Thread: Holy Crap..

Shocked Holy Crap..

http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=1724

OC3 Facial Animation Technology for Xbox
    By James Brightman -- Staff Writer
    Published 10:39 PM CST February 26, 2003

OC3 Entertainment, developers of the Impersonator facial animation system used in the Unreal technology and other game engines, has made a formal agreement with Microsoft to contribute automated lip-synchronization systems to the Xbox development platform. OC3's technology will be implemented in both offline and online Xbox games. Its use in Xbox Live could potentially enhance an already solid communication system by lending it a bit of visual fidelity.

"Communicating with your voice allows you to experience games in a whole new way," said Doug Perkowski, CEO of OC3. "When Xbox Live is combined with animated talking characters, game developers will be able to deliver an unprecedented level of interaction."

In essence, what this technology does is it allows developers to take an audio file containing speech and quickly extrapolate fairly accurate corresponding facial animation data. The current version of the package is available to Xbox developers now. In the near future, OC3 intends to release a solution for realtime communication through animated characters.

It sounds really cool.. but damn! It's amazing.. I mean, I like the Idea, but it's kind of wierd. Seems pretty cool, but kind of stupid, lol.

actaully when u see it u will get surprised to notice how the motu h moves at the exact same time they speak its awesome half life uses this. well at least TFC does.

Sweet. This I can't wait to see in action.

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

does that mean i'll see your characters mouth out "OHH SHIII.."

right before i kill you?

That is a cool little thing, although I don't know how many people are going to stop, and take the time to notice if the character's lips are moving or not. Still cool nonetheless.
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

Originally posted by DZNUTZ
    does that mean i'll see your characters mouth out "OHH SHIII.."

right before i kill you?
    Not of you were playing at the level rude was telling me about earlier

This might be cool for an RPG-type game where you have to talk to people, but right now I don't think there's any point in using it on Xbox Live.

Cool idea though and I'm sure it'll be used well in the future.
    Hidden Content "Stack dead actors, stacked to the rafters
    Line up the b*stards all I want is the truth"

Originally posted by J Dub
    This might be cool for an RPG-type game where you have to talk to people, but right now I don't think there's any point in using it on Xbox Live.

Cool idea though and I'm sure it'll be used well in the future.
    trust me once u see it u gonna want it in everygame that suipposrts voice, when this comes out people are gonna be sayin "that XBL game wouldve been better if it had that voice thing" watch i warn u NOW :O

Official Hitman of XBA Hitman101's Avatar

Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
    actaully when u see it u will get surprised to notice how the motu h moves at the exact same time they speak its awesome half life uses this. well at least TFC does.

Counter Stirke uses it too. I remember this movie that some peps made on the CS map called malita and there lips were moving and evry thing. I think the movie was downloadable at fileplanet or fileshack.
    Hidden Content

THE HITMAN IS BACK !!!! Yet again !!!

Cool. It may not be affect your over all view of a game, but it's the attention to detail that make a great game great. It just adds to the "reality" that developers and gamers alike are really looking forward to in a game. Details.

This sounds like a step into the new world . I never thought I would see that stuff. Come to think of it, I never thought of it even. I can't wait to see it now that I heard about it!

Lol, this could make for some potentially funny situations. Imagine there is a washer or dryer in the background.

**Imagines seeing sombodys mouth screeching like an alien**

Or maybe those people who have conversations while the Mic is on, lol!

But in all seriousness, that will be very very cool. Especially in a game that doesnt use a "radio" type of communication, but rather one that gets more and more quiet as you get farther from the source. It could very well recreate realistic speaking.

Hmm, I think that this sounds very cool. I would love to see this in action in a game like Ghost Recon.

Thread Information