Thread: Different Xbox drives...(samsung, thompson, phillips...etc)

You need a new brain! El Latino Mafioso's Avatar

Default Different Xbox drives...(samsung, thompson, phillips...etc)

Hey wazap, I got a new xbox and I think it has the samsung drive(best), cuz it even reads cdrs, but do guys know where I can get or have a picture of all the different drives. The thompson drive is said to be giving Dirty Disc errors so, I just wanna know exactly which drive I have./l8ter

The ultimate sniper! BionicSniper's Avatar

ya i just got a new xbox too (saturday the 30th) and i too want to know what drive i have but i don't want to open it.
    Watch out because my 50 cal sniper round is followed by flaming ninjas!

There used to be a site that showed the differences as you could tell just by looking at the style of the tray. A google seach would probably find it.

As for Thompson having DDE, I don't think so. I have an xbox from launch and it has the thompson drive and I have never gotten a DDE. Doesn't read cd-rs though which is a pain.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
    As for Thompson having DDE, I don't think so. I have an xbox from launch and it has the thompson drive and I have never gotten a DDE. Doesn't read cd-rs though which is a pain.
    I've had a few DDE's with the launch drive.

The difference that I notice is that the original's (Thompson) was a tad bigger, meaing the disks didn't fit in as snug as the newer drives do when placing the disks in the tray. That was the only one that I have noticed, but I know there are other difference, maybe the way that the laser is setup.

If you have a Phillips or a Samsung drive in your XBox then you will probably be able to play CD-R's (aren't you the lucky ones!) If you want to know if you have a Philips DVD-Drive in your XBox then have a look at the hole in the DVD-Drive drawer tray: the Philips drive has a bigger opening in the middle of the tray, with the opening cut-out in the shape of an inverted light bulb. The Thomson drive has an opening in the middle of the tray in the shape of a long "U". The Samsung drive has 3 holes, one long one in the middle, and 2 circles on the sides.

that paragraph is from another site and i cant post the link as it is not appropriate to post.
    Hidden Content

While Your Guns Are Raisin'-Mine Is Blazin'(RIP DZNUTZ)

Thread Information