NEWS - Monday, August 16, 2004


NPD Group Study For Online Gamers

The NPD Group today released the results of a study regarding the attitudes and behaviors of online gamers. We’re not talking the ethics of disconnecting your modem after getting stomped in the second quarter of ESPN NFL 2K5, but rather, online gaming habits. The study, which targeted the 13-44-year-old demographic, found that the majority of gamers who play online are doing so with their PC. It turns out that 90 percent of the respondents who play games with a PC/Mac also use one of the three online-capable systems: PC/Mac, PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Ten percent of respondents say they strictly use mobile-based games while leaving the above three systems alone. "The seeds of online gaming were planted when the Internet was made available for commercial use in the early 1990’s, so it’s not surprising to see that PC games have the home-court advantage when it comes to online gaming," said Richard Ow, senior industry analyst, The NPD Group. "On the other hand, the mobile-based gaming market - a market still very much in its infancy - showing a 10 percent user base (among general gamers who also play online) is what really stands out. And with most mobile platforms being online-ready, they’re close to competing with the console systems for the attention of online gamers." An interesting note: close to 60 percent of online gamers’ time is set aside for online gaming, while the remaining 40 percent are dedicated to offline activity. The numbers are reversed for both PlayStation 2 and Xbox, where 40 percent of the time is online and 60 percent is offline. Gender was also discussed. It seems that in the 13-44-year old gaming market, males outnumber the females 53 percent to 47 percent. Those numbers are based on PC/Mac users. If we’re talking PlayStation 2 and Xbox, the numbers get tweaked to 88 percent male and 12 percent female. It turns out that I am a huge time waster. The average amount of time playing games online (all three platforms) is 6.1 hours per week. I sometimes go through 6.1 hours a day! The average offline time averaged out to five hours per week which is about one hour less than the average for online gaming.
Source: http://www.ign.com

Site Statistics

Registered Members: 53,827
Forum Posts: 725,938
Xbox One Titles: 3,954
Xbox 360 Titles: 1,086
Xbox 360 Kinect Titles: 95
Xbox 360 Arcade Titles: 586
Original Xbox Titles: 987
Staff Reviews: 2,235
Member Reviews: 10,339
News Articles: 16,226
Screenshots: 35,825
Xbox 360 Achievements: 45,112
Xbox 360 Faceplates: 2,016
Cheat Codes: 1,706

Latest News





Rugby 22 Gets New Gameplay Trailer

Rugby 22 Gets New Gameplay TrailerThe presence of the Top 14, the Pro D2 and the United Rugby Championship is also confirmed. Fans will find all the clubs of these leagues, with their players and their official jerseys.




See News Archives

Community Forum Activity

2021: XBA is still here
Post by shrew king
12 Replies, 22609 Views

Watch Dogs: Legion
Post by Nato King
0 Replies, 43702 Views

Xbox Series X or S
Post by Nato King
5 Replies, 56736 Views

Spellbreak Grand Magus Pack (3) and Starter Pack (7) Giveaway!
Post by Variation-XBA
0 Replies, 52321 Views

I pay $ 1000! I search the Element 54 Canadian launch Team signaturen Faceplate
Post by Smill
0 Replies, 54708 Views

Xbox one no signal
Post by debrartin
0 Replies, 66682 Views

do you remember?
Post by SnoochyBoochy
3 Replies, 69526 Views

i haz xbox
Post by SnoochyBoochy
0 Replies, 56946 Views

Claiming the first thread of 2020
Post by Kraft
7 Replies, 96592 Views

Important! I pay $ 1000! I search the Sweden launch and the Element 54 Faceplate
Post by Smill
3 Replies, 56391 Views

Squad Up
Post by samslophead
0 Replies, 115242 Views

TERA Skinned Xbox One X Giveaway!
Post by Variation-XBA
0 Replies, 84221 Views

Starfield Release expectations?
Post by DJ tx
4 Replies, 153321 Views

Issue with Xbox live on Xbox home
Post by rcmpayne
0 Replies, 97366 Views

Happy Birthday, Me.
Post by SnoochyBoochy
4 Replies, 123113 Views

© 2000-2022 XboxAddict.com - All rights reserved. All trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
Xbox is a registered trademark of Microsoft. XboxAddict.com is not affiliated with Microsoft.

Made in Canada
Site Design by Cameron Graphics