Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tragic death.

Default A tragic death.

I already posted this at Team X-box, but a buddy of mine told me to post it here as well. So, good, bad, or ugly...here it is! Here's to hoping the guilty take note as to what my satire is trying to say!

4/11/02

-USA Today, Entertainment Section
    The Videogame industry is in mourning today after the death of the videogamer. The gamer reportedly died after spending too much time worrying about competing consoles, market shares, and demographics, instead of actually playing their games. Sources close to the gamer describe say it was a slow death that has spanned since the beginning of the Internet. 36 year-old Susan Kolch, a mother of a gamer in Chicago, says she mourns her son's demise. "He used to be so happy. You know, he'd come home with his friends, they'd pop in whatever was the newest hit. I remember those boys laughing for hours. Now, he comes home, alone, and reads the latest sales figures from anyone who will sell it to him. I even caught him buying a bogus sales report from a homeless man last week becasue he said he had proof that the PS2 has failed in Greenland. It's just horrible." Console manufacturers also share some of the grief, who claim utter shock that the videogamer would rather be a market researcher. Shigeru Miyamoto, a leading developer for the Nintendo states, "I'm very displeased. This is insult to entire way of videogame culture. Games bring happiness, that is why Nintendo hire market analyists to do sales research instead of gamer, becauses sales research does not bring happiness." Bill Gates, who's gaming hat was thrown in the ring last year with the X-Box, was shocked by the gamer's death, saying, "Man, and I thought I was a nerd." The videogamer lived a long and fruitful life, its beginings rooted in arcades scattered across malls throughout the world. Then, in the late 1970's, the gamer saw a revolutionary change in the industry, as the home console offered unlimited play time in the living room. The videogamer was elated. The industry was indestructable...or so it thought. "No one ever thought that the one thing that would kill the gamer would be itself," states Seamus Blackley, head of marketing for the X-Box. "Not the conservative politician. Not technology. It was the gamer's own doing. Incredible." Funeral services will be held next week.
    Original Great One.

Proud member of the Circle of Twelve

ooooooh, I get it! That is supposed to teach me something! J/K. That was kinda cool.

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

i dont' know how to comment on this one...
    first off...some verification to the validity of this story would be nice
    and second..if it is true....not that i scoff at someone passing away....but at the same time...it sounds like that person had some serious issues. what caused the death...stress?!?! that just sounds kinda rico-ckulous if you ask me.

Originally posted by xtopia
    ooooooh, I get it! That is supposed to teach me something! J/K. That was kinda cool.
    What? Me, a teacher? Ewww....
    Nope, just lightly poke at all these worry warts out there who'd rather look at sales figures than play games.

*waits patiently for people to slam this opinion*
    Original Great One.

wtf? how did he die? wtf!

edit - OH I GET IT
    Hidden Content
    Don't take life too serious. You'll never escape it alive anyway.

Originally posted by DZNUTZ
    i dont' know how to comment on this one...
    first off...some verification to the validity of this story would be nice
    and second..if it is true....not that i scoff at someone passing away....but at the same time...it sounds like that person had some serious issues. what caused the death...stress?!?! that just sounds kinda rico-ckulous if you ask me.

*watches as the clue plane flies over DZNUTZ's head* Hee hee, just kidding dude. No, I wasn't saying that it killed a specific GAMER. I said it killed THE VIDEOGAMER in general...as in worrying about all this sales report nonsense is killing the spirit of what this hobby is REALLY all about. Instead, people are dying as videogamers and are reincarnating themselves as market analysts.
    Original Great One.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

hehe...I didn't bother reading it...I am too busy playing Halo hehe

Originally posted by Maximus
    hehe...I didn't bother reading it...I am too busy playing Halo hehe
    Now that's the type of responses I love to hear!!!! Kudos Maximus, you understand loud and clear.
    Original Great One.

Stiffy...NOOOOOOOO! say it isn't so! not "THE GAMER"!!! man, i remember that guy...he was the best ever at Automobili Lamborghini for N64. he could drive that game and never hit a thing...well...nobody ever hit a thing playing that game...but...

