Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My on-line nightmare

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Default My on-line nightmare

Dudes...help me figure out what's wrong here:

I went out and purchased a Switch (Hub). It's a Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch (five port). Here was my hook-up:

I hooked the modem to the up-link port on the Switch. Then, from one of the ports, I used a CAT 5 patch cable that was connected to my computer's ethernet port and hooked that into another port in the Switch.

Now, my question: Shouldn't I be able to get on the internet with this type of hookup?

Are you trying to share an internet connection amongst 2 pcs?

Once I am able to get on the internet, I will hook up my XBox so I can play Halo on-line. I have Gamespy already installed...now I just need to figure out what the hell is wrong

Originally posted by Charlie_CO
    Are you trying to share an internet connection amongst 2 pcs?
    No...just one PC.

Max is it a cable modem router/switch

if so did you call your local cable modem provider and let them know you added the device. you have to give them the mac address of of the router. right now the cable modem is looking for the mac address of the network card on your computer. they should be able to walk you through the steps.

if you are hooked up to 1 IP and have DSL or Cable, it probably won't work with a switch. You will need 2 IP's to do so. From what I read, getting a router instead of a switch will let you link your Xbox and PC to one IP address depending how many ports you get with your router. I don't know if that's the problem your getting or not.
    Not only is my opinion biased, it's better.

Originally posted by thedrisc
    Max is it a cable modem router/switch

if so did you call your local cable modem provider and let them know you added the device. you have to give them the mac address of of the router. right now the cable modem is looking for the mac address of the network card on your computer. they should be able to walk you through the steps.
    Good idea...But, I called AT&T Broadband (cable internet) and they told me that I have to contact Linksys, the maker of the Switch. lol...I went ahead and did that last night...around midnight...and they said I had a "125 minute wait" ...lol...yeah, right! lol

Originally posted by noodleboy
    if you are hooked up to 1 IP and have DSL or Cable, it probably won't work with a switch. You will need 2 IP's to do so. From what I read, getting a router instead of a switch will let you link your Xbox and PC to one IP address depending how many ports you get with your router. I don't know if that's the problem your getting or not.
    Well, to my understanding, the Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch is also a router, so, I think it will utilize one IP address. It's a pretty top notch Switch...but, not overkill...to my understanding, anyway.

Max return it and get a cable modem router. if your use a switch only then you will have to pay for an extra ip address from your cable provider for the xbox. if you get the router you only need one ip.

this is thier cable router/4port switch

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...rid=23&prid=20

what's your model # for the switch?

thedrisc:

That's the one I plan on getting, one of my buddies got it and he said it works perfectly.

Max return it and get a cable modem router. if your use a switch only then you will have to pay for an extra ip address from your cable provider for the xbox. if you get the router you only need one ip.

this is thier cable router/4port switch

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...rid=23&prid=20
    Dude, that's cool and all, but, to me, this seems like it might be an overkill. In other words, should I buy a Ferrari when all I need is a Volkswagon? I see your point...but, I thought my Switch did exactly what it's supposed to without having to add an IP address. I have a nephew that has gone on-line to play Halo and he owns the exact same Switch....and, as far as I know, he only has one IP address. This is wierd...lol

its really good. plus I think the price is alot cheaper now than when I bought. its like $99.00. I bought it for like $175.00.

I had some problems with online games until I figured out there was a DMZ setting. I had to add my computer ip to the DMZ then everything worked fine. counter stike was giving me the problem.

what's your model # for the switch?
    I am pretty d a m n sure that it's this one: http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=24&prid=149

Check the first review from this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...010877-8692050[/URL]

I do not know much game spy online program. maybe it can work that way but in the future for the MS online network the xbox will need its own ip instead of using your PC's info. so I think evetually you will need the router anyway.

Check the first review from this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...010877-8692050[/URL]
    Dude, I think that just answered my question...thanks Noodleboy! My nephew must have more than one IP address, otherwise, this switch will not work. Bummer!!!! I guess I need to take it back...I am sitting on the phone waiting for customer service...I'm calling Linksys directly. I'll let you all know what's happening or what they say. You guys are awesome! Thanks drisc and noodleboy!

Hey, thedrisc...beer and bliss

I do not know much game spy online program. maybe it can work that way but in the future for the MS online network the xbox will need its own ip instead of using your PC's info. so I think evetually you will need the router anyway.
    Yeah, I think you're right....I'm on the phone with customer service at Linksys...I'll keep you dudes posted...it should be another 15 minutes or so

you welcome and good luck max

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Not a problem,

And as far as the 4port router, I just saw it at Best Buy for $79, not too bad.

Thread Information