Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Splinter Cell, Why Gods name in vain so much?

Default Splinter Cell, Why Gods name in vain so much?

I know that alot of people probably don't care when Gods name is used so much with dis-respect. But personally it bothers me alot. All you have to do is look at my other posts and see that I said splinter cell is the best game i ever played it just is offensive to me when Gods name is used so much and dis-respectfully. I'm sure some of you it does not bother but I really don't see a need to even put that stuff in the games. It doesn't make the game sell better if anything some maybe won't buy it because of it. I know a few people actually alot of people it bothers. I already bought the game and love it but personally I believe Gods name should be respected and not used in any other way but in praise and Honor. If it was no big deal to God, He wouldn't of made it one of the 10 commandments. I know there are some who don't believe in God or who don't really care but for those of us that do I wish they wouldn't use His Name like that in games.

I've only played the demo and not the actual game.

The game uses His name in vain . That's a bummer. It bothers me a little, but not as much as my family. Hmm, not so sure about this game.

Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
    What exactly did Sam Fisher or any one else say in the game that made you this mad? maybe i use gods name so much in vain that i don't even hear it anymore?
    your avatar probably bothers him also

http://65.117.84.163:8080/ramgen/exodus/s3051.rm If anyone wants to listen to a teaching about why its so bad to use Gods name like that click the above link, This guy explains it better than I could. Or you can go directly to the web page and near the bottom of page click on Honor His Name tape http://www.searchlightradio.org/teachings/exodus.asp Or for anyone who is just wondering why I posted this thread in the first place
    Last edited by PcPreacher; 11-23-2002 at 03:28 PM.

Did you have to sink so low as to peddle your religion here, thats sad,
    Wadical Dwagons! *quote from random game nerd in an arcade when I was a kid in the 80's*

Funky Monk........I have one word!...............Amen ......... . I agree
    Wadical Dwagons! *quote from random game nerd in an arcade when I was a kid in the 80's*

Your comments make no sense and I doubt by your intelligent post Funky monk that you have any idea what you are talking about. Do yourself and the people around you a favor and stop being a fool.

PcPreacher was trying to express something that bothered him in the games he loved and got crap for it. Pathetic.

Flushing the Ducts evil xbox king's Avatar

Wink God, another one of these god-damned posts! Jesus Christ!

As far as I'm concerned, religion is the worst thing in the world. Hell, 80% of wars these days are because of religion. Sept. 11 wouldn't of happened if we weren't so ****** about our religion. And as far as God's commandment "Don't say my name if you don't have anything good to say about me", God is just a greedy ******* who doesn't want to be treated badly. And why the **** do people get killed and **** if God is supposed to be all loving?
    Poor Delta...I hope she gets better quickly.

First of all it is sad when someone tries to post an opinion and people like funkymonk who hide behind their computer say all kind of dis-respectful things about me. Kinda reminds me of people in cars driving 40 mph down the road yelling at people standing on the street, (thats brave). I figure he is very young but he still should have more respect for people. Secondly I am not trying to push anything, If you read my post again you can see that. God doesn't force anyone to believe in Him he could but He gave us a free will to choose Him or reject Him. If you want to call Him names or say bad things about Him thats on you. Take your chances. I was just saying something in the game that I don't like just like anyone saying they don't like the graphics in a certain game or the controls etc. Everyone has certain things they like or dislike in games and should be able to state them without someone dis-respecting them.

GOD DAMN IT!

Ooops! Did I hurt your feelings?

You need to chill out, my friend. They're just words. They don't hurt anyone.

Now, when people fly a plane into a building just because you're a different religion, then you have a problem.

You guys need to back off. Seriously.

Flushing the Ducts evil xbox king's Avatar

Originally posted by Dr_J
    GOD DAMN IT!

Ooops! Did I hurt your feelings?

You need to chill out, my friend. They're just words. They don't hurt anyone.

Now, when people fly a plane into a building just because you're a different religion, then you have a problem.
    Amen brother.
    Poor Delta...I hope she gets better quickly.

You know what..
    it's kinda funny...

I look at saying "God D***IT" (<-- just being nice here)
    as asking him a favor...

I know when some people say it, it's usually when they get mad at something..

so it's like asking him to damn something for you hehehe

Anyways I've just never really understood why it was bad..
    Maybe I could check out that link , naw probably doesn't explain what I need it to

You guys are being kind of harsh to PcPreacher here. He is just posting his opionion, which he has a perfect right to post. Everyone here is getting all up in arms just because it is religious in nature? You start attacking him and his religion all of a sudden?

Get a life, geeze.

As for your origional post, PcPreacher.

