Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rca "xbox" Tv.........

Thumbs up Rca "xbox" Tv.........

I just had a birthday and told my wife i wanted a new tv for the basement, we had a fading tube, banged up, left over from way back when. I play my XBOX on our big screen, but usually have to wait till later when everyones in bed, so i figured it would be nice to be able toplay whenever and still go to the big screen when i wanted to, so i left the connections on the 50" and we went out for a new TV.

I really wanted a flat screen but they are a little pricy, and again, i mostlly play on the big screen. So there it was, the XBOX compatible RCA, we were looking for a 27" and they had one, looked nice, the picture and features were adiquate, so i figured what the hell, let's give it a shot, and bouth the V-Port conection for the XBOX.

I am happy to report that for $250 i am happily surprised with this set. Super crisp picture, great remote that you can program all you AV stuff to, HDTV ready, S-Video and Component, and the XBOX looks great on it. Great color, shadows, etc...

Now i know there are much better TV's out there, but for the price i think it's a great buy.

Just thought some of you may have wanted to know.

cool,for 250 maybe i'll go and buy one!
    does it come any bigger or is 27' it?

HDTV????? for 250? OMG can u plz tell me where i can find this tv???? hahahah im going crazy hahahahahahahahahahahahha

My mom bought one of these T.V.s for her bedroom, but I have not tried it yet because I don't have the money to buy the VPORT. I will probally get it now since you said how great the picture is. By the way this T.V. has componet video too for your other game systems. It is a really great T.V. for the price. I wish my dad would let me play XBOX on his 60 inch HDTV projection T.V. , he still thinks the XBOX will cause burn in though
    "And when he gets to Heaven
    To Saint Peter he will tell:
    One more soldier reporting, Sir --
    I've served my time in Hell."

Nice man. You wanted a flat screen? Too bad you don't have one bro! Personally, I will take a Sony TV over ANY TV BRAND. That is why I play on a 27' Sony Flat Screen Trinitron Wega

I got my XBOX In Component Video and my Gamecube in S-Video... I paid 550$ for this. It better have better picture than yours... LOL for the $ i paid. I bet it has a slight advantage but nothin big. HEHE

Yep... Sony and JVC over any other brand. I'm sorry, but all the other tvs are just plastic.

Glad you like your new tv man. Definately a great price you got there. Just so no one gets confused though, it isn't HDTV ready or capable of any HD resolutions or 480p for that matter. If it was, Holy Moly I would pick one up for every room.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Renegade of funk

I have the 36 in model from RCA and I love it. I'd recommend it to anyone. I was watching the news here in Houston and there was a segment about large screen TV's. This consumer group (I forgot who) rated the RCA Xbox 36 in, the best 36 inch TV you can get for the money. I paid 749 for mine at Best Buy. It was based on performance, and quality. The funny thing is that a Xbox Advanced Hi-Def Component video kit is much cheaper than the Vport cable and it does the same thing. So I forewent the Vport and stuck with the Component set up. There is a matching RCA Suround Sound Kit that matches the TV, it comes with the reciever and all the speakers. I think it's 300 watts. Sure that's not as high as a Bose system, but, I live in an apartment and I field tested the unit at Target and it gets plenty loud. At $199 I guess I can't go wrong. After that, I'll go to Ikea and pick up some stands for the speakers.

Reclaimer,

That $199 RCA surround system is probably just as good as a $1500 Bose surround system. You made the right choice, even if it was the budget that forced it.

Buy
    Other
    Sound
    Equipment

Bose: Better sound through advertising

No Highs, No Lows, Buy Bose

The list goes on.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Renegade of funk

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    Reclaimer,

That $199 RCA surround system is probably just as good as a $1500 Bose surround system. You made the right choice, even if it was the budget that forced it.

Buy
    Other
    Sound
    Equipment

Bose: Better sound through advertising

No Highs, No Lows, Buy Bose

The list goes on.
    I'm actually glad you agree with me on this, because as sweet as deal is to me, this is my first foray into the suround sound world and I was a little apprehensive. But let me ask you this. The receiver has S-Vid connections. I don't want to give up my component connection, I was wondering, my Hi-def kit as optical outputs and the reciever supports optical, so what if I connect the Xbox to the reciever using the optical cable (12 dollars for he cables at Target) and run a S-Vid to the reciever from the TV for surround sound during normal TV viewing. Am I insane?

No, not insane. That should work fine. It won't be true surround since your tv just outputs stereo but the receiver should be able to decode that into pro logic and get you some surround action.

BTW, I got that same $12 optical cable from Target by the way...actually 3 of them.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Renegade of funk

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the help Lynxfx

I just got a Sony 27" Trinitron almost flat for my mom for xmas , but Ive been using it to play on...Measly $500 after tax with staff discount Canadian Very nice.....but nothing like the HDTV/Plasmas we got ;(
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Sony Tv? ... Subpar. I say Panasonic is one of the best. Definetly better than Sony. They overcharge for thier subpar products. Overhyped, just like the PS2. My 27" Sears brand TV looks better than pretty much every Sony TV I have ever seen. Minus the plasma and other HDTV ones.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I agree, Panasonic has really started to make some great stuff lately. I particularly like their 36" directview HDTV's over Sony's Wega's. Only problem they have is that their 4x3 rear projection HDTV's don't do anamorphic squeeze for 480p images more importantly 98% of dvd's. I think they fixed that with the new models but not sure. This is/was a big problem.

I like their chasis designs more than most other companies as well, with the exception of Pioneer Elite series. Those just look sharp.

Sony does make some very nice tv's as well and I must give credit where due.
    Last edited by LynxFX-XBA; 11-21-2002 at 01:14 PM.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Indeed! Yeah, you kind of need animorphic these days. In my opinion everything should be widescreen, it just doesn't make sense to look at a box shaped image. It is not how we see things in real life, so why should we see images on our tvs like that? I guess it is still just a matter of price more than anything.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I think price is definately the main factor.

Using panasonic as an example again:

Their 4x3 and 16x9 RPTV's use the exact same gun. The only difference is that the 16x9 is locked into that aspect ratio even though it came right out of the 4x3 tv. So 4x3 must be cheaper to make.

Now what I would like to see are tv's that are 2.35:1 ratio.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Don't they already have that? I could swear I saw one in a flyer the other day.

What? A 2.35:1 ratio tv? I don't think any of the sorts exists...yet. I do know of people that setup their front projection systems that way. Have a constant height and a max width of 2.35. Then they just mask the sides for content that is 1.85:1(16x9) or 4x3.

This is an idea of what a 2.35:1 tv could look like.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Hmm, well I shall investigate this further. Becuase isn't that the closest you can get to what the human eye ratio is? That indeed would be sweet. Now I could swear I saw a tv with that ratio. However it may have just been a ratio on a dvd. I will check again.

Thread Information