Thread: Infogrames changes name to Atari

Default Infogrames changes name to Atari

gamespydaily.com
    French publisher gets new identity, dropping 20-year-old name.
    Wednesday May 7, 2003 | Aramo

The new corporate layout.
    French publisher Infogrames has changed its name to Atari, dropping the Infogrames brand that it has been borne since the company was founded in 1983. The France-based parent company will continue to be known as Infogrames Entertainment SA since the process for changing the company's name will take longer there.

"What we have decided to do, following a very precise strategy, effectively is to adopt this brand Atari," Atari CEO Bruno Bonnell told Reuters. "Clearly we feel like it is the symbol of the global company that we became during the last two years."

Infogrames acquired the Atari trademark in early 2001 when it took over Hasbro Interactive. The brand was relaunched in October 2001 as a games publishing label.

Bonnell emphasized 65 percent of Atari's key business is now done in the U.S., rather than in its native country France. The company cut 60 percent of its French workforce last year, coping with serious financial problems. With the upcoming Enter the Matrix game, however, Atari has experienced an over 130 percent rise of its shares on the NASDAQ since announcing development on the title had been completed on April 18.
    Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

Well they definitely needed a new name, IMO, but I dunno if Atari is the name I woulda chosen. Granted, the Atari name is known the world over, but mere mention of it evokes feelings of nostalgia, not feelings of cutting edge gaming technology.

No matter what, I will always see the 2600 console in my mind when I hear the name Atari, and I'm sure that is NOT what the company wants.

Originally posted by VAN
    Well they definitely needed a new name, IMO, but I dunno if Atari is the name I woulda chosen. Granted, the Atari name is known the world over, but mere mention of it evokes feelings of nostalgia, not feelings of cutting edge gaming technology.

No matter what, I will always see the 2600 console in my mind when I hear the name Atari, and I'm sure that is NOT what the company wants.
    I agree about the ATARI part but I think they could keep there old name. I think this is silly and does not reflect a true change or redirection. I guess that maybe I dont fully understand.
    Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

Yeah, me neither. Did Infogrames buy Atari? Or is it the other way around? Is it the same Atari that came out with the home systems all those years ago? What the heck ~

Member on the run

That's something I'd like to know...how the hell do they even have the rights to the name?

Registered User dances with broom sticks's Avatar

Didnt it say that they bought hasbro which owned atari, making them the owners of atari? Wouldnt that give them the rights to the name?

Formerly Jerred B Dyslexic Chaos's Avatar

Talking answers

Yes, infogrames bought atari. They bought Atari and made them a mere developement studio. But i wouldn't change the name to Atari again. I would go in the opposite direction. Maybe I'd name it Irata. Sound good and almost witty... almost.

Registered User dances with broom sticks's Avatar

Default Re: answers

Originally posted by Jerred B
    Yes, infogrames bought atari. They bought Atari and made them a mere developement studio. But i wouldn't change the name to Atari again. I would go in the opposite direction. Maybe I'd name it Irata. Sound good and almost witty... almost.
    That reminds me of SEGA, and how they used to make those kids electronics and call them AGES....

Infogrames bought Hasbro Interactive which owned the rights to Atari. Therefor Infogrames now owns the rights to Atari. I think it is a smart move on their part to change the name to Atari. That is instant name recognition the world over. I know it may inspire some nostalgia but just think of the new slogan they could use>

"This isn't your Dad's Atari!!"
    Killing is my business and business is good!

Member on the run

It's true that name recognition gets your product further, but still...I'm not sure I can really accept them as Atari.

Retired Giveaway Guru BigJosh359's Avatar

Default Re: Infogrames changes name to Atari

Originally posted by Brevity
    gamespydaily.com
    French publisher gets new identity, dropping 20-year-old name.
    Wednesday May 7, 2003 | Aramo

The new corporate layout.
    French publisher Infogrames has changed its name to Atari, dropping the Infogrames brand that it has been borne since the company was founded in 1983. The France-based parent company will continue to be known as Infogrames Entertainment SA since the process for changing the company's name will take longer there.

"What we have decided to do, following a very precise strategy, effectively is to adopt this brand Atari," Atari CEO Bruno Bonnell told Reuters. "Clearly we feel like it is the symbol of the global company that we became during the last two years."

Infogrames acquired the Atari trademark in early 2001 when it took over Hasbro Interactive. The brand was relaunched in October 2001 as a games publishing label.

Bonnell emphasized 65 percent of Atari's key business is now done in the U.S., rather than in its native country France. The company cut 60 percent of its French workforce last year, coping with serious financial problems. With the upcoming Enter the Matrix game, however, Atari has experienced an over 130 percent rise of its shares on the NASDAQ since announcing development on the title had been completed on April 18.

Does anybody ever read the news on the frontpage of XBA?

Default Re: Re: Infogrames changes name to Atari

Actually, I think this was up a bit before the front page news. Our members are really good at catching stories, and fast.

Retired Giveaway Guru BigJosh359's Avatar

I made a comment on this news post at 4 AM this morning. Stupid forums times! PROVED ME WRONG AGAIN! DANG THEM!!!
    Last edited by BigJosh359; 05-07-2003 at 03:30 PM.

Formerly Jerred B Dyslexic Chaos's Avatar

Originally posted by Josh-XBA
    I made a comment on this news post at 4 AM this morning. Stupid forums times! PROVED ME WRONG AGAIN! DANG THEM!!!
    yeah, i think the forum times are pretty screwed up...

Thread Information