Your off the squad!
    Take That!

Originally posted by silvertrace
    i bought morrowind and outlaw golf, i'm happy with both

as for your problems with your box, u should have gotten the insurance!!!!!!!!
    errr..what type of insurance do you have on your XBox man? Progressive? Prudential? State Farm?

What silver meant was that you should of gotten the warranty.

3 things to do man:

1. Go buy a new one (with the warranty)

2. Return the one that is broken with the new receipt (I don't think that this will kill the warranty).

3. Right the developers of Outlaw Golf a letter explaining that you are dissatisfied with their customer service. If all other games work, along with other DVD's, it is obviously a problem with their software. The one thing that I hate while being a tech, is that no one ever thinks that the problem is their fault, but pushed the blame onto someone else. They probably had a problem with coding the earlier xboxes (which I have NEVER heard of) or they had a bunch of bad ones. They are a new developer and this stuff can happen.

Good luck man...and I'm just trying to help a brutha out

Originally posted by MOrgE
    lemme put the situation into perspective using a girlfriend/boyfriend real life situation...

ahem

you have yourself a girlfriend who you love and apprecaite.... this girlfriend looks great (no jaggies like her friends), has a great voice (DDigital babyyy), and is just awesome to play with for hours.... the relationship has been going good for you for the past couples months and things are really looking up... until... one day, problems start to arise in the relationship... and they continue... and continue...

looks at his watch and sees that its lunchtime

ok.. to make a long story REAL short, don't dump the XboX just because its giving you problems... you know you love the system... so why take away your pleasure? instead of paying out cash for a GameCube or a PS2, repair the XboX and BE HAPPY!

if it makes you feel any better, my harddrive crashed 3 days ago on my XboX... and i lost ALL my saved games...
    but i got my new one coming in tonite... and i'm happier then ever!!

Thanks for the insight, hehe I like the "nice voice (DDigital babyyy)" lol.

Well I decided to get a lens cleaner and a new copy of the game... so I will give it some time. I have payed for a few minutes but I have not had any real time to test the game and my hardware... I pray to the game gods that I will not see any problems.

PhReeK out!
    PhReeK out!

Originally posted by wweomaniac

I don't know if it would work, serial numbers you know...

I don't think that I could do it anyway,,, just not my style. Thanks for the support tho~

PhReeK out!
    PhReeK out!

Thread Information