Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IGN's look at Xbox 2 - backwards compatibility

Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Good article, but it's basically just IGN's hopes for what will be included. Nothing new here, just opinion.
    Hidden Content "Stack dead actors, stacked to the rafters
    Line up the b*stards all I want is the truth"

I think the Xbox 2 will have some more ground-breaking technology than what IGN is dreaming of (just my thoughts of course). And IGN simply saying No to backwards compadability, I think thats a bit premature, why not include it? It makes sense.

truthfully, some of the stuff that they want, i could care less about. Im buying a console gaming system, not a multimedia center. I already have a dvd player. I already have a computer to watch multimedia files. as far as wireless, tahts cool, but they still better include a wired network as well. the headphone jack thing is pointless. and xbox 2 better be backwards compatible
    "Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination." - Mark Twain

Originally posted by jelgiad
    and xbox 2 better be backwards compatible
    Amen to that!!!

[and xbox 2 better be backwards compatible ]
    oh trust me it will

I don't get this:

Backwards Compatibility

This one is pretty obvious. Like the PlayStation 2 plays PS One games, we want the Xbox 2 to play Xbox games. Simple as that. Not only does this dramatically increase the game library right when the console is released, but it gives gamers a cheap way to buy and play games from an older generation. Look at how successful the PS2 is. We can't think of any gamer out there that wouldn't love to have this feature. Plus, we could still keep our Xbox games out while retiring one console, cutting down on the console mess many of us have in front of our television.

Will it happen? No.
    Page 2.

This looks like an error, or maybe a lame IGN attempt at humor. WTF?

PS:
    I would like a headphone jack.

Psychotic Captain of EoE ShadowWolf's Avatar

A headphone jack, they could make something like the Xbox Live communicator and have the sound come through the controller, cause I don't sit near my Xbox.

If it doesn't have backwards compadability (WHich it most likely will), I won't buy it.
    -The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limit
    -To be Old and Wise you first have to be Young and Stupid

It would be EXTREMELY SMART for them to feature backwards compatability and they know that. So it is either sarcasm or an error.

Originally posted by j4320

Amen to that!!!
    Amen and Hallejuh! That would be a waste. I might as well stop buying xbox games now and save up for the second coming.

This is MY HOME

So whens it coming out again? 2006?

Xbox 2 is still a couple years away. So for now I will worry about my Xbox collection libary. By the time Xbox 2 comes out I will probably have bought 1-2 more Xboxes the way my luck is going with them. I am on my 3rd, at least this time I got a samsung DVD drive.
    Hidden Content

In the war of the worlds, the world will lose!

They are going with a different platform (the IBM Power PC like chip) and that means the coding and all sorts of other stuff will be different.

Either they can do some sort of emulation, which I'm doubting would be possible, or they have to have a bunch of old hardware added to run the old games. PS2 has all sorts of extra junk in it to play PS1 games and that is also a reason for the high failure rate of PS2s.

I think I'd rather buy a $30 Xbox if mine breaks then have all the extra junk and cost in Xbox 2. Backwards compatability in my PS2 is nice, but I still have a PS1 and if I did I can get one for $30. Backward compatability isn't a big deal.

With the platform change backwards compatiblility has a slim to none chance of happening and thats why IGN said NO.

ps shrinking down PS1 stuff is A LOT easier then shrinking down an intel chip, motherboard, Hard drive and video card. Not to mention it would likely cost more then the Xbox 2 stuff alone.

Oh yeah, that article sucked, it had nothing to do with the real hardware, just a bunch of add on crap that would be useless for most user and jack up prices. They should have added the Eye Toy to their lame list while they were at it. The IGN jerks should just by a PC if they want all that crap

Just stay on your grind DocHoliday78's Avatar

That would be so badass if it was backward compatable. I hope it was some lame humour by ign to just put no.

Did you all miss the part at the end where they said they were going to make another article tomorow saying what they KNOW will be in the system?
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Originally posted by OC Noob
    They are going with a different platform (the IBM Power PC like chip) and that means the coding and all sorts of other stuff will be different.
    I don't understand why changing the CPU or graphics card etc. would matter. Let me caution you: I'm merely a computer dilettante, so there's a high probability I'll be wrong about this. IIRC, the Xbox uses DirectX for most of its game developing. Assuming the Xbox 2 also uses DirectX and has a properly programmed OS, wouldn't backward compatability be a snap? I mean regardless of hardware, I would think that it would be automatic. Am I right? Can someone confirm this?

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    Did you all miss the part at the end where they said they were going to make another article tomorow saying what they KNOW will be in the system?
    No, we're patiently waiting for any and all updates and follow-ups.

Actually, I believe OC was referring to the new discs that are said to be considered for the next XBox and the hardware needed for them. THey won't be regular DVD's but more like Nintendos 8 inchers. They hold more info and help with copyright protection. Smaller DVD tray/slot = no ability to load DVDs.

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    Actually, I believe OC was referring to the new discs that are said to be considered for the next XBox and the hardware needed for them. THey won't be regular DVD's but more like Nintendos 8 inchers. They hold more info and help with copyright protection. Smaller DVD tray/slot = no ability to load DVDs.
    No way! You've got to be kidding me. Was that in this article? I don't remember reading that anywhere.

Even if they do go to a small disc (a mistake in my mind) I doubt they'll make the tray smalller. They need to maintain the Xbox 2's full functionality, that means DVD player among other things. So this strikes me as unlikely, espescially Microsofts "livingroom" ambitions. Microsoft, more than any other of the big three, wants its console to be more than just a console.

No matter what XBOX 2 is gonna be hot

Originally posted by NY89
    No matter what XBOX 2 is gonna be hot
    No, it will be "hot" if and only if the Xbox 2 has "hot" features and specs.

Thread Information