Poll: What do you prefer in a game?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realism vs Cartoon?

Do you know Tyler Durden? Blind-RazoR's Avatar

Default Realism vs Cartoon?

So what would you prefer?

Relistic Grafics over Cel Shading any time. Relistic Graphics add to the game, where Cel Shading just doesn't show anything great.
    Last edited by OuFtb; 04-02-2003 at 09:09 PM.
    Hidden Content

Thanks bretman1234 for the sig
    Hidden Content

I prefer realistic graphics over cell shaded ones, but both are fairly good. Realistic graphics add to the effect of the game, say, Halo. They make it more interesting, and easier to get into because of the type of game, etc. On the other hand, a disney game(**** that, I hope they never make one for Xbox, and if they already have, then we are all doomed) on the other hand, cell shading would add a more cartoony feel whilst still having the graphics capabilities.
    Last edited by Cryogenic Pyro; 04-03-2003 at 08:23 AM.

It all depeneds on the game. I have no real preference.
    Hidden Content
    Props for the sweet sig to xbocks.

I think Cel-Shading is pretty cool, like Jet Set Radio Future, I think that game looked awesome, I hated the gameplay but visually, it was cool. With realistic graphics, I tend to notice the flaws a lot more, whereas Cel-Shading looks flawless (IMO). Overall I don't really care, but I am slightly partial to Cel-Shading.
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

lol. seems to me that cel-shading, mostly (PS2) shows how weak the system is when they have to run really crap graphics...and yet everyone thinks its cool. I think the more Graphics the better the game (Looks wise that is)
    Hidden Content

Page 20,21 - 2 trades completed
    Lots of trades on TGN

I think it depends on the style of the game. I could never see JSRF as a game with realistic graphics, just as I couldn't see Morrowind with cel shading.

A game's graphics are good if they enhance the environment. Graphics are bad when they clash with the game's style. Example: Robotech's cel shading = terrible!! It may have been a cartoon and that's what they were trying to emulate, but it came out awful for a game of that nature. On the other hand, the cel shading in Taz Wanted and Loons made the games works of art (too bad the creators forgot that games also have to be fun!)

I prefer realistic graphics.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Halo2 should be cel shaded :P haha jk
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

lol halo 2 with cel shading? LOL yea right and while we are at it why dont we make the president hulk hogan but either way dont matter to me. if it is supposed to be cartoony then cel shading is great but if it is like splinter cell type stuff and the real life type thing it has to be realistic or it will be a joke....how about a re-release of splinter cell with cel shading that would be actually funny and when people get hit or shoot guns and stuff they should do the old batman BAM WHAP ZOW BOOM stuff lol
    BOW TO THE MIGHTY NHL! HOCKEY RULES!

i prefer realistic, but if the gameplay is very good ill play a cel shaded game too

I used to post here a lot.

Originally posted by Master Gracey
    I think it depends on the style of the game. I could never see JSRF as a game with realistic graphics, just as I couldn't see Morrowind with cel shading.

A game's graphics are good if they enhance the environment. Graphics are bad when they clash with the game's style. Example: Robotech's cel shading = terrible!! It may have been a cartoon and that's what they were trying to emulate, but it came out awful for a game of that nature. On the other hand, the cel shading in Taz Wanted and Loons made the games works of art (too bad the creators forgot that games also have to be fun!)
    Couldn't of said it better myself

I prefer realistic graphics over anything cell-shaded except Zelda, that game just flat out rules Lol Halo 2 cell-shaded would suck

Im with Master G on this one too. I do like realistic rendered graphics better though. Like fable, the face mesh looks great in that game, but it would be so bland if it was Cell shaded.
    Lets keep that cell shadeing on the PS2 and GC

Do you know Tyler Durden? Blind-RazoR's Avatar

If the game is fun, I does not matter what the graphics look like. Realistic is nice but I play games to get away from reality and I watch cartoons. I think it is a good change to make a couple games Cell Shaded.

Oh and sorry but there are a couple games coming to Xbox that are going to be cell shaded.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

Realistic is way better. I dont want to play a cartoon.

It depends on the theme of the game and what kind of vibe the creators are trying to accomplish

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by JJaX
    It depends on the theme of the game and what kind of vibe the creators are trying to accomplish
    I agree with you on this one. I couldnt see a game like Ghost Recon or Hitman 2 with Cell shaded graphics just as I couldnt see JSRF with realistic graphics, it would just ruin the game.

i prefer realistic graphics

I prefer realistic graphics but i guess it depends on the type of game.

Thread Information