Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XBOX Lite a reality, NOT Rumor!

Default XBOX Lite a reality, NOT Rumor!

I was talking to the owner of a local video game store over the weekend. We were discussing accessories, and third party accessory support. He said that they just received word from Microsoft that the DVD Kits would trickle to close to none. The reason for this is Microsoft will be releasing XBOX LITE at E3.

From what he said, it will be roughly the size of a Sega Dreamcast and will no longer have a built in hard-drive, but will have built in DVD playback support.

The main reason for this move his it will cost substantially less to manufacture.

The best part is, he said they will retail for $99! No more free game though.

Member on the run

I'll believe it when there is an official announcement at E3 or something. Until then...it is still a rumor.

Its possible, but never believe anything those clowns say.

Ive had game store employees tell me

- The GR add on Island thunder isnt real, because its not in the computer.

- Xbox will have DOA characters in soul calibur 2.

You get the point....I just dont feel the need to argue with them. Because they're dumb.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Default Re: XBOX Lite a reality, NOT Rumor!

Originally posted by chewy_fett
    will no longer have a built in hard-drive
    That was all you had to say to know that this is FAKE! The games wouldn't work without a harddrive since they are coded to cache to it. Let alone custom sound tracks, downloads, game saves.

Xbox Lite may be coming but with the specs you said, no way.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Default Re: XBOX Lite a reality, NOT Rumor!

I was talking to the owner of a local video game store over the weekend. We were discussing accessories, and third party accessory support. He said that they just received word from Microsoft that the DVD Kits would trickle to close to none. The reason for this is Microsoft will be releasing XBOX LITE at E3.

From what he said, it will be roughly the size of a Sega Dreamcast and will no longer have a built in hard-drive, but will have built in DVD playback support.

The main reason for this move his it will cost substantially less to manufacture.

The best part is, he said they will retail for $99! No more free game though.
    I extremely doubt they would take out the harddrive. That would leave some Xbox games unplayable. I think what you heard is a rumour, expecially seeing as the harddrives aren't that large, nor do they up the price much.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Hell, for the hard drive, it could be the same size that they use for laptops...no space at all really. And they won't get rid of it, like the others said, due to it's necessity for storage and it's huge selling point so you won't need memory cards.

Btw, helluva first post

Not to mention that if you dropped the hd, in a lot of games like SegaGT 2002 you wouldnt be able to save your game anymore. They wont let you save directly to memory cards, you have to save to the hard drive and then use the Xbox menu to transfer the save to the memorycard. That's the only way

that's why you don't talk to the people at the store they have a ton of bs rumors, all they do is talk all day about games and evetually they have to keep coming up with discussion topics so there gonna start bsing it's just a matter of time
    you can have my xbox, when you pry it from my cold dead hands

yup, the hardraive part didn't click with me. I don't believe it either, b/c this is noe feature that differentiates xbox from the other consoles.

I myself believe that xbox lite is just going to be a smaller version of the xbox with the same features.

Hey not all game store employees are bad. I watched one of em give a ps2 owner ****.... pretty funny. This thing is going to take a dive even if it comes out. The whole reason I bought XBOX was because of the built in hard drive. Also, why would someone buy this when they get 100 some dollars worth of games when they buy the original. One word... crash

XBA's Official Doctor Snake Eyez's Avatar

I smell something in this thread coming from chewy's direction.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

XBox Lite does not come with a hard-drive. Well, according to those that have less than 10 posts

Man, you guys must like ripping into someone that you don't agree with, huh? The guy I talked to was not a pimple faced employee, he owns the place, hence the reason I believe him.

The entire issue with the hard drive is a moot point in my opinion. I am not an engineer, and I think it is a safe bet that no one else waxing poetic with their "witty" smart ass comments are either.

That said, you don't know for a fact that the hard drive will be retained just as I don't know for a fact that it will be scraped.

It does sound completely logical that a smaller HDD could be used, and that may be the way it goes.

I smell something in this thread coming from chewy's direction.
    What does that mean?? I was simply relaying information that I thought would be pertinent to these boards. So, because I have no post count, and you don't personally agree with me, I'm shrugged off? I will never understand this concept, completely alien to me.

The PSKT is for...

Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
    XBox Lite does not come with a hard-drive. Well, according to those that have less than 10 posts
    exactly... never trust people with less than 10 posts, its the XBA way!

The Addict Formerly Known as Hidden Content / PapaSKooT-XBA

Wondering Around

Man, you guys must like ripping into someone that you don't agree with, huh? The guy I talked to was not a pimple faced employee, he owns the place, hence the reason I believe him.

The entire issue with the hard drive is a moot point in my opinion. I am not an engineer, and I think it is a safe bet that no one else waxing poetic with their "witty" smart ass comments are either.

That said, you don't know for a fact that the hard drive will be retained just as I don't know for a fact that it will be scraped.

It does sound completely logical that a smaller HDD could be used, and that may be the way it goes.

What does that mean?? I was simply relaying information that I thought would be pertinent to these boards. So, because I have no post count, and you don't personally agree with me, I'm shrugged off? I will never understand this concept, completely alien to me.

hahah, if it doesnt have a harddrive its not an xbox. Actually, it would be a PS2 (or GC), hmmm, never thought of that before.

and yes, you MUST have a harddrive for alot of the games to work. Its hardcoded into the games code to cache data on the harddrive for quicker retrieval, doing away with the harddrive would just create games that didn't work or worked so poorly there would be no reason to play the games. There is no debate, its called FACT.

Exactly, no harddrive means no Xbox. It would be a completely different system. The harddrive is needed to play most games.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Hi Chewy welcome. Don't get the wrong idea. Most people here are really nice. The way I see it you were just mentioning something you heard about the Xbox Lite. Nothing offensive about what you posted.

Originally posted by PapaShaddix
    exactly... never trust people with less than 10 posts, its the XBA way!

hmmm kinda funny seeing as how at one point you also had less than 10 posts. Did you not trust yourself during that rough patch of your life?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by Viper87227
    hmmm kinda funny seeing as how at one point you also had less than 10 posts. Did you not trust yourself during that rough patch of your life?
    You betcha! And, at one time, I was an idiot as well

Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
    You betcha! And, at one time, I was an idiot as well
    I thought you were always an idiot... Haha j/k

oh and i forgot to mention b4 that an xbox w/o a hard drive would also meen bad things for any XBL games with DL content

Thread Information