Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do u need DD 5.1 for surround sound?

Default Do u need DD 5.1 for surround sound?

j/W do u have to have a DD 5.1 reciever to get surround sound from left 2 right , like lets say in delta storm when u blow sumthin up on ur right, would i need special speakers or reciver?

Thanx

Frostberg

If you just want simple left to right, sure thats how it is. There are seperate channels for left and right sounds. On your TV, if it has 2 speakers...sure it will be from left to right, however because the speakers are so close, and of pretty low quality, it wont be really that noticeable unless you sit realy close to the tv. DD 5.1 can only be achived with just that, a 5.1 setup with a Dolby Digital receiver and it will be VERY noticeable and be a very nice experience. I love when things do that, like on Max Payne (for PC). People might not think that the extra speakers help, but oh my, they do!

So all ur sayin i need is a dolby digital 5.1 reciever and regular speakers (5 + a sub i assume)? My dad is getting a surround sound system for christmas but i have no clue what kind it is, guess i'll wait and find out. How much r 5.1 receivers anyway? like the cheapest one u can get lol .

thanx

Frostberg

as long as he receiver has optical input it will work with dolby digital when you get the advanced av pack or the monster cable gamelink series (get these if possible) with he optical sound adapter. You can get receivers cheap, but it would be wise to invest money into these things along with your speakers.

WHATS A OPTICAL INPUT? like a fiber optic input ?? lol i'm audio ld

i have no clue what recivers like that cost , can u give me a in the ballpark range? like under 100 maybey?

Frostberg

umm its an optical input on your receiver...Its just a better quality of sound...I think you should be looking to spend at least $180 at lowest quality with optical inputs

Everyone here is talking about Dolby Digital 5.1. Technically, he asked about surround sound, which can be just about anything. Even the standard stereo jacks can produce Dolby Pro Logic surround with the right equipment. Sure, DD5.1 is far superior but I just wanted to make sure his question is being answered completely.

Frostberg

I pretty much answered that in my 1st post, and if you have an Xbox, you want to stay away from regular TV speakrs

I have dolby digital surround sound... but i don't know if it's 5.1... what does 5.1 mean anyway... i have 2 front left and right speakers... 2 back right and left speakers... i center speaker and a sub... what would that be? and it's RCA.

Frostberg

5.1 is 5 speakers and a sub. You only have 4.1. Also I dont know what you mean by RCA. If you have the audio out on your TV which is the white and red RCA plugs going to your receiver, it isint dolby digital. You can only use optical or coax for digital.

I have 5 speakers and a sub... i said 2 front speakers... 2 back speakers... that makes 4... plus my center channel speaker which makes 5 and a sub which would make 5.1. lol i meant my brand of my home theater system is RCA.

Frostberg

ok, is it optical to your Xbox then?

I'm getting my box at christmas... i'm not quite sure what you mean by optical.

Frostberg

does your receiver have an optical input connection?

I'm not sure... theres S-Video and the place where the red yellow and red wires go into... would it maybe be on the back of the reciever?

Frostberg

yep, most likely on the top of the receiver

I don't know if i have it or not... but whats it all do anyway?

Frostberg

Well if you dont either use digital coax or optical connectors you would be wasting your 5.1 setup. It isint digital without a digital connector. Although Dolby Pro Logic is nice, it only really is right and left, and kind of simulated dolby digital. It doesnt have 5 seperate channels, it kind of creates the rear and center channels as just extra speakers. But with the seperate channels of dolby digital 5.1, you can actually hear something from all sides of you. Its especially nice in DVDs because you can hear things like a hellicopter doing a circle around you and stuff.

Ya when i watch VHS it uses all speakers and you can here planes fly behind you then fly to the front speakers... so it must be dolby digital.

and also it says Dolby Digital on my reciever.

Here in Utopia harmful things such as cars and Barny are no more. All who are worthy recive an Xbox, all others must buy any of the other unworthy systems such as PS9!

OK, you got me confused...
    i got 2 front, 2 back, and a middle speaker. They all connect to a thing that plays CD's, cassets, and radio. In the back there are 2 input plugs for L/R...
    What do I have??? What setting ought I put the Xbox on???
    Hidden Content
    think about it...
    an
    Xtremely Big Outrageous Xtravagant Worior
    will kill a
    Pathetic Slimeball... even when there are 2 of them....
    not to mention obliterate a
    Groaning, Aching, Miserable Elf, a Completely Unworthy Being, Everyday
    Hidden Content

Thread Information