Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enjoy playing XBOX on a 100" TV for $10 (on ebay, not a scam)

OMG. I bought one too and I don't think its a scam. I'm sure if you tried it on a smaller TV that it would work better. Maybe you were having the same problems as me with a 19". Or maybe you set it up wrong. It works fine on my 19" except the sides are a bit blurry. The middle is perfect, so that is why I am condiering to buy a 13" TV to go with this.

Official Aussie of XBA™ Rochey69r's Avatar

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    Don't waste your money let alone time. It is a fresnel lens that you can purchase at any Barnes & Nobles or office supply store. It is a full page magnifier.

The instructions are free online if you do want to make it. Can't remember the link at the moment.

Overall the outcome sucks. It is a fun novelty at best. Besides your tv must be turned upside down, and left is right and right is left. Makes playing games hard unless you complicate the setup by using mirrors to reverse the image. Also with your tv upside down you can get some color bleeding and even ruin your tv where it needs to get degaussed.

Don't give those punks on Ebay your money though.

good on ya Lynx

but i finally got my prodjector up and running and all it could do was make a tiny screen on the wall about 3 inches by 3inches.

lol what the??

I can only imagine that the guy promoting these things here is the actual SELLER on Ebay.

Face it, televisions were not made to be projectors.

You're going to lose brightness and sharpness from the lens and this will be compounded by projecting it onto a wall. Ignoring the fact that you've now got an upside down, reversed image; you're going to have to play in a dark room to even see it. By the time you make sure you can turn your TV upside down without permanently damaging it and find a way to reverse the image; you're still talking about a dim, blurry picture. If that's what you want, why'd you buy an Xbox?

Save your $10 and put it towards your next game. It'll provide you with MUCH more enjoyment.

you are getting what you pay for that is for sure. If you use a monitor the picture won't be as pixilized. The size of the tv dosn't matter, they all have the same dot pitch.

Originally posted by bryanhls
    you are getting what you pay for that is for sure. If you use a monitor the picture won't be as pixilized. The size of the tv dosn't matter, they all have the same dot pitch.
    Hmmm...why do you say that? I would think you would perceive pixels more with a computer monitor than a television because the picture is so much sharper.

Furthermore, I think the size of the TV is relevant. While it's true that 480P is 480P regardless if your television is 13" or 30". But a 30" picture will not have to be magnified as much to achieve 100" dispersion. It would lose less brightness, too.

I've never attempted this feat so I don't know if my assumptions are correct or not.

To make the image right U just put a mirror in front of it and leaning away at an angle. It's simple, takes like half a minute to position it.

One thing that I don't think anyone has considered is the sheer size of this thing once made. Take a 19" tv for instance. When you build this box to go around the tv it turns the tv into almost 3 feet long! Then when you actually try to project the image and focus it up you will find that the whole setup can only be about 4 feet from the wall for even a 100" screen. So you have this huge box and tv (19"w x 19"h x 36"d) that is centered with the screen, so roughly 4 feet off the ground and only 4 feet away from the wall/screen. That is a huge obtrusion. That is just for a regular home made projector which is useless for playing games because it reverses the image and controls. Now if you add in a mirror to reverse things the box almost doubles in size and you must move the projector even closer to the wall.

Using two lenses is virtually impossible.

Even if you do get everything working right and focused, the entire image is surrounded by a blurry image. This just comes with the lens and no matter how much you focus it will still be blurry either in the center or the edge.

There is only one setup where this has actually worked to a surprisingly high degree. The setup cost around $500. The person took a 2" color LCD screen that was from a portable tv and put it in a high powered slide projector. This gave them a small unit with better light output than a tv and a decent image. They tweaked some other stuff but I forget what it was. They had to do something to cool the unit because the light would actually heat up the LCD screen too much and after 5 minutes it was gone.

I do admit that I made one before I bought a real projector because I was curious and for $4 bucks, what the heck. My tv did start to bleed but I was able to stop it in time with no perminent damage. I won't try it again because it isn't worth ruining the tv.

It is a unique project and heck, if I was back in school I would make one for a science project or something.

Rochey69,

LOL only you would be able to make a 3"x3" screen.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

well with a monitor the pixils are closer together so the picure dosn't look as grainy as a normal tv. I personally think the smaller the tv the better! just because it dosn't take up as much room! I really don't think that the size matters because when you start getting a larger screen it might be brighter but I thing you will have problems capturing the entire image. But then again I have never tried this either, I am just talking out of my ass, hopefully I will have enough time this weekend to give it a try! I am doing my with a pos 13' inch tv! I will let you all know how it turns out!

Thread Information