Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Disk Errors

Default Dirty Disk Errors

Since I got new games for the xbox i've been getting dirty disk errors making me have to open the dvd drive and put it back in for the game to work. It started with NHL 2003 Hitz and now it's happening with Moto GP. I've had Moto GP for 3 days now and i think that i have recieved the DDE 30 times!! My brother has called xbox support 3 times now and everytime they tell him that he'll have to pay $110 to get it fixed. Of course he said no. He told them that they screwed up and that it should be fixed for free. The third time he called he got someone who had some clue of what he was doing, and he wrote up a report on what was happening. At www.xbox.com there is a thread which has like 650 post on people having the same problems. My brother told the guy that he was talking to that they should check their forums. Anyway...I was wondering if anyone here has been getting the same problems (The problems are with the first generation xboxs)?????

I had a few tonight while playing Baldurs gate never happened before, but i have the two year warranty and getting a new one tomorrow.

I use to get them all the time before I got my Xbox repaired a few weeks ago. Now my Xbox works much nicer since they replaced the DVD drive for free.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Banned

I used to only get it a couple of times but scine I got some new games for xbox there has been many more DDE!

Perhaps there is dust on the lens. Use a "Dry" lens cleaner to clean it, one that has brushes, and not liquid....

Happens to me constantly and Xbox told me they would fix it for free. I called last night, I will get the box on the 9th and send it to get it repaired and back to me on the 18th. Everything is free.

Been happening to me alot recently. I got Metal Gear Solid 2 for Christmas, and I can't tell you how many times I've lossed a couple missions because I got a Dirty Disk Error.

What's a good lens cleaner? And what's involved in the cleaning? I'd appreciate any information, thanks.
    Hidden Content
    Sychotic Quote for the Whenever: "Leave it to Americans to think that "no" means "yes," "****ed" means "angry," and "curse word" means something other than a word that's cursed!"

Sounds to me like the early DVD drives weren't overly reliable, and have since changed them.... Or that they play up in certain conditions..

I usually get the equivalent of a Dirty Disc Error when putting in some DVD's, but then I turn it off and back on, and it's all fine..

Then again, I would rather use the stand alone DVD player I have, since it has a better picture quality than the XBOX.....

I've got a launch day Xbox and have only gotten 1 DD due to a severly scratched Halo disc I rented. My Xbox has seen countless hours of game play and DVD play. Guess the DD problem is a bullet, some get hit some don't. I've never used any lens cleaners or disc cleaning kits other than my shirt.

Lightbulb Dust Cover

I'm sure if I asked my wife she would make a dust cover for my Xbox but wouldn't it be a good idea if a company started making professional ones? It would eliminate dust from getting in when the console is not being used?

first thing everyone has to realize, is calling customer support is like a crap shoot. You never know what retard you are going to get to answer your call....and from my experience with dealing with xbox support.....there are way too many clueless people answering the phones.

BUT, having said that, if you are lucky enough, and connect with the right person, they can be very helpful. I think ubisoft (Ghost Recon) issued a statement about dirty disk erros and said i effect that microsoft would fix the problem for free. Now, many people call and are told "$110, please" over and over, but if you keep calling, sooner or later you will get someone who can get you going to the right channels to get your xbox fixed for free.

It's a pain in the butt, but, unless you want to plunk down $199 for a new xbox, this is the road you must travel.

Actually, what I am thinking of doing is trading my xbox in (It's a launch day xbox) and applying whatever they give me for it to a new xbox. I get dirty disk errors, but not to the point where it drives me nuts. But, I would not want it to get any worse!

I've been getting multiple dirty disc errors in MotoGP, Ghost Recon, MGS2:S, as well as MechAssault. It's ridiculous.

Most of the games I get them online and offline. Ghost Recon is virtually unplayable because of the DDEs. So I emailed MS support, I went into chat, and they didn't know anything. So finally I decided to call support.

The guy asked for my serial number and yada yada, he said that it didn't come up as being registered. I told him I registered a while ago, so he said that it might just not be coming up. So he had me register over the phone. Then he said that it was still under warranty (which it's not, but hey, free repair), so he said that that they would repair it for free. I gave him everything they needed to know, and the next day I got a box in the mail to put my Xbox in. I'm packing it up soon and I'll send it out today or tomorrow.

Hopefully they will get it fixed for me.

I would call again if I were you. Tell them that the games are virtually unplayable and you aren't satisfied. But don't be rude, you want to be nice so they fix it for free, lol.

By the way, if you get it to be fixed for free, I would save important things to a memory card just in case. I don't want to risk losing my XBL account and important game saves etc.

Well I see that a bunch of you got it fixed for free, but i guess we haven't got the ONE person who knows what they're doing yet. I said that they are making us pay $110 but they told us that was a discount! and that we didn't have to pay shipping and handling. If you tally those on you might as well just buy a new xbox. ahhhhhhh. We're just sick of calling them and getting the same crap over and over!!!

My wife used to work in a call centre. Companies farm out their work. When they answer at Xbox support that may be one of two or three campaigns they are working on. Sometimes you get someone that doesn't know or care. Sometimes when you ask for the supervisor you don't even get the supervisor just a co-worker who says they are.

Ok, don't quote me on this but today i called eb to see if they had any xbox so i could return mine under the two year warranty, while i'm on the phone he ask whats wrong i say dd error he says that MS as sent out a memo that playing Halo for two hours straight will fix this error. i said gimme a new fcukin xbox young man you play Halo and let me know how it turned out.

would i need to show receipt if i were to need to get mine fixed from ms??
    MAKING A NEW SIG

and do they inspect your system before buying a warranty?? cuz if mine broke i would buy a warranty, then have them fix it
    MAKING A NEW SIG

At this point you have nothing to lose, but i could tell you what i heard some guys do. they buy an xbox from sears or kmart take out the insides and replace it with theirs and bring it back for a full refund. i do not advocate this sh it i don't know why i even brought it up?

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

I've gotten way too many today while playing 4 different games...but I am NOT replacing my Xbox...way too many hours spent on save games that I do not want to lose...can they repair it and keep your saves on there?

Originally posted by EHWfedPres
    I've gotten way too many today while playing 4 different games...but I am NOT replacing my Xbox...way too many hours spent on save games that I do not want to lose...can they repair it and keep your saves on there?
    I had mine repaired a few weeks ago for free and my data saves were intact. I had my friend bring over his memory card to save my games just in case.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Thread Information