Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Live with Satellite?

Default Xbox Live with Satellite?

Ok guys, I just got a satellite Internet connection for my PC...does anyone know if I can get Xbox like with satellite? or is it just for Cable and DSL?? If it is possible, how would it work? Would I LAN it with my PC or would a cable go right into the Ethernet port on my XBOX ?? Thanks
    When you're alarm goes off in the morning, do a backflip straight out of bed without even sitting up, do some pushups while dodging bullets in slow motion, then do a cartwheel into your car while spinning a CD on the tip of your finger ... now you're a unique individual.

Post some details on the connection, like the upload speed and download speed.

But i'm afraid most Satellite services are useless for online gaming, due the upload speed being too slow. Some use Dial up for upload other's use dsl.

But if the upload speed is over 128kb/s then it might be ok.

friggen Crap! Upload speed only about 40 kb/s , however, download is excellent...sometimes over 1000 kb/s....nice for music and video downloads
    When you're alarm goes off in the morning, do a backflip straight out of bed without even sitting up, do some pushups while dodging bullets in slow motion, then do a cartwheel into your car while spinning a CD on the tip of your finger ... now you're a unique individual.

bust a nut

Originally posted by Satch
    friggen Crap! Upload speed only about 40 kb/s , however, download is excellent...sometimes over 1000 kb/s....nice for music and video downloads
    my uplaod speed is 33 wiht 144 dl, and i still can play wiht no lag

Awesome...how do I get it hooked up? btw...I LOVE your "friggen Nintento" deal

Originally posted by irule23
    my uplaod speed is 33 wiht 144 dl, and i still can play wiht no lag

Is that 33Kb/s or 33kb/s ?? confusing i know but there is a difference.

If it is 33kb/s then i'm impressed by how little bandwidth Xbox Live needs.

Anyway, as someone once said "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" so give Live a go anyway.

Upload with satellite connection is 56k, just like dialup, the ping rate for it sucks, hell, the download is even crap. You should save money and look into getting DSL or cable. I had satellite before, it blows and I'll never go back to it.

Whatever man....My satellite is awesome...the upload might not be so great but who cares...the main thing I want is download speed, and I got it...I get 91% satellite strength and get over 1000 kb/s...that's damn good considering I had 56k with line noise and wet lines

My speeds vary SOO much. I always get 600 ul/1200 dl for pc, but for xbox it's always 600ul/300dl. What's up with that? Do i need a better ul or dl to have lag free games?
    MAKING A NEW SIG

How do you check your upload/download speeds? All I know is my communication speed, which is 2Mbit/s-4Mbit/s or more.

EDIT: Nevermind, my connection speed is 2000-4000 kbps and upload is 200-300+ Kbps.(all of these are bits)(Also, this is while running kazaa with about 10+ Uploads going.)
    EDIT2: Exited Kazaa and my upload speed is now 400-600+ kbps.
    EDIT3: To figure out your exact speed in kilobytes per second from kilobits per second the formula is KBits * 1000 / 8 / 1000, so a 500 kilobit per second upload speed would be 62.5 kilobytes per second.
    EDIT4: Frickin hell, this will be my last edit. I think the proper term for kilobits per second is kb/s or kbps and kilobytes per second is Kb/s or Kbps.
    Last edited by Cryogenic Pyro; 04-06-2003 at 05:59 PM.

Steve meant 128kilobits/s
    That's roughly 12.8KB/s which if you have anything above that you should be fine. You said you had about 40KB/s, so that would be plenty of speed. There is a difference between kilobits and kilobytes. ISP's advertise their speed as kilobits because it's a larger number so people think its faster when 128kb is the same as 12.8KB. See, the 128 looks bigger.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest Test your speed
    Last edited by Cyclone; 04-06-2003 at 05:39 PM.

Official Hitman of XBA Hitman101's Avatar

lol, you guys live in the stoneage I got 898 kbps upload and 3115 kbps while running KAZAA !! Anywayz go to : http://home.cfl.rr.com/eaa/Bandwidth.htm for some download test sites.
    Hidden Content

THE HITMAN IS BACK !!!! Yet again !!!

bust a nut

Originally posted by Hitman101
    lol, you guys live in the stoneage I got 898 kbps upload and 3115 kbps while running KAZAA !! Anywayz go to : http://home.cfl.rr.com/eaa/Bandwidth.htm for some download test sites.
    damn, that should be able to host 16 players wiht explosive mode on and infinite respawn on the level training

is that right?

Damn that's fast....Well I still don't know how to go about hooking up Xbox Live. Anyway, to clear it all up, I get around 20 - 50 kiloBITS a sec. sooo..how do I do this shiznit??

Originally posted by Satch
    Damn that's fast....Well I still don't know how to go about hooking up Xbox Live. Anyway, to clear it all up, I get around 20 - 50 kiloBITS a sec. sooo..how do I do this shiznit??
    20 - 50 probably isn't good enough for Xbox live, because the stuff you need is about 16Kilobytes/s, and 50kilobits is 6.25 Kilobytes/s.
    Last edited by Cryogenic Pyro; 04-06-2003 at 09:03 PM.

bust a nut

hey, why not just drop satilite and go dsl or cable?

Originally posted by irule23
    hey, why not just drop satilite and go dsl or cable?
    Maybe it's his only choice as a high speed internet connection. You can get satellite anywhere in the world. The same cant be said about cable and dsl

Originally posted by Cyclone
    Maybe it's his only choice as a high speed internet connection. You can get satellite anywhere in the world. The same cant be said about cable and dsl
    That's probably the case. Where I'm at now, I can get either DSL or Cable, but we're building a house and moving and neither option is available at the new house. However, there is a company offering a wireless option that I'm hoping will work (w/ the terrain and all).

From Speakeasy.net

2003-04-07 15:43:29 EST: 5740 / 942
    Your download speed : 5740298 bps, or 5740 kbps.
    A 700.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 942063 bps, or 942 kbps.
    Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

xbAWOL

i was reading the letter box in one of the xbox mags, not sure if it was xbn or oxm, and some kid was asking if his satelite connection would work for xbl, and they said microsoft doesnt officially support satelite internet, and they werent sure(the mag people) if it would work.

my suggestion is if there is cable or dsl avaliable in your are, buy XBL, see if it works with your satelite connection, and if it doesnt, just drop the dish and get dsl or cable!

Thread Information