Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mod chips soon to arrive - Will it hurt xbox?

Default Mod chips soon to arrive - Will it hurt xbox?

Take a look at this, sounds like mod chips will soon be available for the xbox :

http://www.madgamers.net/news/view.php?id=614

Do you reckon this will hurt Microsoft as it heavily relies on software profits?

Will it increase Hardware sales?

I think the main people who will suffer will be the developers themselves.

well game rentals will go up

I used to post here a lot.

it will "hurt" it as much as how PS2 & PSX "hurt"

Hidden Content
    add, confirm, corrections, PM me

GAME PIRATES & BOOTLEGGERS SUCK AZZZ!!!
    Last edited by DOOM; 05-09-2002 at 09:19 AM.
    Hidden Content ULTRA-VIOLENCE!

I personally will believe it when I see they're available. I think its a load of BS personally...

Plus I wouldn't want to pirate games anyway since I'm a developer and know how hard it is to put together a quality game...
    -Radar

I can't wait to see how many people trash their xbox with the soldering iron while trying to add their mod chip. And it doesn't even look like its going to be a chip, per se. ProjectX is connected to like 29 different random points, what a mess. Anyways, while everyone else is burning their circuit boards with a hot piece of metal rendering their xbox usless, I will be taking me fully liscenced game out of its beautiful green box and playing some awesome games

Do you reckon this will hurt Microsoft as it heavily relies on software profits?
    No

Will it increase Hardware sales?
    Not much.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

DZNUTZ OPINION = SEE WHAT DOOM AND KraftSLU said

i dont' know much about this chit...but couldn't MS find out how they hacked it to make the "chip" and then impliment some new code or thingymagig that all their newer titles have to have encoded on them to counteract the pirating?

Originally posted by DZNUTZ
    DZNUTZ OPINION = SEE WHAT DOOM AND KraftSLU said

i dont' know much about this chit...but couldn't MS find out how they hacked it to make the "chip" and then impliment some new code or thingymagig that all their newer titles have to have encoded on them to counteract the pirating?
    Probably, but it might even be cost prohibitive to MS and it would get cracked again.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Time

I would imagine MS did have some idea this would happen and may have established plans to handle this.
    HDTV widescreen + Xbox + 5.1 Surround = Love!

Portable Mammogramistâ„¢ DrUnKtAnK's Avatar

Question

Originally posted by dougi3000
    it will "hurt" it as much as how PS2 & PSX "hurt"

I have always been curious to see any projected numbers that shows what effect if any has the MODSchips had on Sony? Anyone seen such a thing?
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high">Hidden Content quality="high" pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="180" width="470">

this mod can't be done by the normal joe, and how many people really know anything about computers and how to get the games. They aren't posted on a website, just for anyone to download? I really don't think that this is going to be a big issue. I wouldn't be suprised if ms enabled key codes for there online games, but other then that nothing can really be done, that would be cost effective!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Software piracy, while burning XBox games, will definately hurt the sales of software.

And, hardware sales will increase due to the ability to burn software.

And, DOOM said it best...Game piracy sucks ass. Just buy the games! Can anyone find any moral justification for owning something without paying for it after developers sweat blood and tears in making games for us?

Originally posted by Maximus
    Can anyone find any moral justification for owning something without paying for it after developers sweat blood and tears in making games for us?
    Blood sweat and tears? Holy cow... remind me not to get into video game programming, as I am planning on dealing with is the occasional sore fingers and loss of sleep. Joking aside though, it is a crazy amount of work. These people have the skills, the motivation AND the creativity to make games like this work, they deserve the money they make.

1. I really do think that probably 90% of you on this Forum have atleast 1 piece of pirated software

2. If you really don't have any ( see #1 ) than I bet you have dl'd a mp3 or taped a movie from the television

On a plus note does anyone know if the online games will have CD keys of some sort that will help them be even further protected for piracy. That would good because peeps would have to buy those.

Piracy is a positive if you ask me. It will increase harware sales and with the exception of a few guys most peeps will probably have a balance of both Real games and Pirated ones.

These are my thoughts not yours.........Toonz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dougi3000
    [B]it will "hurt" it as much as how PS2 & PSX "hurt"

[QUOTE][

So there is a mod chip for the PS2? If so, it hasnt hurt PS2 sales, so hopefully the same goes for the xbox.
    Currently playing: Soul Calibur 2, Dino Crisis 3, Splinter Cell

I agree w/ toonz. I am more then positive that just about everyone here has a movie taped, a cd burnt, some mp3's on there computer, and so on and so forth. The people that are like "that is wrong I would never do it" say that because
    1. they don't want to get flamed
    2. they don't know how to get the games or make the mod.
    3. And finally......I do believe some people won't burn games even if they could but the others are just lying ass people that are to insecure to say what they think!

look people, stealing a game is not right, stealing the mp3 is not right! This was an issue when the blank tape came out, everyone thought it was the end of the entertainment business. The problem is that some people have there shlong so far up in their xbox that the thought of jacking a game is unbelieveable, you people need to get a life, here's and idea go out and do something! Xbox is a hobbie, not a lifestyle.

Do you people buy cds even though it is possible to get every one off the net....well I do, I have purchased over 300, do I still burn mp3's well from time 2 time! There is a difference in owning something with honest money, then burning it, you seem to value it more! Now if someone buys an xbox just to pirate all of its games, that is wrong, but if they buy some games and then now and then burn one just to see what it is about....whats wrong with that, the person wouldn't have bought it if burning it wasn't possible, so whats the harm, no one looses anything! It seems that some people in this forum have very closed minds, and honestly feel this is the end of the world......my advise....GROW UP!
    Last edited by Shaggy; 05-09-2002 at 06:09 PM.

I bet all those people in the other thread about what games suck,Either wish they could have burned them or are know looking closely at what they put their money down on......But hey they say a fool is born every minute.
    Games i own.
    Halo
    Amped
    Rallisport challenge
    Abes oddysey(?spelling cranial cramp)
    Blood Omen 2

Money is 2 precious now adays to be flinging out on cow turd games.
    Rent first decide later.

P.s Why cant we just get some normal smiles on this site?

Originally posted by Toonz
    1. I really do think that probably 90% of you on this Forum have atleast 1 piece of pirated software

2. If you really don't have any ( see #1 ) than I bet you have dl'd a mp3 or taped a movie from the television

Piracy is a positive if you ask me. It will increase harware sales and with the exception of a few guys most peeps will probably have a balance of both Real games and Pirated ones.

These are my thoughts not yours.........Toonz
    I'm not to sure about the increase in hardware sales as the XBOX needs software to help counteract the production costs

and sure I have to say I did have some pirate software for my Dreamcast, Phanatasy Star Online was one of them in Japanese, I wanted to see what the game was like as it would had taken months before it came to the UK but as soon as it showed it's face in the UK I went straight out to buy it.

But now with the XBOX I'm not interested with the pirate software as I buy the game I want to buy and not get a cheap burn second-hand version of a game, I want this machine to succeed and continue to bring out the great games that NO other console could ever dare touch
    Last edited by Afro Aura; 05-09-2002 at 09:08 PM.

here's how i'll go about the xbox mod-chip deal.
    if xbox doesn't give us a loyalty rebate when they cut the price. i'm getting a mod chip and getting my money back through piracy of thirty $5.00 dollar xbox copied games.
    plus all the games are to short and not worth $50.00 anyways sooo...

the end.

Thread Information