Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Molyneux next master piece, BC!!!!

Default Peter Molyneux next master piece, BC!!!![**Warning 56K**]

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...867793,00.html

We had a chance to sit down with Peter Molyneux for a look at the upcoming game from Intrepid Games, BC. First announced in October of last year, there has been little information released on the game since. Molyneux mentioned it briefly during our recent Q&A with him, but the game has remained under wraps. While his recent descriptions of a game that involved shepherding a pack of primitives to evolve called to mind an experience along the lines of the god games he's known for, today Molyneux chose to label the game as an arcade adventure.
    The game's premise puts you in the role of a tribe leader. Your goal is to lead your tribe by teaching them the skills they need to survive. Your tribe will face such hazards as ravenous dinosaurs and a vicious rival race of ape men. Living to see another day will require your tribe to work as a unit and use what little brains they have to exploit the natural resources around them and to discover new technology and knowledge.

The premise introduces you to two main challenges--you'll have to find enough humans to have a prosperous tribe, and lead your tribe to a distant valley that's free of predators in order for them to evolve. Molyneux likened the puzzles in the game to those found in Ico, in that they'll all be integrated into the environment in that you'll be given a clear objective that you'll have to creatively reach. The game will offer a hundred unique technologies to discover, a wide array of weapons to pick up, and a simulated food chain. You'll also be challenged by the sheer scope of detail that the game is slated to have. You'll have to worry about ensuring your tribe is fed and protected against your simian rivals, raptors, and tyrannosaurs as well as environmental hazards such as cliffs, and poisonous berries and fruit the tribe will have to learn to distinguish. Not exactly Super Mario Bros., is it?

After setting up the game's quirky premise, Molyneux walked us through a look at the game in action. The demo opened with our virtual alter ego emerging from a cave overlooking a valley. The clarity in the game's textures was insane. The fine detail in the weathered rock and interior of the cave walls was gorgeous. Our prehistoric self was quite fetching as well, featuring such fine detail as the hair on his face and body and self-shading. Yet the eye candy of the cave was nothing compared to the view of the valley once the main character emerged and stood at the edge of a cliff. The virtual world was one of the most "alive" things we've seen in a game yet. Dinosaurs of all various species were seen racing around. Some ran through the grass, both in herds and individually, while the larger herbivores sipped water at the foot of a lake. In the skies, pteradons and birds were flying about, flocking and dipping according to their whims. When the main character roamed the valley floor he disturbed the tall grasses that grew in patches everywhere. Playing voyeur during the character's travels was simply cool. Molyneux proudly pointed out the AI for all of the wildlife in the game was specific to its species. We watched a pack of raptors hanging out by a group of herbivores for a bit--the raptors wandered near them, which spooked the herbivores and sent them racing past the main character.

The demo left the local wildlife behind and took the main character into a small cluster of the tribe going about their business. As the leader wandered through the group, Molyneux pointed out how the main character would direct the tribe. Players will "tag" the available members of the tribe and assign them tasks in order to teach them how to do certain tasks. He presented several examples of how the feature would work. You'll "tag" members of the tribe who will follow you on your way around. If you take them out into the open and throw a spear at an animal, you'll be able to teach them hunting behaviors. If you give them an egg, you'll have to teach them how to break it open.

Eventually they'll attempt to puzzle things out on their own. Molyneux pointed out a group of three tribe members gesturing towards each other and stated they were trying to learn speech. Teaching your tribe communication skills would become an important and useful part of gameplay as it would give you a better idea of how to manage the group based on their feedback. Molyneux then triggered a scripted event where the main character approached two tribe members who were hunting with spears. Just as the leader neared them, a Jurassic Park-quality Tyrannosaurus Rex lunged from offscreen and helped itself to one of the hunting party. The large and impressively detailed Rex was just a baby according to Molyneux, who stated its mother was three times its size.

At the moment, BC does not have a set release date other than a vague Spring 2003 time frame. While the build we saw demoed was roughly 50 percent complete, Molyneux stated that, given the ambitious nature of the gameplay and the high standards everyone involved with it are pushing for, he couldn't give a more definite date. Look for more on the game in the coming months.
    Last edited by JJaX-XBA; 05-24-2002 at 11:39 AM.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

WHAT!?!

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

All i can say is WOW!!!!

This is like a dream come true, Ive loved dinosaurs since i was a little kid.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

RadRider

The game looks stunning. I've been interested in it since about January. Now that I can see it looks as cool as I thought it would, I want it!

wow, those screens are cool. A pretty cool premise, too. I think you can always rely on Molyneux to have new kinds of gameplay.

WOW! This game looks really cool!

Hey the last 3 screen shots don't work!!

Originally posted by Knight
    Hey the last 3 screen shots don't work!!
    Right click and do a show picture. If they still dont work go here

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...00.html?page=2

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Ever since I saw the first screen shot of this game and the fact that Peter Molyneux was making it, I knew this would be bad ass! It's awesome to see some new screenies! Thanks JJaX!!

This looks like Turok on steroids!!!

Originally posted by JJaX

Right click and do a show picture. If they still dont work go here

I did that & it didn't work!!

So go to the link

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by JJaX
    So go to the link
    I did

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I did
    Hmmm...the pictures work for me just fine...

Originally posted by Maximus

Hmmm...the pictures work for me just fine...
    Me too

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

I don't have money for all the good XBox games, I need more money!!

I don't have money for all the good XBox games, I need more money!!
    get a job

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

And I need some money for pc games as well!!
    I'm going to be do some Classes next month(from 6-10 to the end of July)(College) so I'm going to wait to after I'm don with the summer classes to look for a Job!!

Default weigh it out....

all ya gotta do is just weigh out the options...

XBOX...College.........XBOX....College.....XBOX... College....
    XBOX
    hahahahahahaha!!

Thread Information