Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can an xbox hard drive..

Default Can an xbox hard drive..

Can an xbox hard drive replace a different xbox hard drive (in the xbox). Keep in mind both drives have all original out of box files on them. Can this be done with out modifications and simply plug and play type function?

Nope won't work, you'll cause major problems.

Could you explain what type of problems? Why it wont work?

Depends what you're putting in there. You could crash the whole thing or make it over heat or get you're killed just by opening it. There's a power supply with cans on it. It holds electricty and if you touch it you could die.

Death by Xbox!

But it seems to me you could avoid that by.......unplugging it.

You tottally misunderstood. Iam just asking, WILL it actually work after I dont die? Or will the xbox still error.

Unplugged or not, the electricty is stored in those towers and someone touching them will get it all released into them. Yes, I believe it will cause an error.

THE REAL BOSS

Originally posted by zeve
    You tottally misunderstood. Iam just asking, WILL it actually work after I dont die? Or will the xbox still error.

The HD will not work because the sectors ID #'s are coded to work with the xbox they are currently in. If you go to switch them you will have mismatched ID #'s.

It will not work.
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

Just not plug and play then right? There are ways to (ending that sentence there because stupid casper will probably ban me)
    RIP Dave

Formerly Jerred B Dyslexic Chaos's Avatar

Originally posted by Holt88
    Unplugged or not, the electricty is stored in those towers and someone touching them will get it all released into them. Yes, I believe it will cause an error.
    Yeah, um, those "Towers" are called Capacitors. And by the looks of the size of the Xbox, they can't be very large. One the size of your fist coluldn't kill you. It would HURT, but it wouldn't kill you, because it only holds a short BURST or electrivity, good for things like sub-woofers in stereos where you may need a quick burst of electricity, and that's usually where the BIG ones are. Trust me, I am in my fourth year of electronics. BTW, no, unless you do something illegal to your 'box, which, like duke, i wont mention, you cannot swap the hard drives. Well, at least you know now that the Xbox won't kill you... Uless it falls on you or something...

Ha, lifting up an xbox can kill you. That **** weighs alot lol. When you say ilegal, do you mean hardware wise or software wise.

Formerly Jerred B Dyslexic Chaos's Avatar

i'm not at liberty to say...

THE REAL BOSS

Ha, lifting up an xbox can kill you. That **** weighs alot lol. When you say ilegal, do you mean hardware wise or software wise.

Just know you can't do it.

Either or.

Look, this isn't really the site to look for assistance in replacing parts for your Xbox. We stand by the rules that when you buy an xbox game there is a non-disclosure in the agreement saying you cannot dissect, modify or in any way reverse engineer any xbox licensed software or hardware, doing so voids your warranty. This site works very close with Microsoft and therefore sticks by what rules they have. So let's just please try and keep this on a legit topic or it will get closed like the other one.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Casper-XBA; 08-29-2003 at 12:20 PM.

Renegade of funk

Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
    Just not plug and play then right? There are ways to (ending that sentence there because stupid casper will probably ban me)
    He's not the only one eyeballing this thread!

Doing a good job avoiding the big no-no.

As per the topic, as I understand, you can't swap xbox drives yourself. I was reading somewhere that your componants have internal ID numbers and they all have to be correct or it won't work. If you have a legit problem with your xbox, then you need to have it serviced byMicrosoft.

**** THOSE ****ERS AT MICROSOFT.

Iam not paying for ****. Iam gonna rip this mother ****er apart. They want $100 bucks? Suck my nuts!!!!!

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

Well, not really sure if is gonna work or not but what wrong with your Xbox now ? Something bad happened ?
    Back into the world of gaming.

I never modded my xbox at all and in the middle of playing evil dead it freezes. I try turing it on and it says it needs service and theres a 05 error message. I checked and that means my HD is unlocked. So Iam trying to fix this without any mods. If you guys would stop going off topic and maybe helping me that would be good.

THE REAL BOSS

I never modded my xbox at all and in the middle of playing evil dead it freezes. I try turing it on and it says it needs service and theres a 05 error message. I checked and that means my HD is unlocked. So Iam trying to fix this without any mods. If you guys would stop going off topic and maybe helping me that would be good.

As we have stated there is no way to fix this unless you send it into microsoft. They use a special hardware device that codes the Harddrive to work properly in your system. Sounds like your kernel is corrupted. Replacing it with another HD wont work. If you have already opened your xbox your pretty much SOL because that automaticaly voids the warranty. If you have run out of options go buy a new xbox for $179 .

Originally posted by ChaoticMage

If you have run out of options go buy a new xbox for $179 .
    I see that as

If you have run out of options go buy a new PS2 for $179 .

Thread Information