Thread: Getting my XBOX online this weekend: Help

Default Getting my XBOX online this weekend: Help

Now, I want to get my XBOX online this weekend... what am i going to need? I have Rogers Cable Internet (fast enough)

what cables/wires do i need, and how can i set this up... my computer is about 20 feet away from my XBOX

You will need a hub and an ethernet cable (not crossover). Then connect your xbox to the hub and either dl xbconnect (http://www.xbconnect.com or Game spy and gamespy tunnel http://www.gamespyarcade.com

EDIT- Gamespy has more people and xbconnect has less lag. Also people on XBconnect are a lot better than people on game spy.

but there are so many Hubs out there I don't know what to get

i went to futureshop.ca and looked at hubs, big selection i dont know what the hell i need

Get a linksys router, that's your best bet. Then go to here for an excellent FAQ on how to hook it up. Have fun man.

XBA's Official Doctor Snake Eyez's Avatar

You can get a router, but you don't have to. I went to Best Buy and bought their cheapest hub with 4 slots. It was about $30. That is all I needed to connect to play online or to hook up four X Boxes at my apartment.

get a cheap hub

OK Raven you basically have 2 choices at futureshop.ca for cheap hubs. You can get the "NetGear EN104TP Ethernet Hub 10BT 4RJ45 Ports (No BNC or AUI Ports)" for $50. Or you can get the "Netgear 4-Port 10BT Hub - Refurbished - Web Exclusive" for $30. And www.xbconnect.com has great info for setting up the hub to play online.
    "Halo 2 is alot like Halo, only it's Halo on fire going through the hospital zone 130 miles per hour being
    chased by helicopters and ninjas, and the ninjas are on fire too"

Griesemer: Halo 2 is going to be everything you liked about Halo, only wrapped in bacon and deep-fried. As everyone knows, bacon makes even the best things even better.

I think I should try going online this weekend to. I already have a cable connection and a router, and my network is all set up. I just wanted to know one thing. The computer that you install gamespyarcade and gamespy tunnel, do it have to be internet sharing computer or can I install them on any of the computers on the network?

Raven, you should get a linksys router at Best Buy. Go for the cheapest one as possible. Network cables aren't cheap though.
    Last edited by stewy_gt; 06-28-2002 at 10:33 PM.
    All losers have a place in this world, the make the winners look good.

Don't bother wasting money on hubs. Save and get a 5port 10/100MBPS switch. Hubs are inefficient and just plain slow.... Or even better get a router. You won't regret a router...
    |Xbox Console| |Microsoft High Definition AV Pack| |1080i Resolution| |Halo| |DOA3||Xbox Live Beta Tester|

Only get a router if you plan to network.

Yes, a switch is faster and more efficient for a hub. It is also overkill for XBOX online gaming.

A typical cable modem only gives you 1.5Mbps down. That is less than 1/66 the capacity of a hub. Who cares if a switch is 2, 3, 4, or even 5 times more efficient than a hub? Even at maximum load a 5-port hub is still THIRTEEN TIMES more powerful than you need to keep up with a 1.5Mbps cable modem connection.

My advice: Buy the cheapest hub you can find.

Thread Information