NOOOOOOO! dang! since i now have nobody to play bloodwake with , i guess i'll just see how long it's going to take for xbox to outsell all other consoles...at current sales projections, of course

*huck opens Excel (another microsoft product) and tries to port the hidden flight sim to the xbox*
    Hidden Content
    props (not propellers) to thecovenant for the sig

no seriously...i've read some b.s. posts before stiffy.....and when i took notice that you only had 12 post...emmm ya catch my drift? the only reason i wasn't totally mean is 1. cuz i try not to be on theses forums and 2. your sig said your were in the circle of 12.
    which if i recall correctly...thats the halo group huckleberry is in...and he seems to be a strightshooter. ( no pun intended) ok so there was a pun intended....SUE ME

lol, dz

stiffy is a great guy...one of the funniest you'll ever meet (except when he answers my home phone like edith bunker, and it's my sister calling to tell me that my grammie is in the e.r.)

he's very tongue in cheek, although it's been less of a problem since his doctor told him that tongue in cheek was a metaphor, and that even if it was to be taken literally, it wasn't implying ass cheeks!
    Hidden Content

Doh Huckleberry! Enough with you and my ass cheeks! DZ, let me introduce meself. Yup, I'm new around this thread, but not new to XBA. You'll usually find a good number of my posts under Team x-box, my handle being worst.name.ever. So, excuse my number of threads here. I'm a legal, qualified, longtime lover of all that is videogames. And yes, I wear women's panties...just don't tell my wife.
    Original Great One.

U know Stiffy I bet your satire is pretty close to reality for some people. Seriously, there are people with real problems that would have the same life U described in your story.

Craziest Mofo in the XBA Crazy Joe's Avatar

Originally posted by DZNUTZ
    no seriously...i've read some b.s. posts before stiffy.....and when i took notice that you only had 12 post...emmm ya catch my drift? the only reason i wasn't totally mean is 1. cuz i try not to be on theses forums and 2. your sig said your were in the circle of 12.
    which if i recall correctly...thats the halo group huckleberry is in...and he seems to be a strightshooter. ( no pun intended) ok so there was a pun intended....SUE ME
    sounds like someone is upset because they were too dimwitted to get the joke of the thread.

Originally posted by Huckleberry
    *huck opens Excel (another microsoft product) and tries to port the hidden flight sim to the xbox*
    Its not a flight sim, its a cheesy racing car game...kinda like the old spy-hunter actually.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

yea i guess i should start reading all the threads, instead of skimming,,,guessi shouldn't of skipped the first line where he says take note of his satire. guess that'll teach me.

Originally posted by Stiffy

*watches as the clue plane flies over DZNUTZ's head* Hee hee, just kidding dude. No, I wasn't saying that it killed a specific GAMER. I said it killed THE VIDEOGAMER in general...as in worrying about all this sales report nonsense is killing the spirit of what this hobby is REALLY all about. Instead, people are dying as videogamers and are reincarnating themselves as market analysts.
    Dude, i can't stop laughing.......................

Originally posted by Dre

Its not a flight sim, its a cheesy racing car game...kinda like the old spy-hunter actually.
    i've not seen the car racing game, but excel 97 had a flight simulator. it looked sort of like that old tank game where the whole screen was black, but the tanks and objects were in that neon green. you could fly around, and in certain areas you would find the names of the developers.

i heard, but this was never verified, that some fairly large companies got all over microsoft when the flight sim was discovered, because office was already a space hog, and at that point hard drive space was VERY valuable. i heard that they got microsoft to eliminate those sorts of things from office after that. apparently not, if there is a spyhunteresque game in there now!
    Hidden Content

Bill Gates, who's gaming hat was thrown in the ring last year with the X-Box, was shocked by the gamer's death, saying, "Man, and I thought I was a nerd."
    Man that had to be the best part of the story.

On another note the flight sim game in excel 97 does have the the names of all the developers and plus some extra little goodies lying around. Also i heard if you are traveling in the right spot you can see a robot walking around but you have to be moving at top speed or you'll never see it.

I am a regular at microsoft.public.xbox. Thanks to the article I have found the afterlife of "the gamer" mentioned in the article.

I spend more time over here, but the volume of those kinds of posts is definitely more in control here. Of course MPX is unmoderated. Or not moderated or whatever.

Thread Information