Thread: xbox hardware versions

Default xbox hardware versions

I've heard of multiple versions of the system (kinda like how microsoft releases everything in multiple versions, but gives them all the same name.)
    I bought two xboxen; manufacture dates:
    5/18/02 & 8/30/02

Does anyone know the differences/release versions/etc.?

TIA,
    Len

The only difference I know of is the first wave of Xbox's had a worse DVD drive.

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

I don't know but maybe this is the main source about DDE ? Can anyone tell me that some new versions doesn't get that at all or just the same ?
    Back into the world of gaming.

I bought my Xbox 1 week after launch and I've never had a DDE error. The newer ones will read CD-Rs while the older ones will only read authentic music CDs and CD-RWs.

i got my xbox the day it came out, and the only DDE's ive had were with the oxm discs...

THE REAL BOSS

I've also had mine since the first day it came out and have never had a DDE. The newer xbox's use a cheaper motherboard with genric chipsets and also use a better cd drive. Anything to save money. :o
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

Originally posted by Ford_Mustang
    I bought my Xbox 1 week after launch and I've never had a DDE error. The newer ones will read CD-Rs while the older ones will only read authentic music CDs and CD-RWs.
    *exactly* my point. does anyone know what differentiates those (that recognize cd-r) from the others? if you have a unit that does, what is the manufacture date?

peas.

I am not completely sure of the date when they started using the different DVD drive and stuff. I do, however, have a friend that got his Xbox this past Christmas and his has the new DVD drive in it. So I'm guessing probably Q3 - Q4 of last year is when they changed. Hope that helped

The newer Xbox's have different dvd drivers (Some made by Tomson and Samsung I believe) and they have different motherboards. The older 2 are easier to mod I believe and the 2 newest Xbox's have beefier heatsinks and no longer have a fan on the videochip.

Thread Information