Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Spectrum Warrior

Default Full Spectrum Warrior

If you're going to war, you take an Xbox. And not just to use as a club, says Edge

'You DO something. It looks COOL. You feel SMART.' It's the first thing Edge sees scrawled on Pandemic's whiteboard, and over the next few hours it will become apparent how well it has implemented its mantra into Full Spectrum Warrior.

The core of the game is very simple. You control two teams of four - a team leader, a grenadier, a rifleman and an automatic rifleman.

Instructions - which boil down to move and fire - can be issued to the team as a whole, or to each individual via the D-pad. The soldiers respond as trained infantrymen would, assuming the correct formation to round corners and returning fire if fired upon. But this isn't Conflict: Desert Storm, you have no direct control over your men - you never run anywhere, you never pull a trigger.

From these simple building blocks, FSW allows for the formulation of fairly complex manoeuvres. 'Bounding' allows you to split the team into a two-by-two move and cover pattern: first select the point you want your men to reach, then select the fire sector you want the first two men to cover when they reach that point. Set it in motion and your team will execute, the last two covering the first two and then the first two returning the favour. Get your second team in on the act and your head starts to hurt. Negotiating ten feet in FSW is as taxing as 100 yards in many superficially similar games.

More info

Default yeah Full Spectrum!!!!

boy I am going to be poor this next March. Halo 2 AND full spectrum. Does anyone know if FSW is based in only one area of operations or one theatre??? I would really like to some snow/woodland/night uniforms.
    Till Eric Cartman loses weight, make mine XBOX!!

2 born killers of society Hard Boiled Cop's Avatar

I think its only one. Its in the middle east right so I guess no snow. There probably is gonig to be night time but I don't know.

I was all psyched up about this game watching the videos and everything until that you don't do any of the shooting yourself. You just tell the units on the screen where to go. I will definately still check it out though.

2 born killers of society Hard Boiled Cop's Avatar

Well its meant to be an RTS so I don't think they should add some shooting init.

Yeah, I scratched this off my list cause of me not being able to shoot anyone. If I want to move people around, I'll play the sims, screw this.

No adversarial mode over XBL is what killed this game for me.

Appy-polly-loggies.

This game looks quite amazing and sounds even better. I am really hyped.

Its a definite buy for me, the games about leadership, stratetgy and working your teams. I think this one will be a surefire winner. The 15min video of in game action looks the biz. Imo.
    "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

No, this isn't my type of game. I really don't like stradegy games like this. Moving people, telling them to lay cover or kill someone just sounds really boring to me.
    Hidden Content
    "Happiness is having a scratch for every itch."-Ogden Nash

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I'll definately rent this before buying it. I have to see this bad boy in action before I lay down 50 bones on it. The premise is extremely interesting and I've been watching this game close for a long time...so, I'm pretty pumped up about checking this mama jama out

On a side note, it says the thread starter is chronic yet direct x seems to have started it. Are they one and the same?
    "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Renegade of funk

Read me my interview!

Click me, Naw mean?

Just got word that FSW got pushed back to June, by the way.

Default NO SHOOTIN!!!

the game sounds gd all apart from the non-shootin, i mean wtf i **** play tht game and not get bored, the hole fun tht i have on games is shootin people and i dont like stratagy, conflicrt desert storm 2 has enoff stratagie for me so i think that i wont be byin this game.

Craziest Mofo in the XBA Crazy Joe's Avatar

Originally posted by sojourner
    On a side note, it says the thread starter is chronic yet direct x seems to have started it. Are they one and the same?
    yup, chronic's name was changed to Direct X since this thread had been started.

Originally posted by Holt88
    Yeah, I scratched this off my list cause of me not being able to shoot anyone. If I want to move people around, I'll play the sims, screw this.
    May still be fun for strategists but I need to shoot someone. I'll check it out though.

This is MY HOME

February 05, 2004 - We received word from THQ today that Full Spectrum Warrior, the squad-based military strategy game developed by Pandemic Studios, has been pushed back from its originally expected March release to June 8, 2004.

While no official reason was given for the change, THQ mentioned the title as being among those now slated for its new fiscal year. There's a good chance, then, that the release was changed for financial considerations.

What a bunch of idiots. I might be releasing riiiight near Halo 2. Then they're just flat out stupid and FSW will not sell because of Halo 2. 4-5 months delayed for what? Big F on their part for the release of this game. Release the game right near Halo 2, then go out of business and make me happy.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Yeah...that's not exactly the best Corporate decision to make...releasing this game around the time Halo 2 is coming out.

I predict that Halo 2 will be one of the only games being played on XBox Live...until people become burnt out on it (which will likely take a long ass time)

Can you control individual soldiers? Can you shoot from a first person POV?

FSW is based on controlling squads of men. It was created to teach squad leaders how to command, not to simulate individual control of soldiers. While we may let you give individual fire sectors in the final game, letting you have full control of an individual soldier disrupts the flow of the game and actually removes you from your command position.

Does Full Spectrum Warrior support Xbox Live?

Yes we plan to offer full support for Live. More details will be coming, but for now we can say the game will support a two-player, online cooperative mode.

How does Full Spectrum Warrior differ from America’s Army?

America’s Army is used as a recruiting tool by the Army. Full Spectrum Warrior is based off an actual simulation program designed to help train troops in Military Operations in Urban Terrain or M.O.U.T.

I wonder what else they might do for Live. Maybe there's a reason why they're delaying it so long, could it be they're adding in a seprate mode where you actually give commands and control a solider to shoot? Or possibly adding more things for XBox Live.

BinaryXtreme

Not my type of game either. Would be nice if it let you choose how you wanted to play the game. Interested to hear from players after it comes out how they like it though.

Thread Information