I think that there are several things to consider. For one, I don't think that the creators of the game were meaning to be disrespectful of God, whethere they were or not. I haven't played the game yet (get it tommorow), but I bet in the instances that it was used they were just going for more effect and atmosphere. It wasn't like they set out to clown God on purpose or something.

Second, times have changed somewhat. While it is too bad that this offends some people (and I mean too bad as in it is too bad it has to happen, not too bad these people get offended by it), it is also true that most people don't get really offended by it. If most people did, I'm sure they wouldn't put it in the game.

Anyway, just a few things to consider.

Oh. I wouldn't normally mention this, but I want you to know because of the previous posters. I am an atheist. You see, we don't all go around attacking people for their beliefs
    Ashes and Diamonds
    Foe and Friend
    We are all Equal
    In the End

Shocked

Originally posted by PcPreacher
    First of all it is sad when someone tries to post an opinion and people like funkymonk who hide behind their computer say all kind of dis-respectful things about me. Kinda reminds me of people in cars driving 40 mph down the road yelling at people standing on the street, (thats brave). I figure he is very young but he still should have more respect for people. Secondly I am not trying to push anything, If you read my post again you can see that. God doesn't force anyone to believe in Him he could but He gave us a free will to choose Him or reject Him. If you want to call Him names or say bad things about Him thats on you. Take your chances. I was just saying something in the game that I don't like just like anyone saying they don't like the graphics in a certain game or the controls etc. Everyone has certain things they like or dislike in games and should be able to state them without someone dis-respecting them.
    First I have no other way of seeing you in person nor do I want to, so this is our means of communicating. Second, I’m not as young and naive as you think. And third today’s games are no different than good books or blockbuster movies providing censorship doesn’t get tossed in the bag. if you look back on the sixties television shows, the bedroom had two twin beds for the husband and wife, the word virginal and the other part was non-existing and the belly button was considered devilish and had to be hidden. What I’m saying is, with all the sh it that goes on in the world, that should be taking care of, like the ozone layer, possible nuclear strikes, and over populated countries starving. People are worried about words used in video games that are an every day occurrence. And I’m not targeting you pcpreacher I’m targeting the way you think. And that goes for every mother fu#ker that try to alter my way of reality.
    Last edited by FuNkY mOnK; 11-24-2002 at 07:22 AM.

Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

First I have no other way of seeing you in person nor do I want to, so this is our means of communicating. Second, I’m not as young and naive as you think. And third today’s games are no different than good books or blockbuster movies providing censorship doesn’t get tossed in the bag. if you look back on the sixties television shows, the bedroom had two twin beds for the husband and wife, the word virginal and the other part was non-existing and the belly button was considered devilish and had to be hidden. What I’m saying is, with all the sh it that goes on in the world, that should be taking care of, like the ozone layer, possible nuclear strikes, and over populated countries starving. People are worried about words used in video games that are an every day occurrence. And I’m not targeting you pcpreacher I’m targeting the way you think. And that goes for every mother fu#ker that try to alter my way of reality.
    I don't think that he was trying to alter your way of reality, but instead trying to show why he believes that such language shouldn't be used.

Originally posted by carlbme

I don't think that he was trying to alter your way of reality, but instead trying to show why he believes that such language shouldn't be used.
    Tom Clancy introduces Sam Fisher a splinter cell, now, who would believe his role to intervene terrorism if he would say, gosh golly I’m out of bullets? Or, sorry I have to do something very wrong to you sir even though it isn’t our nature as humans, so here’s the butt of my gun over your head, ouch, sorry that must have hurt. You see what I’m getting at? Unfortunately to have a good recipe there’s no sacrificing the intent. Very simple, If you find certain things offensive walk away.
    Last edited by FuNkY mOnK; 11-24-2002 at 11:45 AM.

Just a little warning...as much as i don't feel this is a place to discuss religion, i understand the question asked by PCpreacher.

So please keep the discussions intelagent and non-judgemental or the thread will be closed.

Your all intelagent human beings, this is a valid discussion, see if you can condust yourselves acordinglly.

Personally PCpreacher, I do understand what you are saying, but regardless of my personal religious beliefs this is a freedom of choice for each individual. If you feel offended or uncomfortable with the games use of language or anything else for that matter, you do have the choice not to purchase it.

This is a great topic, good luck with it members.

Originally posted by Slacker
    Funky Monk........I have one word!...............Amen ......... . I agree
    Sry to say this...but i hav to agree. I never went to church and for some reason, i cant understand why people support this "franchise" which claims to support you. Ive honestly tried to believe, but i dont understand. People give so much money to church and frankly, if there is a god, i doubt he's seen a cent of it.

Thread Information