Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how loud is the fan on your xbox?

Default how loud is the fan on your xbox?

Just got this baby yesterday and can't help noticing that the fan seems awfully loud? I have a PS2, Dreamcast and GC as welll and so far the XBOX is the loudest of the bunch? I rrealize that it has a HD in it, and this requires cooling - but sheesh shut-up!

I just wanted to get any feedback as to other users boxes - are the fans loud? So far the games play fine (only tested the two that came with it) and is this even something I should be concerned with?

Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: how loud is the fan on your xbox?

Originally posted by dzadzi
    Just got this baby yesterday and can't help noticing that the fan seems awfully loud? I have a PS2, Dreamcast and GC as welll and so far the XBOX is the loudest of the bunch? I rrealize that it has a HD in it, and this requires cooling - but sheesh shut-up!

I just wanted to get any feedback as to other users boxes - are the fans loud? So far the games play fine (only tested the two that came with it) and is this even something I should be concerned with?

Many thanks in advance.
    It really depends. The Playstation 2 is my loudest system when I play a CD game. When I play a DVD game, it's quiet. My Gamecube fan is about the same as my Xbox. The Dreamcast is very loud.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Compared to all of the systems I have owned I think the xbox has a really quiet fan. Dreamcast had a loud fan/cd-drive. Playstation 2 has a horribly loud fan.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Thanks for the reponse. I do know what you mean about noises that the cd/dvd drive itself generates. But I was specifically talking about the fan on the system, without a disc in the tray.

Just after turning the system on I noticed a rather loud humming. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get a lemon.

Official Avs Fan of XBA kornavs19's Avatar

Mine was really loud when i first got it...But now its quiet...Its only considerably loud when i first turn it on, but by the time it gets to the desktop its quiet..
    The only rescent problem i had with my x-box was that I was playing NHL2K3 and i had played 3 or 4 games and in the middle of one of the games it just stopped and this loud noise was made until i turned it off...I dont know y it did that but its been fine ever since...

Before I traded in my PS2 for the XBOX i had heard that it was very loud but after I got it and turned it on i think the PS2 was louder. Not sure if all the loud stuff i was reading about was making me think it was going to be terrible loud and I was expecting alot more noise so it now dont seem as loud or it is quiet but in my opinion i dont find loud at all.

Renegade of funk

The fan on mine is not that loud. It's the sound of the CD-DVD drive as it engages that's loud. But the funny thing I've noticed is that my American S-type controller is noisy when the vibration gets heavy. But my Japanese S-type is silent.

I don't find it that loud at all. It's hard to tell if yours is defective or you just have to get used to the (normal) sound of it. If you have a friend that has one then you can compare. I was going to say check out an Xbox on display at the mall but malls are noisy so that wouldn't work.

P.S. Welcome to Xbox Addict. I have found this to be the best Xbox site on the net. It keeps me coming back.

myne is very quiet actually .... hope its working hehe .,..
    Scared ? You will be.

Mine whines loud enough that if I mute the TV it is annoying.

My Xbox is pretty silent. But my PS2...now THAT'S a loud console. Sheeesh.

lol yea, the ps2 is so loud.

I bought my xbox on launch, and it's whisper silent. I seriously can't even hear the fan.

I have a DC and if you say that your XBOX is louder than your DC, then you MUST have a defective XBOX. (the DC is so ****in loud)

-borka105
    thanks to thrAsher-XBA for the sweet sig

mine is louder than my friends gamecube, but quieter than my pc's fan.. It's quieter than my friends xbox i think, but it doesnt really bother me.

Banned

Mine is pretty quite it is my computer that has a loud fan

My Xbox is very quiet but if the Hummin sound coming from the fan is really loud you should exchange it before the returning time from your reciept expires. That if you mind the noice, if not you will get use to it if you had a dreamcast or PS2
    Hidden Content
    Xbox Rules!!!

Default Not the fan, but oh well

I've noticed that when I'm playing MechAssault, and I start to charge up the PPC, the motors in my controller make a buzzing noise. This is probably because the motors are turning really slow at the beginning, but then they speed up. Has anyone looked inside the controller? It's pretty cool....

Seeing as it is a federal offense to do so, no I have not looked inside the controller.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Xbox fan is kinda loud. Loading the CD on PS2 is very loud. They kinda cancel themselves out.

Depends upon what game I am playing as to how loud my fan is. When I play Splinter Cell, it gets loud, but when I play Ghost Recon, it is quiet as a kitten.... a mute kitten.
    Green = Good
    Red = Sucks
    I own all of the following games
    Halo, Crimson Sea, MechAssault, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Morrowind, Blinx, Dead or Alive 3, NFL Fever 2002, NFL Fever 2003, Rallisport Challenge, Jet Set Radio Future, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Whacked!, Splinter Cell, Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO, Phantasy Star Online (preorder)
    NightCaster, Blood Wake, Fuzion Frenzy, Hitman 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Dave Mirra BMX 2, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Totaled!
    Wish List: (Until Summer)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive: XTreme Beach Volleyball, Sea Dogs 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Midtown Madness 3, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero

Hidden Content Former Xbox Live Beta Tester.

Thread Information