Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Dolby Digital 5.1

Default Xbox Dolby Digital 5.1

Ok, so yesterday (sunday, sept 29th) I went to futureshop and bought my new Home Theater system! Hooray! I got a Home Theater in a box. I got a Panasonic SCHT75. To me it sounds just as good if not better than my uncles set up that cost him a couple grand. He has all seperate components that are supposed to be awesome. It is awesome so far and I love it. I have a question though. How do you set up Dolby Digital sound in games? I selected it on the xbox dashboard but my system is not autodetecting the dolby digital sound. So for now I have been turning on Dolby Pro Logic sound manually on my HTS. Is the reciever supposed to autodetect the sound or are you supposed to manually turn it on? My reciever has all of the required elements to play 5.1 and everything but so far it just is not detecting it.

Which games actually have 5.1 anyhow? I know Morrowind does becuase it has the symbol on the box. Halo, Amped, Fever, Mirra and Gotham have the Dolby Digital symbol but no 5.1 symbol.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Well, I have mine setup with the Optical cable going into my receiver, then it automatically kicks over to Dolby Digital, if the game is enhanced with it.

One person that you would want to ask about this is LynxFX, he is by far the most educated one with home theater on this site.

Yeah I have the audio cables from the xbox plugged into my reciever. It autodetects the sound from dvds. That may be becuase I have a built in 5 disc dvd player though. Until LynxFX can help me or some other HTS savvy person comes along I guess I will just have to wait.

Thanks for the input Casper!
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

THE REAL BOSS

Default Re: Xbox Dolby Digital 5.1

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    Ok, so yesterday (sunday, sept 29th) I went to futureshop and bought my new Home Theater system! Hooray! I got a Home Theater in a box. I got a Panasonic SCHT75. To me it sounds just as good if not better than my uncles set up that cost him a couple grand. He has all seperate components that are supposed to be awesome. It is awesome so far and I love it. I have a question though. How do you set up Dolby Digital sound in games? I selected it on the xbox dashboard but my system is not autodetecting the dolby digital sound. So for now I have been turning on Dolby Pro Logic sound manually on my HTS. Is the reciever supposed to autodetect the sound or are you supposed to manually turn it on? My reciever has all of the required elements to play 5.1 and everything but so far it just is not detecting it.

Which games actually have 5.1 anyhow? I know Morrowind does becuase it has the symbol on the box. Halo, Amped, Fever, Mirra and Gotham have the Dolby Digital symbol but no 5.1 symbol.

Did you go into your xbox and setup it up for dolby digital instead of dolby surrond which it's set at by default?
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

Default Re: Re: Xbox Dolby Digital 5.1

Originally posted by TheMentorsXbox

Did you go into your xbox and setup it up for dolby digital instead of dolby surrond which it's set at by default?
    Psst.....

How do you set up Dolby Digital sound in games? I selected it on the xbox dashboard but my system is not autodetecting the dolby digital sound.

THE REAL BOSS

Default Re: Re: Re: Xbox Dolby Digital 5.1

Originally posted by casper

Psst.....

Your on my bad side today

Thanks for reading something i didn't
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

Yeesh, after spending 720$ I have to go spend another 50$ for optical cables? This is getting expensive. Ah well, I am sure it is worth it.

Oh, oops. I was double checking everything and found out it is only set on dolby surround. So how do I change that from Dolby Surround to Dolby Digital?

Sorry for being a dumbass.

Oh, oops. I was double checking everything and found out it is only set on dolby surround. So how do I change that from Dolby Surround to Dolby Digital?

Sorry for being a dumbass.
    Ummm...on your XBox or your stereo? If it's on the Box, then you should just hit the A button and be able to change it there. If it's on your stereo, you'll have to change through your Audio Config.

On the xbox dashboard under audio I only have the options, Mono, Stereo and Dolby Surround. I clicked Dolby Surround and have tried everybutton on the controller to turn it to Dolby Digital but I do no think you can. My reciever automatically goes onto Dolby Digital when it detects it.

Step 1: Take game out of XBOX tray

Step 2: From XBOX setup screen go to settings--->sound.

Step 3: Once in the sound set-up, if Dolby Surround is on, click on it, select "no". Go TO Step 4:

Step 4: Press "b" to back up to original sound settings. Click on Digital Dolby, select "yes".

Step 5: Press "b" as many times as needed to back out to main screen. Hook up Optical cable from your "advanced" or "High Definition" a/v pack, send it to your optical in on your receiver. Pop in game, enjoy.
    ****HONDA ROCKS****

Ok, do you have an "Advanced" or "HIgh Definition" A/V pack? If not, you will not have digital sound capability. This is most likely your problem. Once you have either of the above, the option for Dolby Digital will magically appear in your sound---settings dashboard. Sorry, sound like your using the standard cable. No sweat though, I can sell you mine, the advanced that is.

Advanced A/V pack: S-video, Digital Dolby

High Definition A/V pack: Component Video, High Definition, Digital Dolby
    ****HONDA ROCKS****

The Frew-its of the Devil

Talking

I don't know how much has been covered, but I'll cover as much as possible. In order to run 5.1 descreet you have to have an Optical cable (does not cost 50bucks... only 24 at radio shack for a short cable) and your Xbox has to be set for Dolby Digital (go on your dashboard to settings then to audio, and it says DOLBY DIGITAL On or Off, just choose on) once you have that set up, EVERY SINGLE Xbox GAME OUT THERE WILL USE IT. It will say on your Reciever's display "Dolby Digital" instead of Surround. YOU HAVE TO HAVE OPTICAL IN ORDER TO USE DD5.1 on XBOX. It is a must!
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

You see that is just the thing. All that happens when I press a on Dolby Surround is it selects it and exits to the previous screen. There is no choosing yes or no. By this it makes me think dolby digital is only enabled by buying the 70$ canadian optical cables. That is kinda cheap IMO, unless this is impossible you should be able to use DD with regular sound cables. Just another ploy to get you to buy a new microsoft product I guess.

Guess I was right. I would buy your cable netranger6 but you live in Texas and I live in Canada and I do not like sending money across 2 countries.

I'd let it go cheap. I have all the A/V packs due to an upgrade in televisons. The Advanced one is a MS product, but the High Def. is Monsters Cables. That's cool though, won't cost you but $15 anyway.
    ****HONDA ROCKS****

15$ USD is 21$ canadian. Is that what you were offering me as a price for your pack or just the regular price of one? If that is the regular price that is pretty sweet. I think I will go buy it now.

I paid $20 for it 8 months ago, off the .net of course. They can't be that much more for you up north.
    ****HONDA ROCKS****

Here ya' go, $19.99
    Advanced A/V cables
    ****HONDA ROCKS****

You see that is just the thing. All that happens when I press a on Dolby Surround is it selects it and exits to the previous screen. There is no choosing yes or no. By this it makes me think dolby digital is only enabled by buying the 70$ canadian optical cables. That is kinda cheap IMO, unless this is impossible you should be able to use DD with regular sound cables. Just another ploy to get you to buy a new microsoft product I guess.
    You need a Optical cable for DD!!

Cost is $20 for a 6feet one or if a 3feet will do it's $15!!
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1581

Hidden Content XBOX RULES!

Thread Information