Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomson Drive In Xbox!!! TRUE!

XBOX Car Game Addict! JB20_2003's Avatar

Default Thomson Drive In Xbox!!! TRUE!

I don't know how true the rumor of the Thomson drive is but for mine it came true I had my Xbox a year and a month and my Drive now reads nothing. Can't play a game, audio disk, nothing and ONE month after the damn warranty is over. It just happened out of nowhere to I had no problems with it ever till now. I just got 3 new games for Xmas to, what a waste. I called the Xbox 1-800-4MY-XBOX number and they just say I need to send it in and it will probably cost me for a new drive it better be a damn Samsung. And The Philips, Thomson and Samsung drives are not all there is, their is another drive but the guy on the phone couldn't remember the brand. ANYONE WITH A THOMSON DRIVE get the extended warranty or return it. The Thomson drive is the one with the DVD TRAY that has a U cut out of it. Its the only drive for Xbox like it. Anyway I'm off to not play xbox, what a drag after Xmas.
    - Justin

Games Owned: Sega GT 2002, JSRF, Project Gotham Racing, 007 Agent Under Fire, Rallisport Challenge, Wreckless, NFS Hot Pursuit 2, Enter The Matrix, GTA Double Pack

i dont really know what drive i have... but mine is the one of the first gen. xboxes... so anybody know what kind of drive plz tell me... or tell me how to find out...

anyways i checked my dvd tray , i pressed open and i do see a u cut shaped .... but mine still works fine.............................

my thompson drive is perfect

my brother just got an xbox for christmas and got a thompson drive!!! WTF?!?!??

XBOX Car Game Addict! JB20_2003's Avatar

Just a recap I said my xbox had no problems at all ever. It just out of nowhere stopped playing anything. So for everyone posting you have a Thomson drive and its perfect or its working fine, what is your point? So was mine.
    - Justin

Games Owned: Sega GT 2002, JSRF, Project Gotham Racing, 007 Agent Under Fire, Rallisport Challenge, Wreckless, NFS Hot Pursuit 2, Enter The Matrix, GTA Double Pack

XBA's Official Doctor Snake Eyez's Avatar

My Xbox has been giving me some problems lately. Well I've finally had it and I'm getting a new Xbox tomorrow. I bought the 2 year replacement plan from Best Buy. I have a Thomson in my box, but I'll make sure I get a Samsung drive with my new console. I'll search through the stacks till I find the right Xbox.

To see which drive you have go here.
    http://www.home.no/emus/tutorial/phi...on_samsung.jpg
    A democracy will continue to exist up until the time voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury

RIP DZ

i got mine at launch and i havent had any problems and my warenty went out a long time ago and it never stoped working or slowly is going out. so i am just saying not EVERY thompson drive is bad just a majority of them are.

thanks snake eyez for the link...

dang i have a thompson drive.... hope mine doesnt go wrong!! crap and i have no warranty on it...... well of course.. i bought it quite a long time ago... dang that means i have to buy another one...

Originally posted by xbox genius
    thanks snake eyez for the link...

dang i have a thompson drive.... hope mine doesnt go wrong!! crap and i have no warranty on it...... well of course.. i bought it quite a long time ago... dang that means i have to buy another one...
    No problem. Well now that you know which drive you have, just start treating it better than you normally would.
    A democracy will continue to exist up until the time voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury

RIP DZ

Originally posted by Snake Eyez
    I bought the 2 year replacement plan from Best Buy. I have a Thomson in my box, but I'll make sure I get a Samsung drive with my new console. I'll search through the stacks till I find the right Xbox.

To see which drive you have go here.
    1st: How much was that 2 Year Replacement warranty?

2nd: How can you tell the DVD drives just by looking at the box?

I'm just asking, so when I get my XBOX, I'll make sure I get the correct one...thanks Snake.

bought mine on feb 6 2002 and never bought a warranty since then it has given me three ddes and nothing else.
    Hidden Content

While Your Guns Are Raisin'-Mine Is Blazin'(RIP DZNUTZ)

Originally posted by Brimstone D.

1st: How much was that 2 Year Replacement warranty?

2nd: How can you tell the DVD drives just by looking at the box?

I'm just asking, so when I get my XBOX, I'll make sure I get the correct one...thanks Snake.
    1. $25

2. You can try your mental powers if you like or you can look on this site and match the manufacture dates.
    http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/versionsdb.html

RIP DZ

Originally posted by JB20_2003
    Just a recap I said my xbox had no problems at all ever. It just out of nowhere stopped playing anything. So for everyone posting you have a Thomson drive and its perfect or its working fine, what is your point? So was mine.
    Because not every single Thompson drive has had issues. You're making it sound like MS has timers in some of them so that a month after the warranty is up, the drive goes bad.....hmmm, that does sound pretty convenient

I think I have a Thomson drive, but I can't quite tell the difference between the Phillips and Thomson drives, so I don't know for sure. I also can't check the manufacture date because I can't find when mine was manufactured.

Anways, I bought it about a year ago, and I've had only had three dirty disc errors(Other than ones caused by an actual scratched or screwed up disc) and only one occurrence of the Xbox reading the game as a DVD.

My Xbox has been used quite a bit too. Hell, Soul Calibur II by itself has over 40 hours of play time.

ino you've already been thanked once by someone else, but thanks for the link snake eyez...when i got my new box for xmas, i was worried cause i didn't know what drive i had and was hoping it wasn't a thomson because that's what everyone always complains about...good to know i have a Samsung WOO

skorp

Shocked

Oh Damn! I have one of those Thomson drives... I bought my system last year in November.

So far I havent had a problem since... I hope I dont soon!

[knocks on wood]

All this time I thought I had a Samsung... Geez!

Well, my neice bought an XBOX and ended up with a Samsung drive. She ended up getting an XBOX when they had the Sega GT/JSRF bundle.

My friend got one for XMAS (Star Wars/Tetris bundle), and it had a Samsung.

Naturally, mine is also a Samsung. My bro and one friend have Thomsons but none have problems. Whew.

Originally posted by skorp
    Oh Damn! I have one of those Thomson drives... I bought my system last year in November.

So far I havent had a problem since... I hope I dont soon!

[knocks on wood]

All this time I thought I had a Samsung... Geez!
    That's when I bought my system, Nov 2002. Mine has been giving me little problems for about 4 months. Now, they just started to get worse. But my class and I bought a launch Xbox and that thing has had zero problems. Like Casper said, not all of them become a problem.

RIP DZ

Originally posted by Casper-XBA

Because not every single Thompson drive has had issues. You're making it sound like MS has timers in some of them so that a month after the warranty is up, the drive goes bad.....hmmm, that does sound pretty convenient
    I've got my suspicions about that one. Mine finally crapped out on me w/ something like a week left on my 2 year. Some timer setting guy is gonna lose his job for that one.
    RIP Dave

thank u so much snake....geez im happy i got a samsung...hopefully my xbox will last till xbox2 xomes out and maybe even longer...pce

Thread Information